+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eragon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Anyone else scared how this is gonna turn out?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    Why does everyone always have to compare the book to the movie? Judge the movie for what it is on its own, not what it is in comparison to the book.

No matter how hard you try you can't sugar coat shit. As sweet as it may look it does not change the fact that beneath that sweet, crystalline exterior is still a heaping, steaming, rancid pile of Poo. But for shits and giggles and for the sake of this argument lets assume there was no "Book" to predispose our minds into what this was "supposed" to be.

The plot, or lack there of shall I say, is completely non-existent. The characters? Shallow. Dialogue? Weak. My nephew has yet to read the book, he just thinks dragons and swords are "cool". He suggested that we leave the theatre three quarters the way through the movie. His reasons? And I quote verbatim "Because it was stupid and i'm sleepy". Mind you it was 3:35pm.

To sum it up in a nutshell, Eragon the movie is exactly what shit aspires and yearns to be when it grows up. It really is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Palin
    Well... it was a good book, and the movie can't dissapoint me more than Eragon did, so I'll be optimistic about it. So long as the producer's don't try to cram it all into 90 minutes, most books-> movie's I usually enjoy, because even if things are changed most of the time the movie is good on its own if you don't compare it to the book. I enjoyed most harry potter movie's, loved lord of the rings, can't really think of any others at the moment, but at least for me no matter how I see it Eragon was awful. Looking forward to dragonlance though, I loved that series, expecially the early books where it focus'd more on Tanis/Raistlin etc.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Michaera
    There was something I read a while ago though, first book in a triology, um... Fortress in the Eye of Time, was pretty good, and definitely a change of pace as far as the read goes.
    That was a series of 4 books IIRC (and according to wikipedia, a fifth one came out this year that I hadn't heard of). And yeah, Cherryh is really good at stuff like that. I've read a lot by her, mostly in this, the Atevi series and the Alliance-Union universe (with Cyteen and so forth).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Argh...they better not do anything bad with one of my favorite fantastic series

I haven't seen Eragon, although I'm going to just to see how horrible it can possibly be to elicit these reactions.

I don't see Wheel of Time ever being made into movies. The enormity of that series is just insane. Even with Lord of the Rings they had to cut out entire chapters, and still had 4 hour extended versions of each film. Granted there's a lot of stuff in WoT that could be cut out, but 11 books is a lot of story.

Song of Ice and Fire, while I would love to see as movies (I've spent many hours casting the movies with my friends), also has very little chance in my opinion. Its not as long as Wheel of Time, but personally I think it has a lot less fluff, so there's a lot less stuff that could be cut out.

What I'm looking forward to is this. If you haven't read it, its the first book in a trilogy with heavy and overt religious overtones (which are not presented in a good light), and I'm interested to see how they deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia

Argh...they better not do anything bad with one of my favorite fantastic series
    QFT, Eragon was a pile of shit. I've never read the books and still hated it. The entire movie my girlfriend (who's read the books) was explaining to me why he can suddenly do this or why this happened. Pirate this or rent it imo.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I just read the book (in like 3 days) and I thought it was pretty good. I loved Saphira, and even after reading all the criticism not only from BG, but from just about everyone else, I'm still excited to see the movie. I'm not sure why, but I've wanted to see it for so long now, and I loved dragons and just think it will be cool for the special effects if nothing else.

The worse book to movie I've seen is Michael Crichton's Timeline. God, that movie was so fucking terrible and the book was AMAZING. Eragon cannot possibly suck more than that movie. I'd say the D&D movie was even better than Timeline lol.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Eragon was pretty good, a little bit to short. A bit more story and it would be really good. Like the Lord of the Ring, THERE WE HAVE A SHIT LOAD of story.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Well, I just watched the movie and I liked it. I mean, they totally butchered the book with some characters, and left out alot of people and places, but it was decent.

Saphira was fucking awesome, and I loved Jeremy Irons as Brom. It's definitely not the best movie I've ever seen or anything, and the story was REALLY rushed, but other than that the special effects were pimp and I'd watch it again just to see Saphira some more.

and omg baby saphira was so cutecutecutecutecute

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol it seems everyone says that about Saphira XD I heard that about 3 times at work last week.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

[removed broken link]

HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE HER??!?!? Omg <3

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

LOL

New Merits