+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Poor Giant German Bunnies = Food For North Korea

Wish these poor bunnies didn't have to be stew for Kim Jong-il...
    http://home.insightbb.com/~bethany-s...8f1444de0d.jpg
    An east German pensioner who breeds rabbits the size of dogs has been asked by North Korea to help set up a big bunny farm to alleviate food shortages in the communist country. Now journalists and rabbit gourmets from around the world are thumping at his door.

It all started when Karl Szmolinsky won a prize for breeding Germany's largest rabbit, a friendly-looking 10.5 kilogram "German Gray Giant" called Robert, in February 2006.

Images of the chubby monster went around the world and reached the reclusive communist state of North Korea, a country of 23 million which according to the United Nations Food Programme suffers widespread food shortages and where many people "struggle to feed themselves on a diet critically deficient in protein, fats and micronutrients."

Szmolinsky, 67, from the eastern town of Eberswalde near Berlin, recalls how the North Korean embassy approached his regional breeding federation and enquired whether it might be willing to sell some rabbits to set up a breeding farm in North Korea. He was the natural choice for the job.

Each of his rabbits produces around seven kilograms of meat, says Szmolinsky, who was so keen to help alleviate hunger in the impoverished country that he made the North Koreans a special price -- €80 per rabbit instead of the usual €200 to €250.

"They'll be used to help feed the population," Szmolinsky told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "I've sent them 12 rabbits so far, they're in a petting zoo for now. I'll be travelling to North Korea in April to advise them on how to set up a breeding farm. A delegation was here and I've already given them a book of tips."

Szmolinsky knows what he's talking about. He has been breeding rabbits for 47 years. The 12 bunnies he sent can produce 60 babies a year -- if the North Koreans find enough food to feed them properly. "I feed them everything -- grain, carrots, a lot of vegetables. At the moment they're getting kale," said Szmolinsky.

"One rabbit provides a filling meal for eight people. There are a variety of recipes such as rabbit leg or rabbit roulade. No one buys rabbit fur anymore though, I just throw that in the bin," says Szmolinsky with chilling dispassion.

He breeds between 60 and 80 rabbits per year and manages to stay emotionally detached enough to send the furry, innocent-looking, huge-eared creatures to slaughter. Asked if he has any pet bunnies he could never part with, he said: "You can't hang on to them, if you did you wouldn't be able to breed them."

Szmolinsky's North Korean connection has attracted media attention from around the world, and he seems to be getting tired of it. "I'm getting ambushed by camera crews," he said, adding that he was booked up with interview appointments for days. "There's a Japanese crew flying in from Paris later."

Potential Chinese buyers have also expressed an interest. Szmolinsky doesn't know how many more rabbits he will be sending to North Korea and said he definitely wouldn't be increasing his own production to satisfy growing demand from Asia.

"I'm not increasing production and I'm not taking any more orders after this. They cost a lot to feed," he said.
    Link to source

the bunnies....

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Eh rabbit isn't that "Eww" as food like dog and cat are, because they've been used as food in almost every continent before.

Once when I was overseas on holidays I thought I was walking into a pet store when I saw a bunch of fluffy white bunnies in a cage, my friend told me to look at the chickens in the next cage, and look at what the man is doing behind the counter :\

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Eh rabbit isn't that "Eww" as food like dog and cat are, because they've been used as food in almost every continent before.

Once when I was overseas on holidays I thought I was walking into a pet store when I saw a bunch of fluffy white bunnies in a cage, my friend told me to look at the chickens in the next cage, and look at what the man is doing behind the counter :\
    Rabbits (Hare) & Game are normal food over here in UK... Hell not long ago did I have a Rabbit Meat Curry.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

Rabbits (Hare) & Game are normal food over here in UK... Hell not long ago did I have a Rabbit Meat Curry.
    I know Rabbits are a food source to certain groups of people around the world. Even though I am a vegetarian I know that is my personal choice, and I accept not everyone feels the same way. I guess I just have compassion for the Rabbits, & all animals in general.

Is it bad that I looked at the bunny and saw tasty pie goodness?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

I wonder how long they live...

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Rabbit is yummy...

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

OMG WHY is that bunny so HUUUUGE

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    For good eatin'!

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Rabbits are a fantastic food source, especially where food is scarce otherwise. They're easy to catch and they're rich in everything your body needs, except fat. I think that if the giant bunny farm will actually feed people and not the upper class in NK it will be a fantastic endeavour and a step in the right direction. Now if only they'd stop spending millions on their "civilian nuclear power plants" (ever look at nighttime satellite photos of NK?) and use it to feed their people, well, that'd be even better.

the food value of grazing animals is lower than the value of crops which take the same acreage to produce.
    of course rabbits can eat grass and other stuff which is not edible for humans, but they will prob. not grow that large on grass alone.

and rabbits aren't cute cuddly creatures, as most australians will testify :X

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    For good eatin'!
    They feed those things bolvine growth hormone? It's teh HUEG!!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

i dont like eatting rodents. mr bunny's so f*cking cute

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Man I am getting a bunny soon I think, but I'd rather have one of those HUUUUUUUGE ones so it's more like a doggy!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

Quote Originally Posted by mikazuki
    Rabbit VS Snake

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch
    Rabbit VS Snake
    Not what I was expecting.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch
    Rabbit VS Snake
    OMG that's fucking awesome!!!

Old Merits
    BG Level

Video was cool, but the redneck killed it for me "Gaw-lee, it ch'sed it up da tree"

Also, Look at the guy's Hand and Watch. It's a forced camera perspective. It might be a big bunny, but it's Definatly angled to make it look a LOT bigger than it is.

The rabbits would be a great food source, they breed like... Rabbits.

I know cows are 100 times the size in comparison.

but how many cattle have 60 calfs a year?

The potential is there for the Rabbits to help.