+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: WHM Melee random crap     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Re: WHM Meele random crap

First of all, grats on stage 4 Maul. I'm of the opinion that the relic maul is an amazing upgrade for WHM Melee- because instead of a minor upgrade in DMG, the relic is a full 15 (or, after the introduction of Brass Jagdana+1, 11) more DMG than the next best, while maintaining a low delay. In the hands of a fully merited, fully hasted, and fully intelligent WHM, it'd be devastating.

Also, <3 for asking for me 8)

I'd like to say that I expect Hexa-Strike to do better than Randgrith on most mobs, but the usefulness of a single strike WS on HNMs (and the rarity of Randgrith) should be tweaked as well.

Being that it is a single strike WS and you can eschew accuracy for straight STR and MND (as well as eschewing Haste, which is even easier to reach the cap of 25% without Blessed+1 via the newish Goliard Saio), I'd imagine that a good setup to strive for would be...

Head: Healer's Cap +1 (Since we are eschewing acc on this one hit, and Voyager sallet is 3STR, I'd give the edge to the 7MND here, given the higher modifier. However, if Cap +1 is not an option, I'd imagine 3STR would beat out 4 MND on NQ Cap)
    Neck: Gorget hands down
    Ears: Brutal of course, the other earring isn't too important as you are looking at 1STR, 2STR, or 6 attack as your only real choices as damaging
    Body: Lessen you get that wacky +12MND body, a new addition to the WHM Melee setup has been the Tabin Jupon +1, which gives 7 Accuracy, 2 DEX (for another Acc), and 2 STR. I'd say that is a better option than R.Mail, and is what I wear.
    Hands: For WS, Healer's Mitts+1 hands down
    Rings: Rajas and Triumph, hands down
    Back: Sandy Mantle is great here, def. beating out the only other option of 6 Attack or straight MND
    Waist: I feel that the accuracy loss from going from Potent to Cleric's for 6 MND versus 3 STR, or Potent to Buccaneer's (or the Hume RSE belt) for 1 extra STR, is counterproductive. Until we get a more middle of the road MND+STR belt, Potent is your best option.
    Legs: Since accuracy isn't too key, Blessed Trousers (or rather, the +1) are the best. Since I'm just a Hexa-clonker, I do keep Prince's slops (which have only 3 MND) if I need accuracy
    Feet: Creek Clomps are quite impressive, go with them. I hadn't looked at the Taru RSE options last time, and I imagine 4 STR would be well even against the high MND one can get here.

As for Ammo, your only real choices are Tiphia Sting or (as a Taru) a +1MND piece. The Sting is better imo.
    And as for subslot, I don't know if you mainly sub /NIN or not. If not, I imagine the 12 Attack shield, or the 5 Accuracy shield, would be best. If you are /NIN that means you probably would want perhaps a Pirate club in the secondary slot, as I don't believe Morgensterns +6% critical rate works in offhand? I must refind that out...

Food choices shouldn't be too varied, I'd imagine. I'd hope for straight meat. And as for subjobs... well, I hope you have a bunch leveled I'd love to know how certain ones fare.

Please, ask anything more, I forgot how enlightening our last back and forth was months ago!

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Head: I plan on getting Cap +1 soon, the last stupid upgrade piece won't drop lol.
    Body: I was thinking of going with Blessed Briault for the +MND. The Reverend mail has -5 MND and I definitely don't wanna be wearing that.
    Ear: Brutal/Suppa for TP, Brutal/Minuet for WS.

Everything else I agree with you in. I do have access to Clerics Feet +1 which is +6 MND, but I think the RSE will do better than that. For meriting, I'd off hand the Perdu Wand. (2nd or 3rd highest DPS of any club). For doing e-peen WS damage, I'd wear the +15 attack +5 MND pirate club on the off hand.

I guess I don't have to do too much gear changing from Hexa Strike. I don't need the accuracy as much so I can get that Reverend Mail out of there for something that will give me some nice damage. I think I'll keep the potent belt. +3STR isn't something to be ashamed of, plus +8 accuracy is just nice to have to make sure I don't straight up just miss the WS haha.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    Head: I plan on getting Cap +1 soon, the last stupid upgrade piece won't drop lol.
    Body: I was thinking of going with Blessed Briault for the +MND. The Reverend mail has -5 MND and I definitely don't wanna be wearing that.

