E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Do we even need to go there? I'd have a more intelligent conversation with the brick wall out back. Bush ftmfl.

Xavier

His plan is the highlight, not is speech. I don't know, its such a mess now.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I was to busy re-living my childhood watching Armed and Famous with Eric Estrada.

I didnt know people actually watched Presidental speeches anymore, I thought that died out when TVs came out and people stopped 'watching' their radios.

Xavier

People who actually care about their lives still do.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Our leaders dont grace us with their presence on TV,
    unless its a public trial. Plus people are too busy watching their novelas.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I just got home from work, how was it?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It went as expected I guess...

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I didnt know people actually watched Presidental speeches anymore, I thought that died out when TVs came out and people stopped 'watching' their radios.
    I like to know what our tanless rulers are up to everynow and then.

I just got home from work, how was it?
    Well i dunno, it was ok i guess, but im just still not sure if i agree with what he wants. This whole war is getting tiresome. And i just dont think people who lived under a dictatorship are able to rule themselves or fight back. People should rebel agaisnt dictatorships in order to gain their freedom both phisicaly and mentaly, not get freed, or else they just dont learn how.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

I don't watch the speeches, I read the transcript afterwards. Two reasons:

1) Speeches are fucking retarded watered-down bullshit that's been run through so many psychological filters and editors and polls and thinktanks that it's insulting to my intelligence to listen to.

2) I hate being reminded that the man who's representing me to the rest of the world is an inarticualte, arrogant, twitchy asshole with a stupid, smug little smirk and a speech impediment.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya
    I like to know what our tanless rulers are up to everynow and then.
    Usually Presidental speeches are summed up in a few sentances and are already in the news the day of or before. So watching an hour+ of dancing around facts, statements and questions that can be summed up in one minute hardly ever adds anything.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya
    And i just dont think people who lived under a dictatorship are able to rule themselves or fight back. People should rebel agaisnt dictatorships in order to gain their freedom both phisicaly and mentaly, not get freed, or else they just dont learn how.
    Well I think part of it is people don't know what to expect in a situation like this, you have a people who aren't bonded by a common interest because of the fact that they we're 'freed' like you say. On the same token, the 'rein of terror' was generated by a group with a common interest, so it's just not always peachy anyway.

Reguardless I'll probly read the transcript later tonight.

Read the transcript. Was moving and convincing. I went from being a Bush hater and blaming every single death in Iraq on his incompetance to instantly supporting the war. We should send 100,000 more troops.

Wait, nm, this isnt fairytale land. That speech did nothing but reaffirm Bush's complete alienation of the general public. "We are spreading freedom" is getting old.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I didn't catch the entire speech, had to get back to class. However, it does seem that I'll be going there sooner rather than later.

Old Merits
    BG Level

freedom isnt free, no theres a heafty fuckin fee
    and if ya'll dont chip in we'll never pay that bill

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I saw just a clip of the main speech on the news.

It sounded more like an apology than a solid President speech... shortly after there was a clip of our Gov'officals saying that will have no role in this 100,000 Army tally.

I cannot believe Tony Blair hasn't rolled over on his back this time lol....

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Slapper
    freedom isnt free, no theres a heafty fuckin fee
    and if ya'll dont chip in we'll never pay that bill
    You're right. Freedom isn't free. But when the majority of the American public & the majority of the Iraqi public say they don't want the US to keep paying the bill... then Bush should just stop beating the dead horse. Iraq was never a war we should have been in to begin with.

Bush lied to the American people on why we should, he lied about why we should keep it up, and now... he is saying yes, he was wrong but we need to just keep taking the shit we've been shoveled because he "Knows it's the right thing to do".

As much as I hate Bush and his administration, as much as it saddens me that the United States is being bashed in the global community by his actions, & as heartbreaking it is that 3,008 American soldiers & countless Iraqi citizens have given their lives for his bullshit.. I am happy about one thing.

Maybe now, the people will realize they made a mistake by letting him steal his first election and then rewarding him by electing him a second time. Maybe people will pay a little bit closer attention to their Government and politics. Maybe they'll stop bitching when the shit hits the fan & smell it instead before it even gets near it.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Maybe now, the people will realize they made a mistake by letting him steal his first election and then rewarding him by electing him a second time.
    So Gore or Kerry would be better? lolz

Just take a look at 99% of "politicians" today, they are all idiots who pander pander pander wherever they get votes. And you know what? The american public likes it like that. They don't want people who will stand up and say "20% of you are fucking lazy bastards who leech welfare, go out and get a damn job" or "OMG did you know illegal immigrants are ruining the country??? snipers every 12 feet on the border....go"

The american public wants happy-go-lucky-sunshine blown up their asses, they dont want to sacrifice anything to improve the country...and they all cling to the constitution like it's a catch-all for having everything handed to them. The goddamn ACLU has ruined this country.

