BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Gear     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ranger Gear

I feel meh posting here but would rather just know. With meleeing jobs, IE MNK, WAR, SAM, blah blah, gear is normally Acc > Haste > Attack > Str where you cant get the other three for TP, then STR for WS with enough Acc to hit all hits. (Genealized yes, but you get the idea)

Ahm, now the question. What is it for Ranger? It seems a lot of RNG either buff STR or AGI, and end-game, not much Acc at all, given +43 or whatever is nice with Acc bonus 4. Also, is AGI or STR is better to stack for Archery and Markmenship, or just something else.

Main slots I am unsure of are Main Weapon (Kbell+Fran or Vulcan), Earring (Triump or Drone or ?) Rings (Merman/Behemoth or STR or AGI(never seen, but meh)), Feet, and Waist. Those are the most common items I see in these slots on RNGs I have seen.

Mainly I am just wondering what endgame setups people use on RNG. So, if post pics or lists of your gear, Weapon, (Obviously Markmenship and Archery differ) or just general builds you go for. I am sure there are different setups for different situations, but... you get the idea < <

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Here's a helpful link, but mind you that it only considers optimal damage, with no regard to accuracy: LOLALLATHREAD?

Myself, I'm an Obow/Holy Bolt RNG on almost everything, so I'll throw my data in.. But too tired to put any input. z.z

Main: Kriegs
    Sub: Franny
    Ranged: O Bow, holy/acid/dsteel
    Head: O hat/Scout's Beret depending on acc
    Neck: Faith Torque(previously RNG necklace and Qiqirn Collar)
    L.Ear: Brutal (for melee and lack of options)
    R.Ear: Suppanomimi (melee, 2 agi yay)
    Body: Osode
    Hands: CFG
    L&R.Ring: Behemoth
    Back: Amemet+1
    Waist: RKBelt+2
    Legs: Scout's
    Feet: Suzaku's Sune-Ate

There are some things I'd replace if I had access to them (scout's belt comes to mind..) but with 8 marksmanship merits this works nicely for me on most things. For WS, listhing things that change:

Head: O hat
    Neck: Light Gorget
    L.ear: Vision Earring
    R.ear: Genin Earring
    Hands: Seiryu's
    Feet: Scout's

I don't buy into the STR+omglookatitall ACCwut? epeen stuff that everyone is into. Would rather land 9/10 Slugs for x damage than 5-6/10 for x+1. But that's just me. If you're looking for sheer damage, the link I posted at the top will help you out there, and in circumstances where you're subbing NIN (almost every), Kriegs/Fran will outdamage Vulcan's.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Highest buffed RNG in LS typically uses this gear for their WS (8/8 Marksmanship merits btw)

Vulcan's Staff
    Hellfire+1/Culverin+1 (mob depending)
    Wyvern Helm+1
    Breeze Gorget
    Triumphx2
    Osode
    Seiryu's Kote
    Rajas Ring/Triumph Ring
    Amemet Mantle+1
    Scout's Belt
    Scout's Braccae
    Savage Gaiters

With the recent change to Ranged Attacks their accuracy on Sidewinders is still more then good enough even while eating attack food. Sidewinder definitely functions best with STR piling.

This one comes to mind I guess O.o (this was a few months ago, so I don't really know if this damage would be higher following the recent patch) She did something in the range of 1750 to our last Kirin as well

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2422/img0163yv2.png

Blackice

Makes me almost want to finally unlock RNG =/

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    pic 'n' stuff
    Assuming that was with WAR sub, right? NIN sub is sorta useless for that fight, anyways, especially if you're good at getting away. And Chlevnik is so fun to damage, his eva and defense are like nonexistant. xD I think my record is nearly 2k with a Slug on him, but like I said I usually sub NIN and I don't buff myself for my WS with STR at the expense of great deals of accuracy. Yeah I think I did a 1k Slug on Kirin once with my Culverin, NIN sub, coeurl subs, and minuets, but to me that just isn't worth it if I only hit 1-2/4 of them, compared to 500-600 damage with nin sub, sushi, acc gear, and maybe a prelude and minuet every time. :/

Though I guess it's all personal preference, I just hate missing them. Especially in xp, where you're up to y'anno chain 40 and if only you had hit that Slug Shot, the Skoffin would have died and it would have been chain 41. :/ Gawd I hate missing WS in meripo. So, I try to build my RNG around hitting almost every time rather than giant damage, and that's how I personally enjoy the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice
    Makes me almost want to finally unlock RNG =/
    I was thinking that too, then I remembered how broke I am.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Michaera
    Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    pic 'n' stuff
    Assuming that was with WAR sub, right? NIN sub is sorta useless for that fight, anyways, especially if you're good at getting away. And Chlevnik is so fun to damage, his eva and defense are like nonexistant. xD I think my record is nearly 2k with a Slug on him, but like I said I usually sub NIN and I don't buff myself for my WS with STR at the expense of great deals of accuracy. Yeah I think I did a 1k Slug on Kirin once with my Culverin, NIN sub, coeurl subs, and minuets, but to me that just isn't worth it if I only hit 1-2/4 of them, compared to 500-600 damage with nin sub, sushi, acc gear, and maybe a prelude and minuet every time. :/

Though I guess it's all personal preference, I just hate missing them. Especially in xp, where you're up to y'anno chain 40 and if only you had hit that Slug Shot, the Skoffin would have died and it would have been chain 41. :/ Gawd I hate missing WS in meripo. So, I try to build my RNG around hitting almost every time rather than giant damage, and that's how I personally enjoy the job.
    They rarely have any problem hitting, they use a full acc/ranged attack setup for TPing, and switch to STR for WS. With Breeze Gorget, Seiryu's Kote, Scout's Belt/Braccae, and the extra AGI from Osode (on top of capped merits), they don't commonly miss more then one Slug Shot whenever we do that KS99.