Everything else I agree with you in. I do have access to Clerics Feet +1 which is +6 MND, but I think the RSE will do better than that. For meriting, I'd off hand the Perdu Wand. (2nd or 3rd highest DPS of any club). For doing e-peen WS damage, I'd wear the +15 attack +5 MND pirate club on the off hand.

I guess I don't have to do too much gear changing from Hexa Strike. I don't need the accuracy as much so I can get that Reverend Mail out of there for something that will give me some nice damage. I think I'll keep the potent belt. +3STR isn't something to be ashamed of, plus +8 accuracy is just nice to have to make sure I don't straight up just miss the WS haha.
    Voyager over AF+1 head
    Reverend over Blessed, (as long as your not losing MND [-#], theres no point in losing 10 ACC or 3 STR and 7 ACC with tabin+1)

TP in blessed (hands feet legs), WS in blessed legs (pretty much only since you get more MND with mahatma and af2+1)
    some other shit
    Morgenstern / perdu is probably the best bet before Relic/KC

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ohemgee

Voyager over AF+1 head
    Reverend over Blessed, (as long as your not losing MND [-#], theres no point in losing 10 ACC or 3 STR and 7 ACC with tabin+1)

TP in blessed (hands feet legs), WS in blessed legs (pretty much only since you get more MND with mahatma and af2+1)
    some other shit
    come finish my relic and i can test that my melee gear is decent!

oh and i agree with everyone that said use light gorget for hexa strike, it really really helps the damage
    i finished off nin sub recently so i think ima go play around on G2 mobs to see how high i can get it

oh shut up it so counts.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Voyager over AF+1 head

some other shit
    AF+1 head as 7MND, Voyager had 3STR. I think 7MND would have more of an effect.
    Reverend Mail sucks donkey nuts for Relic WS. It has -5MND on it, and I don't need accuracy for the WS. If I wear blessed body, i get +5MND. Replacing the Reverend mail is like getting +10MND.
    Wearing Mahatma for ANY WS is stupid, sure it has a dickload of MND, but it's got the same amount of -STR, which defeats the purpose.
    Gullitani/Perdu has more DPS over Morgenstern/Perdu. The +6% crit rate won't make up for the terrible DPS. (Morgenstern (7.74dps w/latent, Gullitani 10.06).
    I'm still wary about Relic/KC for meriting. I don't think using Relic/KC would parse higher than Relic/Perdu. Obviously I'll try it out when I get the stage 5, but I don't think the damage lost on the offhand will make up for the 2-8 swings for more WS. I could be wrong though.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Voyager over AF+1 head

some other shit
    Reverend Mail sucks donkey nuts for Relic WS. It has -5MND on it, and I don't need accuracy for the WS. If I wear blessed body, i get +5MND. Replacing the Reverend mail is like getting +10MND.
    Wearing Mahatma for ANY WS is stupid, sure it has a dickload of MND, but it's got the same amount of -STR, which defeats the purpose.
    Gullitani/Perdu has more DPS over Morgenstern/Perdu. The +6% crit rate won't make up for the terrible DPS. (Morgenstern (7.74dps w/latent, Gullitani 10.06).
    I'm still wary about Relic/KC for meriting. I don't think using Relic/KC would parse higher than Relic/Perdu. Obviously I'll try it out when I get the stage 5, but I don't think the damage lost on the offhand will make up for the 2-8 swings for more WS. I could be wrong though.
    Thank god your not a real melee.

3 STR 4 DEX > 7 MND why? STR on par with MND (say 3 STR vs 3 MND) outparses it, WHY?! Because ask any decent, non-retarded WAR and he'll tell you one thing concerning Steel Cyclone, N.Head > Genbu's Kabuto (since VIT is the second modifier and gives 3 more VIT over str). Picture it like this, STR and MND are hammers and the WS is a nail. MND will do the "standard" projected incision vs STR which will do MORE because of the direct correlation between STR vs MobVIT.
    On top of the fact that you don't look like a complete faggot when WSing. Plus 4 DEX isn't TOO bad for a critical hit modifier, again see MNKs about that.

Since we know MND is negligible at best, Reverend Mail or Tabin Jupon +1 is the OPTIMAL body piece, why? ACC for multi hit weapon skills ARE IN FACT MORE IMPORTANT THEN SECONDARY MODIFIERS. No matter what gear you have, you will NOT lose MND to actually DROP the modifier. Rev Mail + Blessed Pants cancel that theory out. Remember, as long as your not LOSING MND your not losing parsed %'s of Hexa Strike (meaning, you wont lose a basic average vs a capable average; 600 avg with primitive MND gear vs 500 with MND loss).

