BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

lolfishing?

Is fishing still worth taking to 100? since now the price of the fishes dropped to 9k-15k price range.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a chef and am working on my fishing, not just because of price issues (if I can make more money than a stack of black sole is worth in the time it takes to fish up a stack, I should just farm and buy), but because of supply issues.

Some fish just don't seem to be sold much at any price, and I like to make unusual foods for my friends that rely on these fish. Pestering the various fishermen that I know all the time gets old. So, I just work on my fishing skill so I'll be able to pull up whatever fish I need.

Dunno if that makes it worth taking to 100, though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

you can catch things 30-50 levels higher than your fishing without a problem, since that update it seems like leveling up fishing is just a consequence of fishing for gil/profit/crafting

Old Merits
    BG Level

Fishing is profitable if you fishbot. If you manually fish then it is an amusing diversion but the appeal lasts for all of 1 fishing attempt.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

My friend fishes every day in SSG, he makes about 400k a trip til he gets fatigued. I think he's lvl 47 or so, not really sure what he fishes up tho.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vannis
    My friend fishes every day in SSG, he makes about 400k a trip til he gets fatigued. I think he's lvl 47 or so, not really sure what he fishes up tho.
    I predict Nebonites, but thats just a guess.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I think the consequence of the economy and the maturing player base (not the best description...) is that people are less likely to go and get raw materials for anything now.

Making the effort and crafting consumables, doing pre-synth items (such as thread to cloth) and fishing are all fairly worthwhile.

The psychology of people has changed to items like spider webs, people went mental for them at 50k in an economy with 30mil SH+1 but now they are 5k people aren't interested, current price of SH+1 is 3mil.

Both items are 10% of previous value but the appeal is gone. Imo still very worthwhile, especially if you are the crafter using the raw material.

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Quote Originally Posted by Vannis
    I predict Nebonites, but thats just a guess.
    nebs grims and coral frags i imagine, but 400K for like 5-6 hours right? Not to mention that means you need the lushang...My fishing is 83 w/ lushang and its fun to do from time to time now. If you have a friend to do it with it can be enjoyable, but most of the time you'll get bored quick. Skill ups are retardedly rare too.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp
    I think the consequence of the economy and the maturing player base (not the best description...) is that people are less likely to go and get raw materials for anything now.

Making the effort and crafting consumables, doing pre-synth items (such as thread to cloth) and fishing are all fairly worthwhile.

The psychology of people has changed to items like spider webs, people went mental for them at 50k in an economy with 30mil SH+1 but now they are 5k people aren't interested, current price of SH+1 is 3mil.

Both items are 10% of previous value but the appeal is gone. Imo still very worthwhile, especially if you are the crafter using the raw material.
    Although I understand what you're shooting for, you're not entirely correct. Yes spider webs have dropped, and lots of big ticket item prices have dropped as well. However the entire market has not dropped at the same ratio. Lots of small consumable items, crafting items, etc, did not see the exaggerated inflation of last year. So when spider webs jumped exponentially, and whereas these other goods only increased marginally, the profit in farming spider webs was tremendous. However now spider webs have bottomed out, and lots of the other goods have not.

But aside from that, yes gathering raw goods is very profitable, if you're not a lazy ass like me.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yea considering the influx of new mobs dropping webs and the huge clothcraft rush along with the lowered utility of SH those weren't the best examples.

I stand by my principle though, its still well worth going raw ingredients to finished. You can also remove risk from crafting if I buy 5 v claws and break 2 or 3 I am screwed, if I make 10 stacks of leather from farming rams I lose time only on breaks.

Back to the fishing
    Im currently lvl84 and fished since NA release.
    To my experience, fishing coupled with cooking was my only money maker (never been really lucky with NM nor BCNM). Even with this economy i can still raise 750k/1M a week by spending an average 60/90mn fishing a day. On my server, sushis and all related fish arent worth anything good and are ruled by bots or by ppl that are happy getting 200g profit on a stack. But still, there are new ways, new recipes that are 90% profit.
    For example, last expansion intruduced new areas and new fish in a way that if you give it a little research, you can find out that you can make as much money selling to NPC than AH, faster and more conveniently.
    Also when you reach 80+ you can get ryugus that are still 50k a pop and are in high demand by JP players.

To sum up money wise:
    Fishing+Cooking+imagination+while waiting for xp invite= WIN WIN WIN
    Fishing+Bot=WIN
    Fishing+fatigue=Not worth the effort

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I stopped fishing when they nerfed it. Used to be pretty fun/easy but meh. The really big thing though is the fish bots everywhere that sell items at a certain price so you can never make the market go up to make a better profit. Even if you get shit to sell at 20k or 30k or whatever and that is the current price in the last 10 sales, if they're programmed to sell them for 10k then they'll still put them up for that price. And that's what really pisses me off.

Go for it.

I took up digging becasue it's easy, quick and effortless, just like fishing. Run out and burn a few stacks while I wait for some friends or an event to start.

Of course the rewards won't be too hot but you can't expect too much from an activity any level 1 job with 200g can do.

Take it for what it is: A laid back way to make money without running very far or fighting anything.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Fishing is no where as profitable as it was. Fishbots have killed the market, however it doesn't mean its still not profitable. I usually fish while watching a movie, alt+1 and wait for the rod to catch something. :D

Qufim Island for Squid, Port Jeuno for Black Sole, Miserxau Coast for Emperor Fish, SSG for Grim.

I haven't fished in a while, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't still be reasonably good profit. It's steady income, and relies very little on luck given the current system. The only real barrier to entry is levelling the fishing itself. That said, for most of the profitable fish, the difference between 50 fishing and 100 fishing is minimal, so I wouldn't worry too terribly much about getting 100.

By the way, if you plan to spend any serious time fishing I highly recommend investing in a controller with force feedback or playing on the PS2 with controller vibration enabled (personally I prefer PS2 controller adapter on the PC). The controller will vibrate whenever you catch a fish, so you can just hit your fishing macro over and over again until you get a bite, then only shift your attention when you really need to. I personally have an easier time fighting fish using the controller too, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

i have a ps2 controller, how do I set it up to fish on my pc?

You can grab a Playstation Controller to USB adapter. I found one here for $12 ... you can probably find one cheaper by googling for it. Once you have a gamepad installed, you can enable and configure it for FFXI using the FFXI Configuration Utility (the little program where you set the resolution for FFXI). There is a button for the controller configuration there.[/url]

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba
    Controller > PC when it comes to fighting fish.
    That's one of the 50,000 reasons why I don't fish anymore.