I guess it should stated that they still kind of take what you could call an "old school" approach to RNG. They leveled RNG after the patch about a year ago, and after the recent patch they still usually prefer to stand at a farther range then melee. Also the 1.7 slug was with 2hour minuet and STR etude up.

Edit: Yeah, /WAR

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So, Looks like its STR > AGI > Ratt for WS, but what about TP building? For melees, STR does very little while TPing. My main confusion was if RNG was different. Is it best to TP in Racc mainly, or STR/AGI also? It also seems that STR is better than AGI no matter what? Just a few confusions on my part.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Check that link I posted at the top of the topic, it's very good for questions like that. It'll tell ya all that you need to know (even if it's Alla). As far as I've ever seen, the information is entirely accurate.

I wish VZX would come to our boards.

Edit: I should elaborate... As far as TPing goes, if you consider just ranged attacks, r.atk is the way to go, adding r.acc where you can when you need it to keep your acc ~90%. Although since the last RNG fix, a lot of people have been meleeing again and sporting things like snipers, Brutal/Suppanomimi, Byaaaako's Haidate, O hat, and PCC. I personally haven't built like that because I'm lazy and I don't feel I do enough meleeing to justify it, but for some people that's their thing. :3

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I looked at the link, it only focuses on Sidewinder and Slug Shot. Those Im pretty set on what I need for. Its while TPing I am a bit confused. I guess I can test a bit when I get to 75 weather or not STR/AGI add that much to just regular shots, but thought I would ask to see what others did.

Thanks for those who have posted already.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ohhh, I thought since you were asking about AGI that you were askign what its effect on WS was. Aside from slug, AGI will increase your ranged accuracy in a manner similar to DEX for melee accuracy, usually seen as 2AGI=1R.acc. Some also believe that it affects a "soft cap" of sorts on ranged accuracy, where without enough AGI to support your r.acc+, you won't be able to see a benefit from even more r.acc+. But I dunno how much I buy into that.

A long time ago STR was easy to see, and 2STR roughly equaled 1 damage per arrow. Nowadays it's a lot harder to test and I reckon it's a lot different, but it never seemed worth stacking specifically for TPing for me. For most slost where I could get STR, I could always wear a good amount of R.atk or r.acc, and I always went with the R.atk or R.acc. Some possible exceptions are shoes, where if you can't really get one or the other, STR is the next best thing.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

this works pretty good for me. can use subs or red curry w/o much problem. was pushing 2k in dyna sandy w/o a brd.
    need a 2nd triumph and a vulcan would be better when /war.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9636/img0000dj6.png

Pimpp, you'd drastically increase your dmg output if you equip some arrows. :D

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks, pretty good idea what I will use. Have all I need cept for Hands.
    What I have waiting for 70-75 (Just dinged 70 so get to play around with less Acc and more DD)

Kbeil/Fran, O bow, Darksteel/Acid Bolts (Dont like holy much) Opti/Wyvern, Faith Torque, Triump X2, Flame X2 (Dang Tamas ring...) Osode, Taru RSE Hands for now, Amemet+1, Precise belt/RK+2, Scouts Braccae (so lucky no other RNG there), Taru RSE feet. Then Breeze Gorget for WS.

Thanks for the replies, bout what I expected, just wasnt very positive.

P.S. Shuemue, I love your Sig, makes me laugh everytime I see it :D

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

str and ratt are king, agi is meh (kote/bfg is debatable, i use bfg when using RA for tp). here's my gear i obviously--have a bit of a different approach..

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7...ersetupak0.jpg

substitute triumph earrings/ring/gorget, war sub + flashy shot + red curry + culverin+1 will help to get those high numbers on kirin/chlev that krandor posted. when not using kc i swap for axes of course, the obvious. i personally take the pre-nerf approach and melee to help tp, keep a couple pieces of haste on, etc.

food and minuet make the biggest differences overall, and flashy will give you those huge numbers.

ranger isnt terribly difficult to figure out.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Matricide
    I really like your gear choices btw, they are pretty close to what I plan on using when relic is no longer eating my gils so I can get a KC.

I agree that ranger isn't terribly difficult to figure out, shooting the same mob over and over swapping a piece of gear here and there makes incremental, but rather noticable differences in acc and damage.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Navia
    Quote Originally Posted by Matricide
    I really like your gear choices btw, they are pretty close to what I plan on using when relic is no longer eating my gils so I can get a KC.

