Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: rdm/nin solo     submit to reddit submit to twitter

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

rdm/nin solo

whats the key. i always feel as if im casting to much. or not enough. then i either kill really slowly. can som1 just give me some advice on this
    75rdm/37nin [help me out]

Xaru

Soloing as RDM/NIN seems to me to be all about endurance, instead of speed. Can kill a lot of things on your own, just not very fast.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru
    Soloing as RDM/NIN seems to me to be all about endurance, instead of speed. Can kill a lot of things on your own, just not very fast.
    yea i feel more like im not killing a mob just out lasting it

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Medivac
    That's pretty much the lot of it. DoT's, enfeebles, en-spell damage...and stay alive. If you want faster soloing kills on targets that aren't able to eat your face in a few rounds, go with /war, /drk, or /blu.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Eraphiel
    That's pretty much the lot of it. DoT's, enfeebles, en-spell damage...and stay alive. If you want faster soloing kills on targets that aren't able to eat your face in a few rounds, go with /war, /drk, or /blu.
    If you're trying to kill something that requires NIN sub, subbing any of those will leave you eating dirt.

If you want more damage, and a little less survivability, go level NIN.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    Quote Originally Posted by Eraphiel
    If you're trying to kill something that requires NIN sub, subbing any of those will leave you eating dirt.

If you want more damage, and a little less survivability, go level NIN.
    Hence why I said the bolded part. If it can kill you in a matter of hits, then you're surviving and outlasting. If you're not happy with the damage, then yeah...level NIN main.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

i have both NIN and RDM 75 and have soloed on both...

NIN is WAY faster to solo with by far... but

you also dont survive as long... and you cant solo everything as NIN either...

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah just wait til ur NIN soloing a BLM mob.....those fucking agas make you eat dust fast, unless u get extremely lucky and can intterupt it, or paralyze its casting.

The only hard part is when phalanx goes down and if you miss a shadow and stoneskin goes down too.

I don't cast alot, enspells add up overtime, especially with joyeuse.

Exactly what a RDM does. We're not DD, we just don't give up very quickly. Hard headed and stubborn we are ^^; I always picture the mob saying "Why won't this taru die?!?!" (even though I still do sometimes :/)

About right in any case. RDM soloing is wearing down the mountain, not smashing it to bits in one stroke.

You can solo lots of stuff. Don't expect it to be quick, that's the price you pay for having better survival traits than a frickin' cockroach.

I find that, even as rdm/nin, using any sword in DW with joyeuse is a waste of time. I usually go for joy/genbu for attack speed, then go with a haste setup for slightly faster kills. Combined with haste spell, you really won't miss the extra damage of a main-hand sword like martial anelace. Maybe eat meat if you've got sword merits for slightly higher attack.

Other than that, yeah not much you can do. RDM kills slow, we make up for it with not needing to rest.

Actually I was wondering.

What's faster.

Joy/sword or dagger.

Or single joy?

Demosthenes11

I just bought a Guespiere, havn't really had time to test how good the damage is compared to other things though.

Guespiere/joy btw

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

In terms of outlasting, anything with MP go mainhand Dagger for Energy Drain (except dark resistant mobs)

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Actually I was wondering.

What's faster.

Joy/sword or dagger.

Or single joy?
    Blau [or misericorde if you're cheap like me] and joy offhand.

Eviseration update made it a very good WS, and you don't get vorpal anyways with /NIN, making it worth the slot. And it gives you the option to MP Drain if you need it/it applies.

Or you can do the whole 2xCeremonial Dagger trick if the mob can REALLY shred you and you have 2 hours to blow fighting it.

but yeah, RDM/NIN doesn't win. RDM/NIN waits until the enemy dies of old age.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

It really depends on how you're soloing. On easy stuff, an evasion build can help reduce a lot of your casting (such as avatars and EP stuff), in which it doesn't really matter if you offhand something or not.

However, on the really hard stuff you're going to want Fast Cast>Haste>-%dmg gear. if you can get genbu's shield, the added def, -10% dmg, and shield blocks are going to help you a lot more than an offhand weapon will (assuming joyeuse main). The only exception is if you're fighting mob with MP, then dagger/joyesue is an excellent combo. -%dmg and DEF+ is really helpful for soloing as rdm/nin as well as carrying around gear to make your stoneskins cap at 350HP.

like others have said, RDM isn't a speed kill job, so unless you're maining dagger for energy drain (recommend martial knife for this), then just stick with joyeuse/shield for the hard stuff. Hard stuff is very casting intensive even with just utsus not to mention keeping up buffs.

Just start dusting off the Melee side of Rdm after a break from the job from over use. Rdm is always a nice Diverse job. recently my friend and I duoed dolls both as Rdm/nin then another friend came up to sky Drk/thf for stun duty just before Despot popped. Being able to shift gears from melee to Dot/nuke kite without having to change jobs is the real nice attribute that is Rdm. I am looking forward to leveling my bst to 75 with my friend to add to our capacity on Rdm.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

On a lot of harder mobs, I find that it is much easier to sleep-nuke with /NIN and not even bother meleeing. The problem with meleeing your enemies to death is that it requires a lot more buffs and misc. spellcasting, which means you are trying to balance a lot more tasks and ultimately have more chances to screw up. Nobody is perfect, everyone is prone to a minor error, and I find that just one screw up can mean the untimely end of a long annoying battle

The way I sleep-nuke, I really only need a few buffs up at a time. This allows me to clear my mind and just worry about keeping my cycle of dealing damage while maintaining MP. If you time your sleeps you can rest up your MP fairly quickly too ( ie cast sleep 1, rest for 45 seconds, cast sleep 2 on top of sleep 1, rest for 1 minute 15 seconds, get up and be ready for the mob to wake up ). Obviously this won't work for mobs that resist sleep, in which case I'd probably just resort to DoT kiting.

Also, I noticed somebody mentioned evasion+ builds? My view of RDM evasion builds is best summed as:

When it works, you don't need it.
    When you need it, it won't work.

In other words, our base evasion skill is jus too shitty to ever truly help us out. If the mob is weak enough to actually miss you consistently, than you could probably kill the mob a lot faster by using an ATT+ build. And if the mob is strong enough that the evasion actually matters, well the mob's accuracy is going to be high enough that your evasion build doesn't do jack.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by theo
    Also, I noticed somebody mentioned evasion+ builds? My view of RDM evasion builds is best summed as:

When it works, you don't need it.
    When you need it, it won't work.

In other words, our base evasion skill is jus too shitty to ever truly help us out. If the mob is weak enough to actually miss you consistently, than you could probably kill the mob a lot faster by using an ATT+ build. And if the mob is strong enough that the evasion actually matters, well the mob's accuracy is going to be high enough that your evasion build doesn't do jack.
    this is all true for the most part, but you can push evasion pretty far actually. My evasion skill on red mage is 243 (248 cap or 252 cap with melody+1 to my knowledge) with equips which while it won't make or break a lot of fights, depending on what you fight can make it easier/less casting intensive. You're right, if it's going to be hard, you're not going to want to use an evasion build, but they can help sometimes. Just depends really.

That being said, our base evasion still caps lower than a warrior. Then again, our archery skill is higher than our dark magic skill. Take it for what it's worth haha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast