Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Can the FFXI game be played on Intel® Media Accelerator 950

Hi Im looking around for a new notebook.

so i like to find out if the game can be played on a notebook with Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics.

Does anyone own a notebook with Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics and tried installing/playing the game ?

Let me know. Thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

it probably can
    but don't expect decent performance/quality

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

try the benchmarks

I do, 1.6ghz core duo laptop with 1gb ram and that Intel 950. It's okay. Not horrible to the point where I need to run it at lego resolution, but not great either. Lots of people in an area will make it chug pretty hard.

Be aware that the integrated card will draw memory away from your main RAM to power it, up to like 256mb I think. So if you do decide to try this make sure the laptop you get has 1gb at least. It also runs really hot when it's on and sucks up a ton of power, so your battery is going to go kaput in like an hour or less

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Uggh... not even one gig. Spend the 99 bucks more for the ATI or nVidia option... it's better than a bigger screen.

Seriously.

And also consider getting a lapdesk for playing... letting your laptop rest on your legs for long periods of time WILL result in burning.

While you're at it... get accident protection (Complete Care, whatever...)... nothing like paying 800 for a repair when paying 100 initially would have covered it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

biggest thing is make sure the video card has hardware TnL

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It runs. But you need to play in a low screen resolution, and remove most of the graphic details (in-game config) if you want to play with a "decent" frame-rate. And don't even consider Dragon's Aery or Dynamis...I did Dynamis on my job's laptop, and it ended up smelling like burnt tire. Got a new one with better graphic capabilities though ^^v

One thing I noticed with that laptop, is it ran the game a little bit faster when in full-screen mode (aka not using windower).

Looking at the spec, it's nothing to write home about. Find an extra couple hundred bucks and buy something better I'd say.

The main problem I've found with Intel graphics, is that you won't be able to run windower. Something with Intel chips and windower just doesn't agree, so unless you didn't plan on using windower(unlikely) I'd look for something better.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaire
    The main problem I've found with Intel graphics, is that you won't be able to run windower. Something with Intel chips and windower just doesn't agree, so unless you didn't plan on using windower(unlikely) I'd look for something better.
    Like I said in my post above, it worked ok for me, just a bit slower than the full-screen mode. Actually it worked on 2 different Intel Graphices based laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Like I said in my post above, it worked ok for me, just a bit slower than the full-screen mode. Actually it worked on 2 different Intel Graphices based laptops.
    Make sure your next Togi-1 is for me kthx

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Make sure your next Togi-1 is for me kthx
    Derail !
    Just realized you were from Lakshmi, and I think I dinged RNG75 in a party with you a few months ago...just too bad you're the 87565th person to ask me for the next HQ Togi :/

Well technically my 1st HQ Togi may be for sale, ask Fahna if you're interested.