BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New PC Advice     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Is AMD done? No. Is there ANY reason to buy an Athlon over a Core 2 right now? No.
    But yeah, I honestly don't have anything personal against AMD, but when I'm recomending (or getting one myself) a PC for someone, I will be recomending parts that are the best. Currently for processors it's Intel, but in near future it might be AMD.
    qft

Really, do your research and buy what's best at the time. I'm running an Opteron 170, I like it, but I wouldn't build an AMD system today.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

soooo weird

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    RAM: 1GB Crucial DDR
    Video: ATI 9600XT
    MB: Asus A7N8X-E
    HDD: 80GB WD 7200RPM

this honest to god runs my FFXI at 30FPS all the time. Dynams runs at 20fps, not so bad, and whitegate sometimes hits 20fps in front of AH or MH.

I wonder why mine runs so well with such outdated stuff

Thought some of you might like to know they just OK'd Pci-Express 2. No ETA as to when it's coming out.

Linky - http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... X1K0000532

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDonkey
    You guys just like to hate on AMD, get over yourself. Athlon 64 X2 = Core 2 duo amd style, oh yea its 64 bit too.
    No, it isn't. Not at all.

I'm an intel fanboy and I knew AMD used to own intel in every respect (except no one makes a decent AMD mobo anymore). And now AMD fanboys even know they are behind in the race now. Don't mislead people just b/c you have sand in your vag, Intel is currently far and away the best choice.

Might (probably will) reverse next year, but this model year it's no contest.

at the momment, the C2D is THE way to go. Even the low range CPUs are great, many love the E6600. And if you're willing to, you can easily overclock these CPUs. It's rediculous how easy you can with an air cooled computer, and a good heatsink. (Zalman 9700)

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDonkey
    You guys just like to hate on AMD, get over yourself. Athlon 64 X2 = Core 2 duo amd style, oh yea its 64 bit too.
    What is a 64-bit system gonna do for you?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    soooo weird

this honest to god runs my FFXI at 30FPS all the time. Dynams runs at 20fps, not so bad, and whitegate sometimes hits 20fps in front of AH or MH.

What kind of settings do you use? Texture resolution and shadows seem to make the biggest difference.

PS: Your system isn't "awesome." Mine is better. If only you could run source at high quality ;p [/insidejoke]

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Intel's dual cores currently way outperform AMD's right now and are a much greater value.

My advice would be to make sure your mobo has all up to date slots and sockets. Make sure it has at least one PCI-E x16, support for DDR2 RAM, and a 775 socket if you're going Intel, which is a no brainer at this point. E6400 to E6600 Intel CPUs are the best bang for your buck and will last you a good while. Though, even the lowest end Core 2 Duo is powerful enough to handle FFXI without any stress.

Contrary to what others have said, I'd recommend waiting for Vista's release before buying a new PC. I'd also consider waiting until the 2nd generation DX10 cards are out or when you can grab one for around $250.

Edit: The Core 2 Duos also support 64-bit computing so AMD has nothing on them.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by GSDragoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    soooo weird

What kind of settings do you use? Texture resolution and shadows seem to make the biggest difference.

PS: Your system isn't "awesome." Mine is better. If only you could run source at high quality ;p [/insidejoke]
    MIP Mapping: off
    Resolution: 1280x1024
    BG Resolution: 1024x1024
    Texture Compression: low
    On-Screen Maps: uncompressed
    Bump mapping: off
    Environmental Animation: normal

P.S. source blows donkeyballs, everyone knows it! go get 1.6 and we can play a good, not crappy game, before dynamis.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Cheap C2D, quality motherboard, and quality ram. X1950Pro is a fine video card as well, and any X1600+ model should be more than enough. My old machine had an nvidia 6600 with major lag issues during bard songs. Oddly enough my mac pro with a 7300gt never had any lag during songs.

Keep away from G80 chips since there are some serious issues with them and ffxi. I do play ffxi with my 8800gtx but I can't read buttons and I have to use the JP windower. At least WoW and DoD:S work great.