For the sake of argument, take NIN's senji for example, the DPS is LOWER compared to some other katanas, does that make it crap and that the higher DPS weapon optimal? Fuck no. Capped Merits (assuming your smart enough to do this before meleeing) in Critical hit and club (which is retardedly low and you NEED merits in order to merit or else you WILL parse in the 70-80% range with sushi, which I've already parsed myself to assure you this [on mamools]). Albeit, Perdu Wand IS the best off hand, because KC is expensive and retarded to use in any xp situation. Morgenstern/Perdu until you get your wonder club.

Optimal shit should be like this:
    TP (assuming capped merits and sushi since you'll need it regardless):
    Mjo/Perdu
    Tiphia
    Turban, Prudence (assuming capped merits), brutal/suppa
    Nashira/Rev/Tabin, jse, acc/acc ring (don't bother questioning this)
    rk cape, swift, jse, jse

WS:
    Tiphia (or if you have a STR+ satchet)
    Voyager, Gorget, Brutal/minuet (or that ATK+ earring)
    Rev/Tabin, af+1, str/str
    rk, potent, jse, mahatma pigaches (or whatever MND+6++) because theres no good feet to WS in anyway, yes its MND, but look for a STR feet, and you'll end up with +1 from mountain gaiters.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You're a pretty mean person lol.

Just a simple explanation of why 3STR is better than 7MND on a 40% STR/MND mod was better would have sufficed. Q_Q not like I have a meele job Q___________________________Q

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Voyager over AF+1 head

some other shit
    Thank god your not a real melee.

3 STR 4 DEX > 7 MND why? STR on par with MND (say 3 STR vs 3 MND) outparses it, WHY?! Because ask any decent, non-retarded WAR and he'll tell you one thing concerning Steel Cyclone, N.Head > Genbu's Kabuto (since VIT is the second modifier and gives 3 more VIT over str). Picture it like this, STR and MND are hammers and the WS is a nail. MND will do the "standard" projected incision vs STR which will do MORE because of the direct correlation between STR vs MobVIT.
    On top of the fact that you don't look like a complete faggot when WSing. Plus 4 DEX isn't TOO bad for a critical hit modifier, again see MNKs about that.

Since we know MND is negligible at best, Reverend Mail or Tabin Jupon +1 is the OPTIMAL body piece, why? ACC for multi hit weapon skills ARE IN FACT MORE IMPORTANT THEN SECONDARY MODIFIERS. No matter what gear you have, you will NOT lose MND to actually DROP the modifier. Rev Mail + Blessed Pants cancel that theory out. Remember, as long as your not LOSING MND your not losing parsed %'s of Hexa Strike (meaning, you wont lose a basic average vs a capable average; 600 avg with primitive MND gear vs 500 with MND loss).

For the sake of argument, take NIN's senji for example, the DPS is LOWER compared to some other katanas, does that make it crap and that the higher DPS weapon optimal? Fuck no. Capped Merits (assuming your smart enough to do this before meleeing) in Critical hit and club (which is retardedly low and you NEED merits in order to merit or else you WILL parse in the 70-80% range with sushi, which I've already parsed myself to assure you this [on mamools]). Albeit, Perdu Wand IS the best off hand, because KC is expensive and retarded to use in any xp situation. Morgenstern/Perdu until you get your wonder club.

Optimal shit should be like this:
    TP (assuming capped merits and sushi since you'll need it regardless):
    Mjo/Perdu
    Tiphia
    Turban, Prudence (assuming capped merits), brutal/suppa
    Nashira/Rev/Tabin, jse, acc/acc ring (don't bother questioning this)
    rk cape, swift, jse, jse

WS:
    Tiphia (or if you have a STR+ satchet)
    Voyager, Gorget, Brutal/minuet (or that ATK+ earring)
    Rev/Tabin, af+1, str/str
    rk, potent, jse, mahatma pigaches (or whatever MND+6++) because theres no good feet to WS in anyway, yes its MND, but look for a STR feet, and you'll end up with +1 from mountain gaiters.
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Creek_M_Clomps

be nice to izzy, he's a nice taru that uses Q_Q with reckless abandon

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You're a pretty mean person lol.

