+ Reply to Thread
    With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Charging for Crafting Services

Finally made 72 clothcraft a couple days ago and I'm trying to get a general idea what is consider a fair price to offer crafting services for would be? I was thinking possibly 5-10% of the market price of the item.

for the most part i let it go for free and just say give me what you think i deserve. Unless it HQs... for HQs I generally do like 10% of the AH value. Everyone says im too nice though and they're probably right

Old Merits
    BG Level

Don't craft for others, it brings nothing but pain.

Seriously though, if you must craft for them, go free for NQ, half the AH cost for HQ. If they can't afford the price of HQ fee then you replace it with an NQ. Pretty steep fees, but they are still gaining from the deal if you HQ, so tell them to put up or shut up.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by ½pint

Seriously though, if you must craft for them, go free for NQ, half the AH cost for HQ. If they can't afford the price of HQ fee then you replace it with an NQ. Pretty steep fees, but they are still gaining from the deal if you HQ, so tell them to put up or shut up.
    What I do. NQ I ask for a tip, or whatever they want to give me. Break, sorry, given them broken stuff back. HQ... if its a T2 or T3, meh, dont care much. T1 or T0... Depending on the synth. Half the AH price on most things (Snipers, Nomads, Wise, Etc). Dusk Gloves was my main special case, told anyone I crafted them for, said if I HQ it, Im keeping it. This was after breaking 4 hides and wasn't wasting that work on someone else.

May seem harsh, if they dont like it, thats why SE made the AH.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I personally do not have a craft at a high enough level to charge for synths, but I have heard a lot of stories where people HQ an expensive item only for the person they made it for to turn around and sell it for their own profit. So personally I don't think there is anything wrong with charging a higher price for rare HQ items.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

If it's for LS members or friends, nothing. If it's for someone comletely random and it's a difficult and/or expensive synthesis... I like to indicate that I am wanting some compensation.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Make sure to take screenshots of synths and the deal that takes place. Always nice to have proof that you're not trying to screw someone, so that someone else doesn't screw you.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I usually don't charge anything for NQ, although sometimes people give you a tip for it, especially when they're just random scrubs shouting in Jeuno/Whitegate. HQ I usually just make up some random price, but for LS I usually don't care unless they really wanna pay me.

Only thing i am really asked to make in Alchemy are Clusters, and i never charge, most of the time they will tip me, but if not its not a huge deal seeing its an all or nothing synth. But on HQ i'd have to say normally 10% of AH is what most charge if HQ.

LS members - Free, tips accepted

Random People - Depending on Difficulty of Synth. (I'm leather 100, cursed pumps for example would be like 50k to make)

HQ for Cursed pumps would run somewhere around 400-500k imo, though never done it. DUsk gloves usually run around 50k/synth.. but thats to random people. People I know I just take tips.

Sanoske

I synth for free. Whatever the person wants to tip is up to them. People tell me I'm too nice, but eh. I've gotten tipped nothing, and also gotten tipped 500k for making a Dalmatica. So it all evens out.

I'm a smither so i always get asked to make haubys if its someone i know/like i dont charge anything nq or hq if they tip thats great but if not thats fine, if its some random chode i say nq if you feel like giving me something great if not thats fine but if i hq a hauby i charge 20% of ah( usually its about 1.5-2m depending).

If they cant afford that then i can replace for nq (like someone said above) if they dont like that they can go to someone else or buy one, and i always make sure they understand im not responsible for breaks.

I've had several people flip out at me because i broke their shit, its not my fault i have no control over it, if they cant handle a break then make them go buy a nq or whatever. i also got leather to 99 but like no one on the server knows that really so meh.

(LW edit : I fixed the wall o text because I heart you ghosty <3 )

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

If the item has a desirable HQ, I will charge nothing for making nq and base my HQ fee using the following formula

(HQ price - Synthesis material price) * .5 = fee for making hq item.

On the other hand, if the item has no desirable hq that can make the crafter money by making for someone, I usually set a small standard fee. There are always exceptions though, such as somebody asking me to craft something, and already having everything ready to go without having to ask me what they need etc., those people pretty much never get charged if they don't waste my time. Just my strategy.

I charge everyone now on HQ- unless they are my closest of friends. Too many people get HQ and sell it down the road after tipping a low amount. I don't craft for other people to make money off of it. I craft to make money for myself so I don't have to camp silly NM's with crappy drop rates surrounded by RMT. Usually I think up a fee for HQ, if they don't like it or have gil thats too bad, I have No-remorse

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

50% for HQ, 10% nq, might be to much, but if they think it is, tell them to shut it and lvl that craft to 100.

maybe if the other person is a 100 leather, and ur 100 gold, maybe you can just exhange favors

really not the best idea to craft for friends incase of break

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by noremorse
    I charge everyone now on HQ- unless they are my closest of friends. Too many people get HQ and sell it down the road after tipping a low amount. I don't craft for other people to make money off of it. I craft to make money for myself so I don't have to camp silly NM's with crappy drop rates surrounded by RMT. Usually I think up a fee for HQ, if they don't like it or have gil thats too bad, I have No-remorse

so good.. ya im dying wasted HQs -.- out of my last 5 cursed hecatomb HQs ive made 7M gil.. not bad but selling 1 for myself on AH gets me more gil

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by ½pint

exactly what i do

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I normally go with Friends/ls are free. If i HQ for a friend/ls and they sell then i want a split of w/e it is they sell it for. And if its some random person that comes up i charge 10% of goin rate usually. If its a Hard HQ i charge 50% and replaced with NQ if they dont have the gil. And well if its dusk gloves and i HQ they already know goin into it that i'll keep it if i HQ. They can have my NQ. :wink: