73 39.89%
  • Horn

110 60.11%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relic Shield vs. Horn     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Relic Shield vs. Horn

My dynamis shell has been slowly saving coins to make a relic for the ls. However, I'm somewhat undecided on which relic to go with first and wanted to hear some opinions.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Shield benefits one tank and helps them stay alive longer.

Horn benefits the 5 other MP users in the party, and if you're feeling antsy, any alliance member that uses MP because you can move the Bard around.

You're basiaclly choosing between the likelihood you'll find yourself in an emergency situation (Aegis PLD won't get beat up easily), and your likelihood of recovering from it (Faster MP Refresh throughout an alliance works wonders for recovering faster).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

In the end, neither one of them is going to change the way your LS plays the game.

Sorry, I still think that Relic is overrated.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    In the end, neither one of them is going to change the way your LS plays the game.

Sorry, I still think that Relic is overrated.
    If making sure your aegis has hate in certain situations isnt changing the way you play, I dont know what is.

Horn definitely changed the way we fought Tiamat. Full MP in the tank PT for 45minutes straight let us go all out on DMG and such. If we ever got in trouble we could just cure bomb whoever until the situation was thwarted.

It doesn't change the dynamics of the battles but it does let you be more efficient and/or creative.

Infinite MP for everyone >>>>>>>>>> 1 tank stays alive more easily

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

flip a coin, theyre both amazing.

im a tank so i masturbate in my closet w/ a banana in my ass over the shield. im sure most brds do the /exact/ same, lol but, i think that if ur ls is good enough, then they will benefit from the shield more than the horn. sure, id be nice to have 3more mp a tick but if ur good enough, u can easily survive w/o it. w/ the shield, ull feel full benefit at all times. unless the pld quit for wow.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpp
    im a tank so i masturbate in my closet w/ a banana in my ass over the shield
    your replies cease to amaze me

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Give it to whom is more deserving...the BRD or the PLD.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

It all depends on your linkshell and how the items would end up being used.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Make sure you find someone that actually deserves it and doesn't bail after getting it before worrying about which is more 'useful.' LS sponsored relics have a huge potential for drama because you're putting at least 6+ months of work in the hands of 1 guy who can leave, quit, turn out to be a dick, etc.

BTW if you're a dynamis LS only, I would probably go with Horn as far as which helps the LS more (dynamis cases). Nothing in Dynamis is like Tiamat where that shield would really shine, its mostly T to VT mobs. Horn would let you burn through mobs quicker (as well as give alot more MP to your tank so it ends up helping both).

I would say Horn since it's going to be useful in more situations/fights than an Aegis will IMO.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

apples and oranges. neither should make or break a dynamis/hnm fight(not countine the 6man jorg fight they had both) etc. if i had to choose i would just give it to the brd, in the long run its more effient. personally i would give it to the person who had earned it the most.

Sagacious Sundi

Give it to whoever is less likely to quit/retire after they get the relic "weapon".

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious Sundi
    Give it to whoever is less likely to quit/retire after they get the relic "weapon".
    Yeah. If you have someone who truly enjoys being a bard, for everything, then Horn, sure. If not, Aegis. Although I think Aegis just might be better, PLD could try out /brd /drk and such instead of just that silly little vokebot of /war. Xavier test that

As PLD tanking a few things I have more mp than I can use, though I don't have near the experience a lot of other pld's have. So more mp wouldn't mean much.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm biased cause i main PLD, but i think they're pretty neck and neck on utility. Either one could benefit your entire group an absurd amount...shield being the highest block rate and an insane damage reduction, and horn being a limitless supply of MP for everyone if you're smart enough to play Pass The BRD. In the end though, no relic will ever make or break a fight unless perhaps an extra you have an Aegis PLD tanking something where he would've died without Aegis, or you damage-rush some mob like DL and your damage dealt reaches just enough damage to kill it before getting wiped out cause 1-2 of your melees had relic and could deal higher damage than melees w/o relic.

I still think that weapons with a 200-500M pricetag attatched should be able to 1-shot shit, not just increase their damage by a marginal amount.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Horn is more beneficial to a LS than aegis...especially considering some mobs you can't have a solo tank....and hate needs to bounce around a little
    There are things you can do in this game without the need for tanks...and Ghorn will help...
    There is the issue of the BRDs inventory space ghorn will help
    There is dynamis...there is BCs there is wyrms...
    Ghorn is always going to help (obviously the biggest benefit is from the ballad)

Aegis while pimp as hell, as was said is only going to help 1 tank, who needs hate for it to be effective..
    Now if you had 1 horn + 2 aegis....if that doesn't change things (i mean trivialize them) i dont know what else would >.>

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Give the relic weapon to the person you hate the most, because their sure to quit within a few months of receiving the relic.

Vygun

As much as I love Aegis, I would say horn is better. By saying this I am not saying Aegis is awful, because its not. Like many people have pointed out though infinite MP is very nice. The big downfall of Aegis is simply most mobs require multiple tanks due to hate reset. Aegis is still an amazing piece of equipment don't get me wrong and I would say its a close second to horn. Both are broken if used properly. (By used properly I mean don't wear m feet with aegis... thats all JPs do on my server , or something similar to that)

Problem is when my linkshell upgraded mine we had no full time brds, so we went for aegis. No regrets with that choice as stated above. Waiting around for the full time brd who is willing to play nothing but brd at events gets pretty old fast.

There isn't a wrong choice between the two, it is more of a question of what your linkshell's current situation is when it comes to Paladins and Bards.