+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Teen put on probation for stealing wireless to play games...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070116/ap_ ... _charges_1
    SINGAPORE - A Singaporean teenager who illegally tapped into a neighbor's wireless Internet network — an offense the city-state deems punishable by jail — was placed on 18 months' probation by a district court Tuesday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The court also ordered Garyl Tan Jia Luo, 17, to carry out 80 hours of community service after he admitted linking his computer to his neighbor's wireless router to access the Internet without permission.

Tan could have been jailed up to three years and fined 10,000 Singapore dollars (US$6,500).

Senior District Judge Bala Reddy cited a probation report as saying Tan had been addicted to Internet gaming at the time of the offense, adding the teenager had "few friends, if not none."

Reddy said Tan should seek "disciplined and structured psychiatric and psychological intervention" to cure his addiction.

Tan is the first Singaporean to have been prosecuted and convicted for tapping illegally into a wireless Internet network, an offense under the Computer Misuse Act, according to Tan's lawyer, Sam Koh.

A second Singaporean is currently facing 60 charges of illegally accessing wireless Internet networks.
    Wonder if they'd ever be able to get away with making a law like that in the U.S...I would guess not without raising user awareness or setting regulations on home configured wireless networks, but I really can't see that ever happening any time soon...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How did they even know he was tapping?

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Moreover, if the wireless network was unsecured, is using the network considered tapping into it "illegally"?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That, too... but seriously, unless the dude's speed got insanely low because the guy was tapping and giving that same hotspot information to other people, how would he even know that his connection is being used?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by bigfreakinlion
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Moreover, if the wireless network was unsecured, is using the network considered tapping into it "illegally"?
    I'm surprised it's illegal at all...

I actually noticed my network speed degraded a couple months ago, so I checked into who was accessing my network. I left it unsecured because (previously) i didn't care, but I had 3 people on fulltime connections using my signal. I went ahead and locked it down at that point, but I wasn't pissed at the people or anything

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Simple as going into your wireless router or hotspots system and checking the IP address log! If none of his computers match to one address then it could be anyone in the range of the router so it could have been 1 of 2 neighbors or both but an appartment would be a little more complex to figure out.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have a password on mine, but even though it's locked there are ways to bypass even that.

As long as my speed doesn't start decreasing like mad, i'm not even gonna bother. We have 3 laptops and 2 more desktops all using that connection anyways, so it's a real hassle to go about changing passwords frequently because you have to put those passwords on all of 5 computers.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    Simple as going into your wireless router or hotspots system and checking the IP address log! If none of his computers match to one address then it could be anyone in the range of the router so it could have been 1 of 2 neighbors or both but an appartment would be a little more complex to figure out.
    how i do this lol

STOP STEALING INTERNETS.... they must be won

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Syn, is this article about you?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Ha, I am on my nieghbors internet atm. I just use it to look up stuff while I am playing FFXI. Cause I only have one line to hook into my PS2.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Actually, I believe parts of the US (At the very least) have similar laws about leeching off wireless connections.

And before anyone says "NO WAI! STUPID LAW!", consider some of the laws on the books in America. Example - Alabama, where evidently you can be labelled a sex offender for obscene bumper stickers.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Actually, if you pirate media in any form its to your benefit to keep your wireless router open...or the appearances of it being open (for instance, lock it down via MAC addresses and not a password). Word on the street is if the RIAA/MPAA comes knocking, this can be your one get out of jail free card...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    I pay $80 a month for the Internet remember?

Now everyone knows what kinda fucked up place I'm from.

He's not the only one, there was a 2nd person who got caught too. I'd say this is fucking retarded but I have my own connection so it doesn't affect me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

most punishments in singgapo don't fit the crime, most are way too strigent.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by finale23
    most punishments in singgapo don't fit the crime, most are way too strigent.
    It isn't considered statutory rape as long as the girl is 14 and above.

Best law ever.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Hmmmm guess i'll be going to jail soon then

Quote Originally Posted by Syn
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    I pay $80 a month for the Internet remember?

Now everyone knows what kinda fucked up place I'm from.

He's not the only one, there was a 2nd person who got caught too. I'd say this is fucking retarded but I have my own connection so it doesn't affect me.
    I was gonna say... consider the source of this...

Singapore has some pretty fucked up laws.

I'm unable to find a reference, mostly due to laziness but there was some other weird fucking shit thats punishable by jail there too.

I'm actively stealing wireless right now because I don't have the money to afford internet. I don't usually download a shit ton until it's like 2 in the morning so no one knows the difference.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I checked on a friend's computer that was complaining of slow internet a few years ago... turns out 6 people nearby in his apt complex were using his wireless. I had found a modified Magistr virus around the same time... it did nothing to the system except make the icons run round on you. I uploaded that to the idiots that weren't secured, then booted them off the network and secured it for him.