+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fraps question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fraps question

So what is required to run FRAPs at a non-shitty framerate? I have a pretty nice computer that runs this game beutifully at a full 29 fps, everything up, AA/AS up, 1920x1200 resolution. Its pushed to the max for this game and runs with no hiccups. But when I want to record video Fraps runs at 1-3 frames per second.

Is there something Im missing? I even tried to dump on an External HDD instead of same HD the game runs off of to try and aleviate the problem, but no go.

Is there a better program out there for video recording?

Thanks guys

An external USB drive would be slower..

Buy a second hard drive and format it FAT32 and dump to that.

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I should mention that im running on a laptop. The only other possibility would be getting an external.

I thought about getting an Express card to SATA adapter and making an enclosed raptor drive.... but I want to know that it will ACTUALLY work, and fix this shitty frame rate problem.

(Just to clarify, I wanted a cheap USB 160G to dump homework, back up files, FFXI SSs onto and be able to easily transfer to my desktop quickly.)

Well, ya.. laptop harddrives are normally quite slow compared to full size hard drives.. A usb drive enclosure with a full size drive would indeed be better, I can't tell you if it would "work" though.

Laptop IO systems in general are nerfed, they don't perform like desktop computers and if they did the batteries wouldn't last long.

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I usually dont run on my battery at all unless Im at class. Ya reports Ive seen clock an Express card to SATA external drive faster then the internals on here. All well. I guess we will see once I get it. I was only wondering if something else was contributing to such drastic drops in performance when I try to record, other then my HDD.