Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

White Mages: How inconvenient for you are gear swap macros?

This is something I've been wondering lately. Whenever you change headequips, your white mage may possibly lose your target. I only macro in swift belt for utsusemi (I keep on 3x homam), to avoid making my character disappear and possibly have WHMs not be able to cure me, so I generally stick to keeping on the same headpiece for a whole fight aside from Rampart macro (testing out what Valor Coronet actually does for it after the update). If I'm tanking something where I'm positive I'll always have hate, like Voluptuous Vivian or small groups, I just keep turban on full time.

Do your linkshell whms (or yourself) just use macros with the tank in question's name that does a lot of equipment swaps, or type out the spell manually? I have one very good WHM that I can trust with just about anything (and it's not you kupo lol), but usually I forget to ask if it's an issue for the others, and I'd like some feedback on what's most comfortable for a lot of WHMs.

Vobent

"Haste me"
    "I FUCKING CAN'T STOP CHANGING YOUR FUCKING GEAR"

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Heh, this reminds me of a PLD in my LS. He was PLD/NIN and had to kite a Ix'MNK while we killed the Qn mobs. At the start, he screwed up his shadows early and so a WHM Cured him, pulled hate and the WHM died. He complained about the WHM curing him and was the WHMs fault for dieing. Later in the fight, he was changing his gear over and over... making all the remaining WHMs lose target on him, couldnt cure... and he died. Now complaing the WHMs not curing him.

This later turned into a Convo of me (A NIN) and a WHM argueing with him saying that its the WHMs job to cure... and if need be, make the macros have the tanks name in it. I told him he is stupid and a WHM is going to carring around 5 sets of macros, one for each tank.

Myself being a NIN, I only change my gear during Utsi Ni, mainly because I can time it where I wont get interupted, and the WHMs will have 4 shadows to cure me after the blink. Every other macros changes gear like earrings, rings, belt, etc, just as long as I dont blink.

So the answer the question, just dont blink to much, you can some, but dont every few seconds. It is the WHMs job to cure tanks, but its not there job to make it so they can target you. Expecting a WHM to type a spell at a whim will result in you dieing. If you are a main tank, and dont die much, and have a WHM that is at every event, and so are you, then maybe, but I never would if I ever leveld WHM.

Paging Dr. Nat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Natallon Docere
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

i personally use the logitech controller whenever i play FFXI, it makes targeting much quicker so whenever a tank or melee switches gear it usually doesnt take more than two seconds for me to scroll back onto him

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I hate hate hate hate it when people switch gear and I'm trying to cure/refresh them.

Obviously you have to switch gear now and then, but my suggestion to players (especially tanks), when you start taking dmg and you know cures should be coming, try avoiding changing gears at all cost or you'll probably end up dead.

Come to think of it, I think part of SE's idea about some of the newer gear that's been coming out, is to help people avoid blinking while still having pretty good gear.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Gear swap doesnt bother me its the loldrg's Jump and High Jump that drives me bonkers.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

To play a job to the fullest and tank effectively you need equip switch macros.

I know it's annoying for mages, but the best mages I know don't have any problem with that.

Gear switch macros saved my life 10 times more often then they got me killed.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I....don't care when people do that, I think I've come to expect it really.

Alt+8 [Haste], F4, oops, he blinked. Alt+8, F4, enter, OK.

my static WHM hates me though, because I blink constantly, but then again her keyboard doesn't have working F-keys.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

It's rarely a problem for me anymore since I don't have to use my whm for anything but events, where paladins pretty much never change equipment and melees only blink for WS.

I do remember leveling up with the nins who had gear swap for provoke, another gear swap for ninjutsu nukes, a gear swap for ws gear, and melee gear. I used the three strike system. If I had to tell you 3 times to not change gear so much you didn't get cure until after the fight and you liked it.

It shouldn't make any type of difference. In alliance situations I have <a0> or w/e all on the alt line of one pallet then cure macro's just stated /ma spell name on the ctrl lines. Normal parties = F keys and heal with a cure macro. Unless your tank or whomever is specifically doing it on purpose you should have no issues. Also just time it out, you know they switch gear for weaponskills and when ni and ichi are needed to be cast. Just heal in between those times.

Yeah forgot about the provoke gear swaps too Alleya. Irregardless just heal in between those times and if they die tell em to leave some fucking gear at home

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassiraa

my static WHM hates me though, because I blink constantly, but then again her keyboard doesn't have working F-keys.
    yeh fkeys and magic menu ftmfw. Screw macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiraa

yeh fkeys and magic menu ftmfw. Screw macros.
    or a macro with <stpc>(for pcs) or <stnpc>(for mobs)

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

i use both <stpc> and fkeys... fkeys onry for cures and <stpc> for refresh... i dont really know why my cure macros are <t> and my refresh is <stpc> but thats how it works for me lol

just remember kids <bt> is NOT your friend. thanks

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I also use a controller so it isn't too hard for me to switch back on people when they do that, but they can't complain when it takes me longer to do so, lol.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

People bitching about not having a buff for 1-10 seconds bothers me eleventy-billion times more than gear swapping does. I'm fast enough with the keyboard that I really don't have issues.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Oh god yes...
    I can see when your buff wears, I'll get it don't worry, you know spells have a cast time there fella.

As for gear swapping, not really unless you have an ungodly long name that's difficult to spell.

AKA MR. TONKOUNONAKAIKIAKKI

If your mage whinges about you gearswapping and you arent tanking a HNM that can take you down in 5 seconds flat, get a new mage. I want the best xp I can get when I merit, and that involves using the appropriate gear for the appropriate action - id be more annoyed if you didnt gear swap.

Gear swaps don't bug me at all as long as they aren't excessive. As others have said, it's pretty much impossible to tank effectively without them. That said, it CAN get excessive. One of our NINs used to macro his Ninjutsu equipment changes in to every offensive Ninjutsu spell he cast, so he would disappear at the start of the spell, cast for X seconds, then disappear automatically swapping back to his normal tanking gear set as soon as the spell was done ... he'd do that like 3 spells in a row. THAT was obnoxious.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Here's a trick.

Before you start your fight , with the longer named players, send them a tell, even if it's just "."

Now in your tab list, type the first letter of their name, and press tab, then up (which takes you to the final entry of the tab list) and their name should be there.

So if you have to heal Tonkonsonfihaihl25n4 , you'll only have to type /ma "Cure IV" T[tab] [up] [enter] and hi2u fast typing.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can completely understand switching out gear to make the most out of your job, mages do just as much as melee.

Just don't bitch when you get the snot knocked out of you while we hit F(whaterver) reaquiring target.