I agree that ranger isn't terribly difficult to figure out, shooting the same mob over and over swapping a piece of gear here and there makes incremental, but rather noticable differences in acc and damage.
    weren't you doing Kikoku?

Hi.

As a bow ranger (still meriting archery, but i've a few behind me), i now eat meat and use str/r.atk gear, because my acc is rarely a problem now. If I find there is a problem, i occasionally just swap a piece for a little more r.acc and it tends to solve the problem for just a small loss in dmg.

Alla has the info mentioned from amalgamated posts in the RNG 101 sticky in the RNG forums:

1-70ish = R ACC > R ATT > STR > AGI
    75 = R Att > R Acc > STR > AGI
    Holy Bolts = MND > R Acc > R Att > STR > AGI
    WS = STR > R Att > R Acc > AGI

Until I hit 75 I still went down the R.Acc route and carried R.Acc gear and ate sushi because I hate missing. But then I began switching to STR/R.atk gear more to increase my dmg, while watching to make sure my accuracy didn't drop. When it did, I merited archery a bit, and that fixed the problem. Like I said, occasionally I still need a little extra R.Acc, and for that I switch out a ring or 2, and even my wyvern helm for a OHat, which generally fixes the problem. Once i've max merited archery, I think accuracy will be even less of a problem.

If you're 75 and meriting archery/marksmanship, then you shouldn't be worrying about missing because by this stage your R.Acc should be impressive enough to start wearing STR/R.Atk gear. Why wear it? Well, don't you want to do more damage if you don't have to worry about landing shots?

My Gear (switches): Wyvern Helm (OHat), Jagd Gorget, EBow, Kabura Arrows (Demon Arrows), 2x Triumph Earrings, Kirin Osode, Blood Finger Gauntlets (Seiryu's Kote), 2x Flame Rings (2x Behemoth Rings), Amemet Mantle+1, Jungle Sash (R.K. Belt +2), Jaridah Salvars (Republic Cuisses), Savage Gaiters

If you want to know a little more about STR vs R.Atk...etc...Alla has a good stickied post in the RNG forums on gear that 's worth reading.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you're 75 and meriting archery/marksmanship, then you shouldn't be worrying about missing because by this stage your R.Acc should be impressive enough to start wearing STR/R.Atk gear
    But it's not, at least not for me with 8 Marksanship merits and a Faith Torque under my belt. I don't want to come off as bragging, but even with that skill and eating meat food an 85% hit rate in Caedarva is awful, especially after being spoiled by 3 other melee jobs that pull 90-95% with sushi all the time, even in thickets. :/

To me, 85% shot for shot is alright, but not when it comes to Slug/Sidewinder, whose acc is greatly decreased. I'm liking the ability of Divisortheory's parser to tell me what my WS accuracy is, and I'm gonna take it out to a meripo party later and try to see what, for me, Slug acc is with my previous full-acc ws build and the full STR, throw-acc-to-the-wind build that everyone has been pushing the last like 2+ years. Ya really can't justify 100-200, even 300 more damage on WS if it means you miss even one extra 1000+ damage WS per four or five WSes with little acc.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate missing WS, and I would advise the OP to take what you read here with a grain of salt either way; use this thread and peoples' testimonials as a bunch of suggestions/recommendations, or a template, and experiment with it yourself to find what you enjoy as far as your build goes. In the end it's just personal preference.

Edit: Ok, so I must eat some of my words now. Last night we exped on some squishy stuff and had a wondeful RNG party, for which in the beginning I dropped most my r.acc for STR on WS. The setup was something like kriegs/franny, Wyv Helm, Sea Gorget, Osode, Flame + Rajas, Gal Trousers, Scout's Socks, and I missed like 2 chainbreaking slugs before I started my parser, and 2 after, which made me say "ok screw this." So I changed the Wyvern Helm for an O hat and it worked fine for me the rest of the night. It was probably something like 8-9/10, which felt good enough for me and didn't cause us to lose a chain up til like 53 when a couple of us missed.

This was with 8 Marksmanship merits. Sono was also in the party, and since he has WAR and Ridill, he doesn't have any Archery merits anymore really, and he noticed his Sidewinder hit rate was even lower with similar gear. Towards the latter half of the party, he had to switch in more r.acc to get reliable SW hit rates, even for lower damage, but it made the party go smoother. SO, MORAL: Do what feels good to you. If you want, test with full r.acc and full STR, and then find something in the middle that's comfortable for you. If you're paying any attention, you should be able to find a nice comfy setup where you hit enough Slugs/Sidewinders to keep the chain and do fine damage, and it will vary depending on your merits, camp choice, etc. There is no one answer, we can't just say "ALL STR NO ACC GOOOO" 'cause you will fail, so get a good bit of gear and see what you're comfortable with.

STR Archer > Gunner > Xbower

if your there to support the party with acids great go with xbow but there really is no need to if your xping in the mire. Using xbow and holy bolt your losing out on so much damage it's not even funny. I personally use gun because I also have cor leveled, so i have Marksmanship capped. please for the love of god put the o-bow in storage.