+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Anyone having severe connection problems?

Can barely even connect to POL all day long, and I dc'd when I logged in after 2 hours of trying. Went out for a few hours, came back, still can't even get past the first screen when you put in a password.

Am I alone in this or are other people getting this too? I heared something about an earthquake busting some wires.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Re: Anyone having severe connection problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Can barely even connect to POL all day long, and I dc'd when I logged in after 2 hours of trying. Went out for a few hours, came back, still can't even get past the first screen when you put in a password.

Am I alone in this or are other people getting this too? I heared something about an earthquake busting some wires.
    Earthquake in Taiwan busted some wires there, and apparently a lot of traffic is routed through there for Asia. I have no idea if Australia routes through them though...

Edit: it was a pretty pussy earthquake too, 6.3 or something. We had one of that magnitude on the northwest coast of NA a few years back and it didn't do shit up here in southwestern Canada. Seemed to do a lot of damage in America though... America needs new architects.

An Australian friend in my LS posted something on our LS forums earlier that he'd received from his ISP indicating that they were going to have intermittent loss of service for 5 days or so due to the earthquake.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    An Australian friend in my LS posted something on our LS forums earlier that he'd received from his ISP indicating that they were going to have intermittent loss of service for 5 days or so due to the earthquake.
    oh god...

really annoys me how the rest of the internet is fine , it's just FFXI that shits on me.

Any tech heads know a workaround? Like diverting where I connect from or something?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    oh god...

really annoys me how the rest of the internet is fine , it's just FFXI that shits on me.

Any tech heads know a workaround? Like diverting where I connect from or something?
    See if you can proxy through North America somehow. Seems we're connecting to FFXI through somewhere other than Taiwan (Directly to Japan maybe?), but from where you are it seems logical to go through Taiwan.

Edit: Wafik, run "tracert http://www.playonline.com" in your command window to see where it's trying to route through. It should come up with some chinese websites if it doesn't stop altogether.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

See if you can proxy through North America somehow.
    <- Big noob when it comes to networking.

Would you by any chance know how I'd be able to do that? Or show me a guide or something on how I can make my programs go through an NA proxy? The only thing I know how to do proxy wise is changing firefox's proxy settings ><

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Would you by any chance know how I'd be able to do that? Or show me a guide or something on how I can make my programs go through an NA proxy? The only thing I know how to do proxy wise is changing firefox's proxy settings ><
    I probably should know this from a class I took, but due to never having a reliable server to test it on, I've never been able to fully learn it... Unfortunately, you may have to wait until NA daytime (3:27am here right now on the west coast) for someone a bit smarter than me to help you. =/

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

;;;;;;;;

well thanks for that peice of info at least , i really hope I can get FF up before dynamis tonight ><

Relic Horn
    BG Level

;;;;;;;;

well thanks for that peice of info at least , i really hope I can get FF up before dynamis tonight ><
    Yikes that's tonight? Unfortunately, even if someone can help you figure out how to do it, there aren't a lot of reliable proxy servers. If you do happen to find one though, be prepared for a little extra lag time (like, your actions won't take effect for a good 2-3 seconds most likely).

Off to bed for me! Good luck.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by WizerdRemora
    If you do happen to find one though, be prepared for a little extra lag time (like, your actions won't take effect for a good 2-3 seconds most likely).

Off to bed for me! Good luck.
    Sounds like typical AU internet anyway

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quake damage jams networks
    Marc Carnegie in Hong Kong
    DECEMBER 28, 2006
    INTERNET and phone services have been disrupted across much of Asia after an earthquake damaged undersea cables, leaving one of the world's most tech-savvy regions in a virtual blackout.

From frustrated traders seeking in vain for stock quotes to anxious newshounds accustomed to round-the-clock updates on world events, millions of people from China to Japan to Australia were affected on Wednesday.

The disruption was widespread, hitting China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong and elsewhere, with knock-on effects as far away as Australia for companies whose internet is routed through affected areas.