Just a simple explanation of why 3STR is better than 7MND on a 40% STR/MND mod was better would have sufficed. Q_Q not like I have a meele job Q___________________________Q
    I get the point across with long arduous posts.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

So, ratio wise, what MND do you think would = 1 STR for a mod on a WS? 3MND:1STR?

Meaning, like you said, voyager(3str) > healers +1 (7mnd). Where's the line I draw to chose between STR and MND?

Also, the 2 STR on the Jupon is better than the 5MND on briault?

Remember, i have my hexa setup already, this is for Randgirth, a single hit WS. Accuracy really means shit to me.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So, ratio wise, what MND do you think would = 1 STR for a mod on a WS? 3MND:1STR?

Meaning, like you said, voyager(3str) > healers +1 (7mnd). Where's the line I draw to chose between STR and MND?

Also, the 2 STR on the Jupon is better than the 5MND on briault?

Remember, i have my hexa setup already, this is for Randgirth, a single hit WS. Accuracy really means shit to me.
    You wont really run into many things to WS in where you need to think of a ratio. Because your going to be maxed out at +30 STR regardless. The only real debate would be between Morrigans shoes and Creek Clomps. If you think about it, theres really nothing else besides feet and legs that you CAN replace if there was something better, like STR+ legs, or again Morrigan or w/e Feet.

3 STR on HQ Jupon (its a bitch to make) and 7 ACC (think of it as a Haub+1 vs Nbody in a scale form). NQ would still be better regardless, only because you'll need a substantial amount of MND in order for it to be noticed, again STR vs MobVIT.

And with that optimal WS setup, theres little room to change for any other "set".

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

First, I'd like to point out that I think more will be accomplished if we keep this friendly

I'll agree with ohemgee that Tabin Jupon+1 is better than Briault (I'm also biased, I do love to WS in things I own/signed myself). I feel that the STR and DEX would be quite helpful in pumping it up higher, but my main reason for liking it is the accuracy. I know I'm still thinking in a Hexa world, but if you offhand a weapon, doesn't that make Randgrith two hits? And with Brutal could you get a double attack on relic WS? I assume so, so I feel 2 STR, 2 DEX, 8 total accuracy beats out 5/6 MND. You say going to Blessed is like getting +10MND, well going to Tabin+1 is like getting +7 MND (+5 MND and +2STR), and I feel 2 STR beats out 3 MND.

I feel that the Sallet and Healer's Cap+1 are pretty close. I'd say on a critical WS like Hexa it'd be useful, but not as useful as Ohat's accuracy. Now, WHM STR and DEX are pretty low, so getting them increased is good as well, but I feel that they'd work out close in relative gain. That's a piece that's completely, in my opinion, up to the user to decide what works best. The DEX may help your accuracy as well, but I doubt you'll be whiffing many WSs. Depending on what you are fighting, an increase in STR may not push you much over the mobVIT, but if it does, Sallet may win out. I'd suggest getting one and finding out yourself!

And, though he put it in a much shorter form than my ramblings, I am in agreement with ohemgee's TP/WS gear set choices (minus your RSE). I'd like to hear some debate on RK Mantle (2STR, 2MND) over Bellicose (6 Attack) for TP, it's obviously a good WS piece.

Oh, and btw, Tabin Jupon +1 is 2 STR and an effective 8 accuracy (+7 and one from 2 DEX), I just refer to it as the normal Jupon because it's assumed that if you are getting relic, you get HQs. And it isn't an impossible HQ (as compared to what you might expect from Blessed+1 or even Mahatma feet), I got it on my 20th or so try, and it's not that expensive to make, compared to some things one might want.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kriz
    First, I'd like to point out that I think more will be accomplished if we keep this friendly

Firstly, being a Taru he has access to STR+4 on his feet, which I noted is better than the best MND he could get (+6 or +10).

I'll agree with ohemgee that Tabin Jupon+1 is better than Briault (I'm also biased, I do love to WS in things I own/signed myself). I feel that the STR and DEX would be quite helpful in pumping it up higher, but my main reason for liking it is the accuracy. I know I'm still thinking in a Hexa world, but if you offhand a weapon, doesn't that make Randgrith two hits? And with Brutal could you get a double attack on relic WS? I assume so, so I feel 2 STR, 2 DEX, 8 total accuracy beats out 5/6 MND. You say going to Blessed is like getting +10MND, well going to Tabin+1 is like getting +7 MND (+5 MND and +2STR), and I feel 2 STR beats out 3 MND.

