Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Hauteclaire and Aegis?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kilik
    Which works better, magic defense bonus or -% magic dmg taken? And is there a cap on either like there is for -%phys dmg taken?

I was building in a macro set of -% magic dmg taken for my PLD. A bonecrafter in my LS was synthing the HQ merman/coral stuff for me. I think it came out to like -31% magic dmg taken and 4 or 6 magic defense bonus.
    Magic Def. Bonus ultimately converts into a % of magic dmg reduction I believe...I Have never been interested in the exact numbers myself...but I do know that using HQ lamia mantles resulted in not even 10 points of damage reduction on Tiamat in the air....so I would say - magic damage % is better

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

did pld/nin for jlo and with a VERY minimal macro set for -% magic damage it was pretty effective. I think I had resentment cape, merman earring (1), and merman rings, palmarin shield (2% damage down) and NQ lamia kaman macro'd for swapping. This was just what i could pluck off the auction house last minute for the most part.

If I were a full time tank I'd probably invest in better gear and get the percentages higher but I think on average I was still taking 100-200 damage less per -ga3. If enmity doesn't suffer and you can remember to keep switching back and forth between casts its nothing to laugh at.

I would also agree that -% is probably more effective than +mdb, but for slots like ranged where there isn't much else, its nice to stack it in where you can.

-Draxy

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Wow thread explosion. I tried reading it all inbetween compiling but please excuse me if I somehow missed something.

I spent alot of time with Winraf comparing Kaiser vs Aegis. We had nearly exact gear with over 300 shield skill and I still found that the Aegis was shield procing more and of course reducing dmg more. I think it is pretty badass and worth the effort.

Back then we did the whole PLD/WAR & WAR/WHM. And thru our tests, it seems that once you hit the Magic Dmg Reduction Cap, you can continue to reduce dmg using Magic Defense Bonus gear. Both Winraf and I were lucky & blessed enough to have Defending Rings which really helps push us towards that cap.

Now days, I still go PLD/WAR to most events I can make though our other tanks go PLD/NIN. So for me I think I would eventually in some far distant time try for an Aegis. BUT I can definitly see the point of using a Koenig/Kaiser Shield for PLD/NIN.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

lol there is an aeribeth on fairy server with pld and nin leveled (and i think some other jobs)

i wont go into what kinda person they are or their skill in said jobs.. but jus thought that was interesting =>

(btw you dont happen to spontaneously spaz out do you? >_> )

Quote Originally Posted by safer
    lol there is an aeribeth on fairy server with pld and nin leveled (and i think some other jobs)

i wont go into what kinda person they are or their skill in said jobs.. but jus thought that was interesting =>

(btw you dont happen to spontaneously spaz out do you? >_> )
    I lol'd irl

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It's been my understanding that -Damage Taken gears doesn't stack in the 20+10+5= 35%, but that the games checks the highest first.

Example getting hit for 100 would work like this:

100 - 20% = 80
    80 - 10% = 72
    72 - 5% = 69

Instead of 100 - 35% = 65

Might be nitpicking but this is my understanding of how the game checks it, anyone tested this or have any insight?

Its not multiplicative, it stacks but its calculated in fractions of 1/256.

http://bluegartr.com/forum/viewtopic...reduction+gear

An RDM on KI did extensive tests with damage reduction equipment vs. the constant damage of 1000 needles from cactuars.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sidanoir
    Magic Def. Bonus ultimately converts into a % of magic dmg reduction I believe...
    Except "-% magic damage" reduces damage by the same percentage regardless of how much damage is being done. MDB reduces damage by a varying percentage, dependant on how much damage is done.

e.g. MDB might cut off 10% of a 100 damage magic attack, but only 1% of a 1000 damage attack. Whereas "-% magic damage" will reduce damage by the same percentage in both cases.

At least, that's the impression I get.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Good to know, thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidanoir
    Magic Def. Bonus ultimately converts into a % of magic dmg reduction I believe...
    Except "-% magic damage" reduces damage by the same percentage regardless of how much damage is being done. MDB reduces damage by a varying percentage, dependant on how much damage is done.

e.g. MDB might cut off 10% of a 100 damage magic attack, but only 1% of a 1000 damage attack. Whereas "-% magic damage" will reduce damage by the same percentage in both cases.

At least, that's the impression I get.
    No, MDB and -%mdmg calculates like this

X * (MAB/MDB) * (1-mdmg)

Therefore:
    1) stacking MDB suffers diminishing returns
    2) stacking -%mdmg gives accelerating returns

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Krandor, just curious as to what earring set you use as PLD/NIN.
    Late but hey.

Ethereal/Loq.

Quote Originally Posted by Furionstormrage
    It's been my understanding that -Damage Taken gears doesn't stack in the 20+10+5= 35%, but that the games checks the highest first.

100 - 20% = 80
    80 - 10% = 72
    72 - 5% = 69

Might be nitpicking but this is my understanding of how the game checks it, anyone tested this or have any insight?
    I would agree with that, from what I've tested with full Dark steel HQ - % damage reduction gear. Not using phalanx of course, since it could possibly misconstrue the values

Quote Originally Posted by Nikopiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Furionstormrage

100 - 20% = 80
    80 - 10% = 72
    72 - 5% = 69

I would agree with that, from what I've tested with full Dark steel HQ - % damage reduction gear. Not using phalanx of course, since it could possibly misconstrue the values
    Unfortunately it's incorrect.

Xavier

That emoticon has come to represent every post of yours aurik, rofl, and I love it.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

^ lol

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Awesome thread, rate up! owaitwrongboardorz

*soon to be 75 PLD and was wondering about that kinda stuff*

It's from what i've seen, i mean, 4-5 damage here and there really make it difficult to tell, when you're modding that kinda damage midigation from IT's, of course, not perfect. But i agreed with him.

you don't happen to have any way you tell do you? i'd like to get some way to show how the damage gets reduced out, if not by

100 - 20% = 80
    80 - 10% = 72
    72 - 5% = 69

then it being one lump sum, have you done anything to see that? it be cool to compare, i'm super curious, thx for any help you have

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In before the Aurik

Quote Originally Posted by Nikopiko
    It's from what i've seen, i mean, 4-5 damage here and there really make it difficult to tell, when you're modding that kinda damage midigation from IT's, of course, not perfect. But i agreed with him.

you don't happen to have any way you tell do you? i'd like to get some way to show how the damage gets reduced out, if not by

100 - 20% = 80
    80 - 10% = 72
    72 - 5% = 69

then it being one lump sum, have you done anything to see that? it be cool to compare, i'm super curious, thx for any help you have

Read the linked thread in its entirety, and for good measure read the KI thread it references as well.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vann Zirk
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I started skimming over that linked BG thread, then saw Genome's avatar, and was like "ooooooooh boy"