Thread: Upgrading Salvage Armor     submit to reddit submit to twitter

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Upgrading Salvage Armor

Dispelling the rumour that you get locked in, you do not get locked in once you give him an item to upgrade.

First you talk to him, and inquire about sets. Next time you talk to him it should say "This is the one" once you picked a set/item for upgrade.
    http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9758/armor1gt9.jpg

Trade him the peice :
    http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9163/armor2ib9.jpg

And you are not locked in. You can retreive the peice, and the best thing is you can retreive single peices of it. He then becomes an armor storage NPC for single peices, and wont take any fee untill you have it all.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8945/armor4fw2.jpg

I think however you'er locked into a "set" - like you cant give him skadi and morrigan, even though i'm a greedy lootwhore I don't have 2 peices of different sets so I can't test if you're locked into sets, since you're definitely not locked into peices.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

That's pretty cool if you can store the set, but if you cant upgrade multiple set at the same time, it could eventually be annoying.

anyway, how do you actually "upgrade" the item once you trade him? He ask for more material?

He wants all three peices of armor first, then he wants the fee so it can be "reforged into a more powerful form."

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

How close are people getting to sets of pieces for say one particular piece of armour?

Did that even make sense?

I mean people have started to work out how to get tier 3 pieces - has anyone come close to completing a single armour piece yet?

I'd be interested to know whether once you had completed a piece for example a Marduk's feet whether you are locked into that set or can then move to upgrade a separate piece from another set.

Or was that already figured out?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Im hoping you can trade more then one piece of different sets. Reason being that theres alot of common drops, with some pretty bitching stats on them for low level jobs. Theyre bound to be freelot eventually, and id rather not have the inventory space-1 unless im leveling said job ;x

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yeah, I'm hoping you can move onto different pieces but I wouldn't be suprised if SE didn't let you.

With WHM and SMN levelled and BRD on the way up Marduk's is an easy choice for me but I have peeps with a wide range of level 75 jobs who would benefit from different pieces. One guy with RNG and PLD, one with THF and BLM etc.

You probably won't be able to trade pieces of 2 different sets.

Let's say you trade the level 15/25/35 Hands from 2 different sets. Then you trade the NPC 10x Goldpieces and 12x Material. How will the NPC know which armor to upgrade?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim

Let's say you trade the level 15/25/35 Hands from 2 different sets. Then you trade the NPC 10x Goldpieces and 12x Material. How will the NPC know which armor to upgrade?
    That's why you're probably locked on to a set.

However, by talking to the NPC about sets again, you get the option to chose "This is the one" on another set. Only if you don't currently have any armour stored though =/

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

All I meant was once you have for example finished the Marduk feet could you then go and get a Morrigan's piece. Or do you just choose one set and that's it?

Sorry if I'm asking basic questions, just been confused a lot by different stories. I suspect it's a bit early to tell.

We've only just started Salvage and I feel months behind lol.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim

When you trade the third piece of a set, you cant do anything else except trade the materials to finish the upgrade, making it impossible to have 3 pieces of 2 different sets there at the same time? /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Eldelphia
    All I meant was once you have for example finished the Marduk feet could you then go and get a Morrigan's piece. Or do you just choose one set and that's it?

Sorry if I'm asking basic questions, just been confused a lot by different stories. I suspect it's a bit early to tell.

We've only just started Salvage and I feel months behind lol.
    This is the only question left unanswered... need somebody to upgrade to find out for sure.

My best guess is that you can (like your example) make Marduk Feet, then pull out any leftover Marduk pieces, and then make a Morrigan Hands. The major thing is that the NPC can't be holding pieces from different sets at the same time. But I think you can give him stuff, combine/upgrade something, pull the rest out, then give him a different set and combine/upgrade those.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

This is the only question left unanswered... need somebody to upgrade to find out for sure.
    OK, that's what I thought. Looking forward to hearing about someone who upgrades

Old Merits
    BG Level

I hope that upgrading one piece locks you into that whole set. It would make people actually have to think about which items they lootwhore in Salvage. I can't stand those people who want to lot every fucking thing that drops because they have 8 different jobs levelled. I say choose one, and stick with it, just like DM, AN, CoP rings.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Re: Upgrading Salvage Armor

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    I think however you'er locked into a "set" - like you cant give him skadi and morrigan, even though i'm a greedy lootwhore I don't have 2 peices of different sets so I can't test if you're locked into sets, since you're definitely not locked into peices.
    Luck would have it, I seem to be a lootwhore and I have two pieces from different sets. (I got the lvl15 Usugane hands free lot) So I went to the NPC, and picked the Usugane set and traded in the hands. Then I asked to switch to the Skadi set to see what the text would be. And it was the normal text when switching with no pieces.
    "Will you abandon your decision, and focus on the Skadi Leather Armor instead?"

No warning about losing your current pieces, but I wasn't willing to try it. So I said no, took out the hands, then switched to Skadi. And I was able to turn in the Freyr's Ledelsens I had without a problem. So it seems you can switch sets with no issues, but I can't be certain until someone gets all 3 pieces and upgrades something. I'm really hoping it doesn't lock you into sets, because I'd prefer just getting a few pieces and not worrying about entire sets.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I don't mind which way it goes, it would just be nice to know. Some of the gear is awesome, I almost wish I had RDM levelled for the Morrigans

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    I hope that upgrading one piece locks you into that whole set. It would make people actually have to think about which items they lootwhore in Salvage. I can't stand those people who want to lot every fucking thing that drops because they have 8 different jobs levelled. I say choose one, and stick with it, just like DM, AN, CoP rings.
    read: wah wah wah wah wah waahh

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

PS2 limitations will prevent the NPC from remembering what armor you upgraded previously, anyway, so I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms about it.

Seems pretty clear-cut, as was indicated in a previous post: The only reason he says you can upgrade only one set at a time is so he knows which piece to upgrade given that all pieces of the same "type" (head, body, etc.) all take the same non-r/e requirements to upgrade. I wouldn't even be surprised if he could store armor from different sets at the same time (though I doubt it, somehow... still wouldn't surprise me, however).

I don't see any particular reason/argument to support you being "locked in" to a specific set until you finish a set. He'll only upgrade armor from one set at a time. I don't see why he'd care if you have a full set or not.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    read: wah wah wah wah wah waahh
    read: my e peen can't be fully hardened until I have salvage sets for all 5 of my jobs!

read: my e peen can't be fully hardened until I have salvage sets for all 5 of my jobs!
    Read: I have no hope of ever getting any salvage gear, so I'm gonna cry about the game being rigged, and never do anything about getting my own.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn
    Read: I have no hope of ever getting any salvage gear, so I'm gonna cry about the game being rigged, and never do anything about getting my own.
    I do have a piece of the level 15 gear, and I have a decent shot of getting more anytime it drops, because my LS makes people choose one set to lot and stick with it.

So, uh... care to explain how and where I said anything at all about the game being rigged? And I've been doing a lot about getting my own armor, doing salvage, doing lots of Assault... just what in the blue fuck kind of argument were you trying to make? Please, if you're going to post incoherent, irrelevant drivel, just refrain from clicking 'submit' when you're through typing it up.