Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problematic Zones     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Problematic Zones

Ever since I installed FFXI, there have been several zones or actions that completely freeze on me. Whenever I enter said zones, my computer lags to a less than .1fps rate, lasts about 10 minutes without loading anything, and gives me a timeout message (still lagging when I attempt to press ok). While this is going on, I can still hear the music of the area, but the area itself is not there. These instances are when i enter Ru'Aun Gardens, Arrapago Reef, and anywhere the cutscene music from BLU Flag in Aydeewa plays.

However, I found that I am able to enter said areas if and only if I log completely out of FFXI and turn off my sound card completely. This suggests to me that the problem is Sound card related, but I installed a new one, a Creative SB Audigy 2, and the problem still persists. The game freezes regardless if I have windower up or not, and started before I installed windower as well. Does anyone have any idea what the exact problem is, and how to solve it?

Griselda

Turning off my anti-virus software eliminated those same issues you have. I noticed it in sky and the reef and while turning off sound (and even changing the music .dat files for the zones) allowed me to run around without lag, I did find some lag while switching through macros. Anyway, try playing around with your anti-virus software - it pretty much "eliminated" the problem for me.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can't be as bad as the glitch I reported in Carpenter's Landing. If you're a SMN and zone into that place with Carbuncle out, the pet menu just vanishes and you're unable to do anything with him unless you re-zone out, release, zone back in to Carpenter's Landing and then summon Carbuncle.

~S N K

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Griselda
    Turning off my anti-virus software eliminated those same issues you have. I noticed it in sky and the reef and while turning off sound (and even changing the music .dat files for the zones) allowed me to run around without lag, I did find some lag while switching through macros. Anyway, try playing around with your anti-virus software - it pretty much "eliminated" the problem for me.
    Yes, certain AV scan engines (the one used in ZoneAlarm AV at least) will spike to 100% CPU usage for some reason when entering certain areas.

It *is* sound related to a point, as if you disable sound it should go away (or as Griselda said, get rid of the music files). However, you could also swap AV programs or just disable them when playing FFXI.
    Has nothing to do with the actual card used though, I've had the issue with two different soundcards and motherboard sound.

I've run into this problem as well, but it's not really an issue now for my since I went back to Symantec AV (Corporate Edition free from work), after having used Zonealarm's for a bit.

ZA is a garbage firewall, I'm totally unsurprised to hear it's a garbage AV too.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Thank you very much, I'll try temporarily shutting off my firewall next time I enter one of those areas.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

meh...get a router, spybot, firefox and never download from risky places (.exe from p2p, irc, free-host websites, etc.) and you don't have to bother with antivirus or firewall. =/

Quote Originally Posted by banhero
    meh...get a router, spybot, firefox and never download from risky places (.exe from p2p, irc, free-host websites, etc.) and you don't have to bother with antivirus or firewall. =/
    lol........ should always use antivirus.. can just turn it off for FFXI.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

if you have a bloated piece of shit av program uninstall it and go get avg free

The .dat files can be corrupted if you get a lot of BSOD's(blue screen of death). I know this happened to me a long while back while leveling a job in Qufim with a faulty RAM chip which I had become to lazy to replace. Eventually, when zoning into Qufim my FFXI app would disappear to my desktop. Different symptoms, but similar roots. The difference in symptoms could be due to the difference in hardware and how the computer is setup to handle such issues.

A simple(lol) re-install after replacing the hardware solved those issues. Just an option to look into if the AV tip doesn't pan out.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I was so mad when I talked to S-E support and their "fix" for this was disabling the sound driver. That didn't sound like much of a fix to me.

The part about the AV is interesting though. I know I had this problem once upon a time and it went away when I reformated and reinstalled. Several months later the problem came back. At some point in there I had reinstalled my AV. I'm going to play with this next time I log in.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It could be corrupted sound files. If the anti-virus thing doesn't pan out, try reinstalling. (Yeah it's a pain.)

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I had this problem last year. I tried EVERYTHING but was unable to enter Sky with my PC. I changed routers, I took the router out of the equation, I ran the game windowed, I ran it fullscreen, changed every video setting, tried tons of different video drivers and still the same.

Finally I just gave up and did all my Sky runs on PS2 until I got a new computer built. I installed the game and ran all the updates (no copying old ROM folders) and made my way promptly to the sky where I was once again denied. So after 6-8 jabs and uppercuts to the air and a lot of "wtf"'s... for shits and giggles I bought the DVD version of the game that had just been released and BAMM everything worked fine. I have talked to other people with the same problem... seems SE in all its GLORY and top-notch quality standards literally shipped corrupt copies of the game. Toss your CD-Roms out the window and drop $20 on the DVD.

Odds are it will fix the problem and if not... you have a free 30day mule you can POS all over and you're only out $20. (Just remember to use a different credit lolcredit card)

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Uninstallling Anti-virus fixed this for me btw.

shouldn't have to uninstall/diable AV programs completely. Try listing FFXI (and windower if you use it) as a "Trusted Program." The terminology may be different, but most AV programs have a setting where they don't check specific programs anymore. See if that fixes your issue.