Reports said some services could be down for weeks.
    http://australianit.news.com.au/article ... 06,00.html

Salvage - SilverSea Taiwan anyone?

yep, we are basically fucked until they fix the optic fibres, or someone shows us a way to reroute

At first I thought it was related to the update as the timing coincided, but I posted this in the update thread on main forum:

[quote:7c5a6]Tracing route to 202.67.56.123 over a maximum of 30 hops

fine until:

11 230 ms 232 ms 230 ms 203.208.168.121
    12 * 317 ms * 203.208.154.94
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * 427 ms * 203.208.154.33
    15 410 ms 451 ms * 203.208.172.22
    16 432 ms * 435 ms 203.208.154.22
    17 637 ms 642 ms 632 ms 203.208.154.133
    18 * 670 ms 669 ms 203.208.154.38
    19 532 ms 534 ms * ge-5-1-0.r00.newthk01.hk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250
    .9.1]
    20 * 539 ms 542 ms ge-0-1-0.r01.newthk01.hk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250
    .4.19]
    21 540 ms * * p16-0-2-3.r21.tokyjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.25
    0.2.233]
    22 535 ms * * xe-1-0-0.a20.tokyjp01.jp.ra.gin.ntt.net [61.213.
    162.234]
    23 * 463 ms * ge-2-2-5.a20.tokyjp01.jp.ra.gin.ntt.net [61.120.
    145.110]
    24 * 447 ms 448 ms 202.67.63.45
    25 446 ms 448 ms 446 ms 202.67.63.122
    26 451 ms * * 202.67.56.123
    27 * 447 ms * 202.67.56.123
    28 447 ms 456 ms 465 ms 202.67.56.123

Trace complete.
    Who broke the internet

Im building quite the collection of error messages now... 0008 0006 0011 0067 1431 1461 1341 1432.....

edit:
    Browsing to Asia websites
    Friday 29 December 2006, 10:55 AM
    Browsing problems to China, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia and other areas is a result of the undersea fibre-optic cables that were damaged by a powerful earthquake off the southern tip of Taiwan, Our upstream providers are working to resolve this problem.
    TPG apologises for any inconvenience caused.
    Outage Started: Thursday 28 December 2006, 9:07 AM AEDST
    Outage Window: It is estimated to last 5 days
    [/quote:7c5a6]

I managed to get on for 5 minutes but it isnt worth it, the connection wont stay on. I think Ive seen every connection related error message today, atleast 25 unique error codes. I even got told I had no Content IDs twice.

Yet again, God plays Quake on the Terra server and fucking breaks the network.

Basically Asia's series of tubes are bah-roken and you're looking at at least a week's worth of this crap, cause even if you're not being routed through there (nobody is now, lol) the increased traffic everywhere else is going to make for real happy fun lag.

Pretty scary that most of Southeast Asia depends on ten sets of optical fibers thinner than thin to route their net/phone services, eh?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Look online for a public proxy server you can use, or ask one of your friends in another country to set one up for you. Then simply goto "Network Settings" on the main POL screen when you frist select and account to log in. Just enter the server IP address and port and your done. Easy. :D

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Look online for a public proxy server you can use, or ask one of your friends in another country to set one up for you. Then simply goto "Network Settings" on the main POL screen when you frist select and account to log in. Just enter the server IP address and port and your done. Easy. :D
    yay getting closer and closer with each post

just another Q, on proxy websites I see http proxy, cgi proxy etc, am I right in guessing I can't use a http proxy for ffxi? if so, which one should I be searching for?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    yay getting closer and closer with each post

just another Q, on proxy websites I see http proxy, cgi proxy etc, am I right in guessing I can't use a http proxy for ffxi? if so, which one should I be searching for?
    You're right in assuming an HTTP proxy probably won't work. Some proxies only open certain ports, so you will have to find one that is open to FFXI's port(s). I think it uses 2 ports, which I knew at one point from a poor attempt at decrypting the packets (lol). I wish I could help more...

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Wafik, I really do not know anything but my roomie is basically majoring in this field type for computers/servers. When he gets home, I'll ask him the questions and see If I can get any info for you ok

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

problem seems to have gone now (yay 1hr before dyna)

thanks for the help though guys, much appreciated! I have a feeling my internet is only temporarily fixed though

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Well roomie just got home. I'll still ask him anyway for you just in case the problem persists ^^/

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Mine was screwed up last few days, working fine now, probably unrelated to the quake in Taiwan though :/.