BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

SE officially responds on Vista.

Support for Microsoft® Windows Vista™

We are currently running performance validation of our software with Microsoft® Windows Vista™, soon to be released by Microsoft Corporation, using the final release candidate Windows Vista RC2. As of January 2007, we have confirmed that the PlayOnline Viewer and content on PlayOnline fails to function due to the problems listed below.

We are still working with Microsoft Corporation to solve these problems, but since performance validation takes time, we anticipate our support of Microsoft® Windows Vista™ to start after the official version goes on sale.

To our customers who plan on upgrading Microsoft® Windows Vista™ we apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely ask for your understanding.

[ Software Affected ]
    PlayOnline Viewer
    Content supported by PlayOnline (FINAL FANTASY XI)

The install menu doesn’t activate.
    Even when the install disk is present in the disk drive, the application named “Install Menu” to select which program to install does not start. Instead, the PlayOnline Viewer installation begins.

The PlayOnline Viewer doesn’t start.
    Sometimes, after installing the PlayOnline Viewer, the application fails to launch, and the message “PlayOnline Viewer cannot run under current operating system” appears.

Since the PlayOnline Viewer does not launch, FINAL FANTASY XI becomes unplayable.
    Even when the PlayOnline Viewer does launch, we cannot guarantee its further operation.

Similar problems occur once PCs that we have previously confirmed are upgraded to Microsoft® Windows Vista™
    http://www.playonline.com/homeus/headline/news01.html

If I don't have to buy the DVD version of FFXI to run this badboy on Vista, that would be a great plus. ^.^b.

-V

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

already been posted.

though I'm amazed that FFXI PC's programming is so shoddy it actually broke under Vista.

EDIT: ok ok I made this post before googling 'vista incompatible'. I had no idea so many programs refused to work. sorry, I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    already been posted.

though I'm amazed that FFXI PC's programming is so shoddy it actually broke under Vista.

Mifaco has no clue what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    Failure at understanding how computer software works.

I'm a little curious whether disabling ASLR systemwide in Vista will allow FFXI to run.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Um, not needed Divis...it runs on Vista just fine, I'm running enterprise with it right now. The only "catch" is that when you do install it, you need to copy over a fully patched POL install on top of the fresh install. They patched something along the way that allows it to work under Vista fine, that the original install did not have.

Windower is working fine for me as well. I did have issues running your original parser release on it once I moved, though I haven't tried your latest release to see if it was fixed yet.

If it's a 64-bit processor and 64-bit vista, then that problem was fixed.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

64-bit processor + 32-bit mode...I didn't bother installing the 64-bit, tried it with WinXP 64-bit a few months back and I wasn't impressed enough to go through the hassle of finding all the 64-bit Vista drivers this time around.

I'll try and test it out over the weekend, and post in your forums if I have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by draxyl
    64-bit processor + 32-bit mode...I didn't bother installing the 64-bit, tried it with WinXP 64-bit a few months back and I wasn't impressed enough to go through the hassle of finding all the 64-bit Vista drivers this time around.

I'll try and test it out over the weekend, and post in your forums if I have any issues.
    64 bit vista way faster then 32bit vista IMO. Maybe not for games but general windows functions I see a big difference. Driver support blows though for graphics at the moment.

The last parser version worked for me on both 32bit, and 64bit vista.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

How come people say you can only install FFXI on Vista if you have the DVD copy of the game? Is there something that prevents the CDs from working?

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi
    How come people say you can only install FFXI on Vista if you have the DVD copy of the game? Is there something that prevents the CDs from working?
    Not the CDs, just the version of POL.

You need POL off the DVD I believe.

they should realy make a Linux port ...

only reason I'm still using Windows is FFXI >_>

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeal

64 bit vista way faster then 32bit vista IMO. Maybe not for games but general windows functions I see a big difference. Driver support blows though for graphics at the moment.

It's faster if you have enough ram. 64bit handles memory a lot different than the 32bit so if you have say, only 1gb of ram, you're going to see a slow down when running multiple stuff.

32bit vista is more than enough for anyone ATM and caps at I believe 4gb of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeal

It's faster if you have enough ram. 64bit handles memory a lot different than the 32bit so if you have say, only 1gb of ram, you're going to see a slow down when running multiple stuff.

32bit vista is more than enough for anyone ATM and caps at I believe 4gb of ram.
    I'm running 4 GB ddr2 atm, but i can very well see the difference. Not so much in game, just normal windows functions.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

If they made a linux version, couldn't people install that to their ps3s through linux?

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Ploid
    If they made a linux version, couldn't people install that to their ps3s through linux?
    The architecture of the PS3 blocks Linux access to the RSX graphics engine. Honestly, I don't see Sony ever backing down on that, or Square wanting to spend the effort on this game...