I feel that the Sallet and Healer's Cap+1 are pretty close. I'd say on a critical WS like Hexa it'd be useful, but not as useful as Ohat's accuracy. Now, WHM STR and DEX are pretty low, so getting them increased is good as well, but I feel that they'd work out close in relative gain. That's a piece that's completely, in my opinion, up to the user to decide what works best. The DEX may help your accuracy as well, but I doubt you'll be whiffing many WSs. Depending on what you are fighting, an increase in STR may not push you much over the mobVIT, but if it does, Sallet may win out. I'd suggest getting one and finding out yourself!

And, though he put it in a much shorter form than my ramblings, I am in agreement with ohemgee's TP/WS gear set choices (minus your RSE).

Oh, and btw, Tabin Jupon +1 is 2 STR, I just refer to it as the normal Jupon because it's assumed that if you are getting relic, you get HQs. And it isn't an impossible HQ, I got it on my 20th or so try, and it's not that expensive to make, compared to some things one might want.
    Being Taru means you wont reach any STR vs MobVIT "cap".But you would definitely see more of an increase with more STR modifiers in balance. I would Merit STR regardless, since Cure V MND caps out,or hits a soft cap. And STR goes well with everything else, so its your best bet.

About the multi-hit thing, I forget, I think its the same rule if you were /nonNINorWAR with a Brutal.

And regardless, STR is STR. The more important topic would be what you TP in on X mobs. Like every /NIN, Haste->ACC->ATK on low evasive mobs with sushi, ACC -> Haste -> ATK on high evasive mobs with meat.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I concur, makes me wonder, Izzy what is your base STR? I base most of my gear off my own base as a Hume, and I imagine that even with RSE2 feet it's a ways away. And your MND too, since that is important!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

well. assuming you're somewhere in the middle of the fstr() formula calculations (a reasonable assumption). it is approximately 4-6 STR per +1 DMG value.

we'll approximate this out as 4, 5, and 6. just to be thorough

4 str = +1 fstr() can be approximated as 25% str
    5 str = +1 fstr() can be approximated as 20% str
    6 str = +1 fstr() can be approximated as 17% str

so we can add these together with the other mod (since it's a linear term) and get a 'total' modification value.*

in the case of 40STR 40MND this is: 65% str, 60% str, and 57% str.

so, ignoring the effect of STR on pdif† for the moment, .65 * x = .4 * y ->

1.625 MND :: 1 STR (6.5 MND ~= 4 STR) [when adding gear]

so, you would want at least 7 mind for every 4 strength. (in this case, I'd take the cap+1 and the briault over the strength alternatives, ignoring accuracy, although this is all presupposing that you have a net positive FSTR). based on all this, I'd even hazard that the Marduk shoes are better than the rse feet (10 vs 4)

* this is for change interval purposes only, obviously the fstr() calculation is more complex because it crosses the y-axis at the origin: STR = VIT; but locally we can approximate it as 'all positive'.

† 1str is an average of ~.001 PDIF on a mob that has 300 defense.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thats at a controlled variable. Now add debuffs (assuming a member does his job) and compare Voyager/Whatever I said with the MND gear. It SHOULD parse higher, right. Oh yeah, the random 2.5x damage should be funny to see.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'm doing some math with someone in my LS now, and I can't cap fSTR. I'd need +48~ to cap fSTR. With merits it would be +40~. The weapon's damage is so high, that the fSTR cap is way the fuck up there.

Base STR is 59, merited it's 67 i think? I can currently get +36 or +39.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

+1 per upgrade.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'm thinking you might be right about the STR. It helps with fSTR AND it's a 40% mod on top of that. I pretty much can't go wrong with it haha. (unless i have marduk haha).
    i love you suji Q_Q-b

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

debuffs won't matter - at least not in the range that I was running calculations for.

I *Assumed* that things were in the mid range (i.e. not capped for you, and not capped for the mob either) which is the range pretty much everything falls into in the sort of situations a whm could and should be meleeing.

even if you could somehow half the defense of the mob: the pdif bonus from 1 str is still only going to be ~.003, and fstr is more or less the same as +25% STR above the midway point (for the purposes of comparing gear).

if you can get both, you should and compare
    but I'm honestly expecting several of the mind pieces to win given how easy it is for whm to push 7+ mind in a slot, versus how difficult it is for whm to push more than 4 strength in a slot.