+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cascading Routers     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Cascading Routers

I want to cascade my wireless linksys routers but I dont know how Theyre both G routers, and Im too dumb to figure out how to make a wireless access point, someone help D;

Banned.

BG Level

fuck routers mine isnt working wah wah wah

seriously mine really isnt working and thats the sound im making

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

ive got no idea what your talking about

so im gonna sing the doom song 4 U

edit: halp i forgot teh doom song, holmes

you mean where they both broadcast the same wireless network?

just set up each as an access point to the same SSID with the same passwords...

should work fine and auto default to the strongest signal.

make sure you make one the DNS server 192.168.1.1 and have the second router 192.168.1.2 or similar...

course, are you running off a single IP? if thats the case its easier to just get a wireless extender anyway... -_-;

Quote Originally Posted by RanDom_ErrOr
    you mean where they both broadcast the same wireless network?

just set up each as an access point to the same SSID with the same passwords...

should work fine and auto default to the strongest signal.
    I only understood half of that

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Change the SSID's to the same name, and you may have to set each one on different channels though.

Google router cascading, and youll probably get more detailed info.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Change the SSID's to the same name, and you may have to set each one on different channels though.

Google router cascading, and youll probably get more detailed info.
    Google came up with horrible results :S

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

You need to set on into Gateway mode, the other into Router mode.
    Also on the one thats hooked directly to your cable / dsl modem you want that set as router and as the DHCP server.

The other one you're basically setting it as a dumb repeater. It needs to be the 2nd IP address in your IP Scheme

IE if your Default router is 192.168.1.1 the second HAS to be 192.168.1.2

You'll want to set your DHCP scope to not start till after 5 (192.168.1.5) should be your IP range for machines inside the network.

The SSID, WPA2 (I reccomend this instead of WEP) and MAC filtering need to have cascading results and the same settings in both, I don't know if linksys routers support cascading updates and path determination for network packets but you need to set these to be the same. This is important if you have ports open on the gateway router IE port forwarding or open SSH stuff like that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea
    Also on the one thats hooked directly to your cable / dsl modem you want that set as router and as the DHCP server.

The other one you're basically setting it as a dumb repeater. It needs to be the 2nd IP address in your IP Scheme

You'll want to set your DHCP scope to not start till after 5 (192.168.1.5) should be your IP range for machines inside the network.

The SSID, WPA2 (I reccomend this instead of WEP) and MAC filtering need to have cascading results and the same settings in both, I don't know if linksys routers support cascading updates and path determination for network packets but you need to set these to be the same. This is important if you have ports open on the gateway router IE port forwarding or open SSH stuff like that.
    dumb repeater? more like a hub or switch no?

Which one do I set as router and which as gateway?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

the one connecting to your modem is your router , the other one is the gateway

Old Merits
    BG Level

WDS Bridging might be a more appropriate term to google.

My brain itches

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    My brain itches
    me to

save yourself a headache and get a wireless switch rather then try cascade two wireless routers.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea

dumb repeater? more like a hub or switch no?
    A hub is a repeater, just another name. It could be a switch if you used subnetting and were placing the two routers on seperate networks. In this example all you're doing is rebouncing the wireless signal to increase range

Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    save yourself a headache and get a wireless switch rather then try cascade two wireless routers.
    too late already bought a 2nd one

First thing you should do is turn G off. 10mbs is faster than your home connection. Wireless is a trade off between reliability/distance/speed. With less speed you get more distance. Wanna know how much these "speedboster" access points suck?

This cascading stuff is bullshit.. Just put a real router behind your cable/dsl modem and then plug a switch into that and wire cables to your various access points(not routers, just normal access points).

We own a 100 square mile 802.11 network that services a few thousand people and thats basically how we do it...