BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Installing FFXI on an external harddrive

well just as the topic says, i recently purchased an external laptop harddrive for one reason or another and wanted to know if i could install FFXI on it for the purposes of carrying it around with me to sorta "plug-n-play" on another PC...my OS is installed on the internal drive...

is this possible? and if so what sorta things will i have to do to make it work

thnx~

Yes, its possible, but you'd have to carry registry settings on it, too. You'd have to append those settings to the registry on each computer you tried to play FFXI. Also, POL will probably do some file checking because of the way it stores file checksums/some wierd thing like that.

I should get a cheap external HD so when I go to family house's for holidays I can drink egg nog and play FFXI.

Win Win

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

could you explain more about appending registry settings? do i jus go to the key and copy it to the other computers HD?

=<

Just export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS, then when you want to play it, import it by double clicking on the exported file.
    You might want to make sure the paths like C:\whatever are correct.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ty for the help

now a slight offshoot, is it possible to do this but instead of playing on another PC, use it on a PS2 slim/ normal ps2? jus curious thats all

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by safer
    ty for the help

now a slight offshoot, is it possible to do this but instead of playing on another PC, use it on a PS2 slim/ normal ps2? jus curious thats all
    You cannot play a PC version of FFXI on your PS2 Slim/Fat via a USB HDD. Also of note, you cannot even play a PS2 version of FFXI on your Slim PS2 unless the game is installed on the Japanese external HDD that was released for the Fat PS2 by Sony, which sadly is now discontinued.

You CAN however play the PS2 version of FFXI on your PS3 now thanks to a download on Sony's site that allows the PS3 to read the PS2's HDD file structure etc. Hope this helps you~

Vobent

Semi-OT
    But can you play other games using the external HDD without that registry Hoo-haw?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Depends on the game itself. Older games that are stand-alone or DOS-based... yes. Quite easily (<3 dosbox)

Newer games tend to require bullshit in the registry. So... nope

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

my cousin brings half-life / counterstrike (idk which one both are like the same game >o ) over on his external harddrive and basically plug n plays... which is what got me thinking of putting ffxi on it for when i go to his house

Quote Originally Posted by safer
    my cousin brings half-life / counterstrike (idk which one both are like the same game >o ) over on his external harddrive and basically plug n plays... which is what got me thinking of putting ffxi on it for when i go to his house
    Speaking of CS/HL you don't even need an external HDD. You can share the folder and run the executable over the network just fine.

Old Merits
    BG Level

You need the class keys as well, beyond the HKLM keys.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You CAN however play the PS2 version of FFXI on your PS3 now thanks to a download on Sony's site that allows the PS3 to read the PS2's HDD file structure etc. Hope this helps you~
    So do you pull the HDD out of your fat PS2 and install into the PS3? Or connect them... How does this work.. Does it look like shite (like all the other PS2 ports?)

Sorry for the miriad of questions... just considering a new console and not sure if I am going for XBOX360 (strong contender here) or PS3-its-so-damn-expensive-i-doubt-it...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by epigram
    You need the class keys as well, beyond the HKLM keys.
    you're gonna have to elaborate for my simple mind

i went in last night and exported the playonlineUS folder thing... and within that folder there are like 3 other subfolders... i did notice some of them having C:\whatever so i understand the part about having to change that when i move it over to the other pc

i'll be goin over this weekend though, so it'd be nice to not screw it up and get it right on my first try - kinda had plans this weekend in game D;

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

can always just install it on both computers if the registry thing doesn't work, point it to the external drives both times and wipe the external drive after the 1st install and keep the 2nd install

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fng
    So do you pull the HDD out of your fat PS2 and install into the PS3? Or connect them... How does this work.. Does it look like shite (like all the other PS2 ports?)

Sorry for the miriad of questions... just considering a new console and not sure if I am going for XBOX360 (strong contender here) or PS3-its-so-damn-expensive-i-doubt-it...
    No worries about the questions. If you wanted to play FFXI on a PS3, you would have to download from the Sony Store the update for you to segment off a block of the PS3 HDD to be used in the same way the PS2 HDD worked. The update would then allow you to install any games that used the HDD, such as FFXI and they would be recognized by the PS3 and put into that 10GB section.

After all is said and done, and you've installed and updated the patches, the game looks exactly as if you were playing it on the PS2. Same low resolution and overall poor graphics.

If you want to play FFXI on a console, then my advice, is go with the Xbox360 version of FFXI. You will find the graphics are every bit as nice as the PC version running on high settings.

In my own personal view, owning copies of the game for PC, PS2 and 360, my favorite is the 360. The ONLY complaint I have about the Xbox360 version is every POL ID must have an LIVE account registered to it if you want to sign into POL. And, once those are registered they can't be broken apart. So if say for example, you were used to playing on your PS2, and you occasionally logged in under friends accounts using the Guest spot, you need to have a Xbox LIVE account for them now. And if that person down the road gets a 360, they are going to need that LIVE account you created since it has been forever tied to that POL ID.

I have no clue why Microsoft and Square did that. It's really a hassle but I'm glad at least you can use LIVE silver accounts for this and they are free.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Cool thanks.

I have never played a PC game, although I do have an alt account on my PC, I mainly use it to just hold gear / extra AH spots / TODs etc..

I literally have to ask folks how the heck to move again... (i use the controller almost exclusively on PS2)...

I am leaning towards XBOX b/c some of my old RL friends play there, so it would be nice to bounce over to some FPS to beat them down for a while... smack talk included. lol..

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

=<

welp i tried it and POL wont load

it gives me an error saying: "Class not Registered"

i did the registry thing and if i go into regedit i can see the folder "PlayonlineUS" and all the subfolders under it... and under the destination it is pointing to the external HDD

any insight appreciated D;

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

You will have to follow the directions on this windower forum thread on each computer you wish to run FFXI on.

http://www.windower.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8434

It's not all that complicated, but requires a bit more than just reg keys.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon
    You will have to follow the directions on this windower forum thread on each computer you wish to run FFXI on.

http://www.windower.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8434

It's not all that complicated, but requires a bit more than just reg keys.
    very nice apollyon! thanks alot for that, will make my "installs" much easier now