+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slim PS2s     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Slim PS2s

My "fat" PS2 is starting to act up, so I am thinking about exchanging it, and getting a Silver Slim PS2 (Amazon has them).
    What I want to know is if there are any glaring issues with the newer, smaller version of the PS2 that people found?
    Thanks guys.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yes you cant play FFXI on it!!! And imo that freakin sucks. PS2 > 360,PC (only cuz i have a crapy laptop) Santa Brought the Ps3 and my wii but forgot my Top o De Line Desktop

Can't play FFXI on it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You might as well get a PS3 to be honest... unless you don't plan on picking one up for a long time, in which case you should buy the slim.

My "fat" PS2 started acting up about a year and a half ago, and I exchanged it for the slimmer version. Oddly enough, though, my old PS2 could still play FFXI just fine through the HDD, but it refused to read any DVDs or games (Even after cleaning it inside and out.)

The slim version works great and it's easier to clean it since the lens are so easily accessible in case it gets dirty or whatnot.

Good news.. and I don't play FFXI on PS2 so that isn't a problem.
    I want to always have a PS2 to play my PS2 and PS1 games since I've seen videos of how shittily PS3 plays them.
    At least until the update comes out for PS3 to fix that issue.
    Speaking of which, do PS2 component cables work on PS3? or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    You might as well get a PS3 to be honest... unless you don't plan on picking one up for a long time, in which case you should buy the slim.

My "fat" PS2 started acting up about a year and a half ago, and I exchanged it for the slimmer version. Oddly enough, though, my old PS2 could still play FFXI just fine through the HDD, but it refused to read any DVDs or games (Even after cleaning it inside and out.)

The slim version works great and it's easier to clean it since the lens are so easily accessible in case it gets dirty or whatnot.
    Everything he says is true. Also that part about the system not playing regular games, but will play FFXI just fine. Mine does the exact same thing!

I see what they did there. Fat PS2 was a conspiracy to get people addicted to FFXI, yet limit them to its puny graphical maximum.

I have a slim PS2 now. The only thing that I hate is that when you sit stuff on top of it, like your drink or your little sister, you can't change disks because the top opens like the old PS1.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Good news.. and I don't play FFXI on PS2 so that isn't a problem.
    I want to always have a PS2 to play my PS2 and PS1 games since I've seen videos of how shittily PS3 plays them.
    At least until the update comes out for PS3 to fix that issue.
    Speaking of which, do PS2 component cables work on PS3? or no?
    Yes,

But as it stands. The PS3 IS NOT WORTH IT TO PLAY PS2 GAMES. MOST GAMES WILL LOOK LIKE SHIT.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Really? I was actually planning on getting rid of the PS2 once I got the PS3... oh well.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Really? I was actually planning on getting rid of the PS2 once I got the PS3... oh well.
    Watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

It really is this bad... I owned a PS3 but when I encountered these issues I returned it without thought... some people belive it can be fixed with a firmware update... but until I see it fixed in some form I cannot justify owning a PS3.

pretty sure you can play ffxi on slim ps2 if you get an external hdd and hook it up

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Get the Slim PS2 if not just for the fact that it has an IR eye on the front so you can turn it on with a remote

I took my old 'fat' PS2 with me back to my apartment last time I visited my parents so I could waste my days playing FFXII. So, my dad replaced it with a Silver Slim one for himself and now I'm rather jealous regardless of the kina' weak 'flip top' disc loading (no drawer) because it takes me 3~5 tries to get any game to play on the old one, keeps giving me a "Disc Read Error" regardless of how clean anything is. Not to mention, it will be a loooong time before PS3's new game selection outweighs playing their old library.

P.S. The Slim PS2 is a lot smaller than it looks, if you haven't seen it in person.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I think they released the Silver in the states kind of too late... but yeah I agree, the PS2 library is still worth playing, and will be worth playing for at least a couple more years -- until PS3 will dish out some of the next-gen RPGs.

My old PS2 used to do the same thing, it would give many disc read errors until it would finally register... and when it finally did, half the time during cutscenes it would just cut the sound off mid-CS, therefore making some annoying sound, as to say that it has trouble decyphering it.

I got extremely pissed and just went out and got a slim PS2...that was about 6 months ago.

Ever since, I decided that the slim PS2 is worth it much more than the old one. Even though its a flip-top CD tray, it's still way better than the old one. It's extremely small and compactible, and you can put it pretty much anywhere. (it's literally the size of 2 CD cases put next to each other.)

I'm kind of disappointed in that the PS3 doesn't do the backwards compatibility very well, but I suppose I can just keep the slim PS2 around.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I own one and its nice, and small and portable. I port it around a lot... and 130 cant beat that price, for something so sleek.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah, but while it is kind of cheap... having the PS3 come out at the same week as the silver slim was kind of a mistake on their part.

Now I don't know what to do. I planned on giving my slim away when I got the PS3, since I figured I could play the PS2 games on it. But after watching that FFX video, i'm not so sure what I should do now.

I might just end up buying the silver slim and giving my black slim away... No reason to buy a PS3 until July anyways (Tekken 6 and MGS.)

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

probably mentioned in posts above that i dont feel like reading, anyway, theres been alot of problems with the slim ps2s, such as them overheating, game tray messing up, and most of the problems are with the laser not reading blue discs (the older ps2 games)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I haven't had any of those problems you just listed, and I've had mine for about 6-7 months now.

Perhaps these problems only occured in the 1st gen versions of the Slim PS2s?

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I don't own one myself, but that's what i've read.

I'd assume those are problems due to its size? I can understand the overheating due to clutter etc.

But ever since the early first gen PS2s, about a year after there started to be problems with the lasers reading blue discs. Probably people being wreckless with their consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbelina
    The only thing that I hate is that when you sit stuff on top of it, like your drink or your little sister, you can't change disks because the top opens like the old PS1.
    god lol you dont wanna know what i was thinking ; ;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by xerodok
    I don't own one myself, but that's what i've read.

I'd assume those are problems due to its size? I can understand the overheating due to clutter etc.

But ever since the early first gen PS2s, about a year after there started to be problems with the lasers reading blue discs. Probably people being wreckless with their consoles.
    Didn't the first-gen PS2s have problems with the batteries exploding and stuff like that?

And yeah, unless your Slim PS2 is tucked away inside of your entertaining system (a thing that I think is retarded all by itself -- your consoles should be outside in the open where they can actually circulate air -- therefore you don't have to use Nyko's crappy Intercooler of doom), nothing should happen to it. And if it doesn't read anything, the lens are right there for you to clean... all you have to do is open the CD tray.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I love my slim ps2...it's so sexy. I came home from my dorm and saw the fat PS2 at my mom's house and it was all gross and dirty. I've never had a problem with my slim ps2, I use it as a dvd just fine, have left it on overnight and nothing has ever been wrong with it.

If your fatty is acting up, I'd say go for it, since the PS3 is too pricey still, and the PS2 games look like shit.