Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Provoke miss?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Provoke miss?

Has anyone ever experienced a provoke 'missing' per say? For instance just a few minutes ago in a low level party our ranger pulled a mob (he didn't do anything stupid like barrage pull or anything) and I voke and it did absolutely nothing.

Here's a screenshot:
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/ ... udvoke.jpg

Assuming the ranger DID do something stupid, hate should have been stuck on him and not bouncing between everyone in the party. (unfortunately I didn't have dmg taken by party turn on to illustrate this)

It's somewhat related to this thread regarding distance/enmity, but I don't think it's possible to get voke off and be out of 'hate range' http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewto ... ht=provoke

This isn't the first time I've noticed this either, although it is a very rare occurance. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this sometimes happening as well.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

I have had this happen as well, but very rarely.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's been a century since I've intentionally provoked something, but while leveling Ninja to 37, I occasionally got instances where I would provoke a Mandragora, it would knock two shadows off, and forget about me and the rest of the fight I'd be struggling to get hate back.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel
    I have had this happen as well, but very rarely.
    Same here, when it usually happens to me, it's because Provoke and something else hit the mob at about the same time for the first action, but the other spell/ja/whatever hit first. Provoke basically did nothing and the mobs would go to the other person, despite the fact the person Provoking would usually have a lot more enmity. But for every time it happens, there's tons more where it doesn't under the same conditions. I just attribute it to a glitch when it happens and go on my merry way.

I've seen it too when farming. Sometimes there is an explination like my partner scored a bunch of quick crits or sometime but sometimes yeah, voke just doesn't seem to work and he tanks.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It was a ninja NIN nerf because their only instant gain hate tool is Provoke.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Everlasting
    I've seen it too when farming. Sometimes there is an explination like my partner scored a bunch of quick crits or sometime but sometimes yeah, voke just doesn't seem to work and he tanks.
    I had the same kind of glitch, where I would provoke a mob, name would become red, but the mob would continue roamming around without attacking me, till I hit it.

I've had it happen before, but mostly when fighting in or around water. Some mobs have a nasty tendency to lose the tank's scent in water, making them do funny things. Everyone's seen it in Boyahda, but I've seen it in the Dunes and Teriggan, too. Obviously not here, though, but mandies are weird anyway.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I've gotten it on PLD before. Puller would grab a mob, I'd voke it, and it would totally ignore me. No one else did anything major hate-wise before I voked either. I think it's either a glitch, or some kinda situation where provoke "busts" (like COR rolls), and small/no hate is gained from it.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Everlasting
    I had the same kind of glitch, where I would provoke a mob, name would become red, but the mob would continue roamming around without attacking me, till I hit it.
    Someone mentioned that exact thing about a Dyna-Xarc run when pulling an eye (ranged not voke tho).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I haven't had it happen with provoke, but I've evaded protect 2 and ballad before. Really annoying >.<

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hollaback
    I've gotten it on PLD before. Puller would grab a mob, I'd voke it, and it would totally ignore me. No one else did anything major hate-wise before I voked either. I think it's either a glitch, or some kinda situation where provoke "busts" (like COR rolls), and small/no hate is gained from it.
    The screenshot I posted was me leveling low level PLD just for reference. I've noticed it while leveling ninja too but yeah.

Maybe voke has an abnormal chance to 'resist' or something, since many mob TP moves can be resisted somewhat, theoretically provoke could get resisted also.
    That also could have made it easier for SE to implement Provoke in Ballista at that time, because they just adjusted the resist-rate and thus made Provoke be able to 'miss' especially if it's from a /WAR

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

most times i've seen that happen there's a difference in altitudes. like the person voking is up higher on something and the mob is below them and the tank moves a little, giving it a similar effect to if they walked through water to lose hate.

Pathing messes with monsters hate a lot. Happens a lot in ifrits and mount z due to the lava cracks.
    other then that, you never did anything else to the mob except voke, occasionally you need to hit it or cast somethin to gain hate along side a voke.

Similar things can happen in Dynamis - Bastok, or at least for me. While paralyzed, if I use provoke, the mob would turn red after a link pull, but it would still follow the puller.
    Technically, since voke isn\'t going off, its not really the same, but it is, as the mob is being claimed by me.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Dont think this has too much to do with what happend, but my set ENM group always does test your mite cause its real easy. Our nin d/c'd as we enter and came back, but couldnt get hate on the diremite....no mater what he did.