Back when the constitution was written, a handful of pissed off people from 4000 miles away (or living in the midwest) couldn't acquire the materials to kill thousands/millions of people...we live in a different world now and people insist on clinging to a 240 year old document whenever it suits them best.

It's time for a rewrite.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Maybe now, the people will realize they made a mistake by letting him steal his first election and then rewarding him by electing him a second time.

Just take a look at 99% of "politicians" today, they are all idiots who pander pander pander wherever they get votes. And you know what? The american public likes it like that. They don't want people who will stand up and say "20% of you are fucking lazy bastards who leech welfare, go out and get a damn job" or "OMG did you know illegal immigrants are ruining the country??? snipers every 12 feet on the border....go"

The american public wants happy-go-lucky-sunshine blown up their asses, they dont want to sacrifice anything to improve the country...and they all cling to the constitution like it's a catch-all for having everything handed to them. The goddamn ACLU has ruined this country.

Back when the constitution was written, a handful of pissed off people from 4000 miles away (or living in the midwest) couldn't acquire the materials to kill thousands/millions of people...we live in a different world now and people insist on clinging to a 240 year old document whenever it suits them best.

It's time for a rewrite.
    Gore would have been better than Bush. Kerry would have been better than Bush. Hell, a rock would have been better than bush. How much better though is open to opinion. There should be a "None of the Above" option.

I agree with you nearly every politician panders to the public and the majority of the public likes it. It is time for a rewrite and or major revision.

When it was singed, the Constitution covered what.. 3.5-4million people and 13 colonies. The founding fathers & authors of the Constitution knew damn good and well that changes would be needed from time to time if the Constitution was going to survive while meeting the needs & growth of what would be an ever evolving nation.

The authors were also very aware that the process of change should not be easy to do, making it so bad ideas or half-assed things weren't passed as amendments. At the same time however, they wanted to make sure that a small group could not stop things needing to be changed by a majority of the people.

The solution? They made a dual process in which the Constitution could be revised. Congress, by a two-thirds vote in each house, may initiate an amendment. Alternatively, the legislatures of two-thirds of the states may ask Congress to call a national convention to discuss and draft amendments. Whatever the case, amendments must have the approval of three-fourths of the states.

It's just sad that now with a much larger population & more diverse set of sates under it, that it's only been amended 27 times since 1789. If they made the Constitution to be revised every few years to keep up with change, and we haven't kept up our end of the deal, you're right.... it just goes to show people are happier having sunshine blown up their ass than knowing how bad things really are. Maybe Mike Judge's view of the future in Idiocracy isn't that far off after all....

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany
    Quote Originally Posted by Raineer

It's time for a rewrite.
    Gore would have been better than Bush. Kerry would have been better than Bush. Hell, a rock would have been better than bush. How much better though is open to opinion. There should be a "None of the Above" option.

I agree with you nearly every politician panders to the public and the majority of the public likes it. It is time for a rewrite and or major revision.

When it was singed, the Constitution covered what.. 3.5-4million people and 13 colonies. The founding fathers & authors of the Constitution knew damn good and well that changes would be needed from time to time if the Constitution was going to survive while meeting the needs & growth of what would be an ever evolving nation.

The authors were also very aware that the process of change should not be easy to do, making it so bad ideas or half-assed things weren't passed as amendments. At the same time however, they wanted to make sure that a small group could not stop things needing to be changed by a majority of the people.

The solution? They made a dual process in which the Constitution could be revised. Congress, by a two-thirds vote in each house, may initiate an amendment. Alternatively, the legislatures of two-thirds of the states may ask Congress to call a national convention to discuss and draft amendments. Whatever the case, amendments must have the approval of three-fourths of the states.

It's just sad that now with a much larger population & more diverse set of sates under it, that it's only been amended 27 times since 1789. If they made the Constitution to be revised every few years to keep up with change, and we haven't kept up our end of the deal, you're right.... it just goes to show people are happier having sunshine blown up their ass than knowing how bad things really are. Maybe Mike Judge's view of the future in Idiocracy isn't that far off after all....
    Win this thread. Especially about the rock and bush lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast