BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Dynamis Valkurm Boss Theory

General consensus has often seemed to be that on the Boss for Valkurm you can just get unlucky & have it get off charmga, which can easily cause a wipe.

Thoughts around this also seemed to agree that killing Nantina either reduced the chances of the Mega Boss using Charmga, or severely reduced the duration of the charm.

My experience in clearing this zone numerous times but having wipes here & there would seem to back that up.

However, on a wipe the other night I noticed something I found potentially interesting, although it may just as easily have been horrific bad luck as well.

When fighting Nantina it did not get charm off at all, not once, it didn't even attempt to use it & get stunned. On fighting the Megaboss it did Charm 2 or 3x, and this completely screwed us.

My thought was is it possible that Charmga is only locked if Nantina actually uses the ability? I think I've only lost to the Megaboss here one other time due to Charmga, and I can't remember if Nantina used it that time or not. Can anyone think what their experience on that has been & if that holds any water at all?

Just a potential thought.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

In our experience, if anyone outside Ciratte Christelle's melee range takes hate, she begins to spam her TP moves regardless of whether or not you killed Fairy Ring, and furthermore, she gets her Charmga back as if you never killed Nant'ina.

What we do now is have tanks between her and the gate, mages on the east side, melee on the west side, and RDM/DRK stunners split up on the east/west sides. Everyone is right next to Ciratte except for WHMs and SMNs, pretty much. We time a tier 4 nuke, then PLDs Provoke and Invincible, BRDs Lullaby the Nightmare Morbols, RDMs Chainspell Stun, and everyone just goes all out balls to the wall. Last time we did Valkurm, Christelle wasn't standing for longer than 30 seconds.

Also, to address your concern, we killed Nant'ina before he had a chance to use Charmga as well, but we did not experience that problem.

- Shadida

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

We were all in melee range as well.

CC was down to about 25% HP within the first 20-30 seconds of engaging, same essential zerg approach as you mentioned.

It seems unlikely to me that this would be the case, but I hadn't seen it happen before & thought it worth mentioning.

New Merits
    BG Level

sometimes my Ls had the feeling that the GM was controlling the boss.

souleman

Every time we have fought Nantina, it has used charmga on us. And CC has used it also. So it doesn't matter if nantina uses it or not, the move still isn't locked.

I will say this, which is strange though. Our last fight, we had some problems early on, so decided to skip nantina and go directly for CC. Due to a couple blm's making a bad mistake, we were not able to keep CC stun locked, and he got off Charmga. From that point on, he would spam charmga. He seemed to do it a bit more frequently then the other times when we killed Nantina.

The really strange thing was that his charmga woudln't hit everyone. I know I was charmed only once in the fight, but others were charmed 3 or 4 times. I actually kept CC stun locked (I'm RDM/DRK) while most people were charmed. The durration of charm was short enough I only got hit by my aliance a couple times. Unfortunately the pets were awake by this time, and killed me a few seconds later.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ah well, was worth a thought at least =P

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Aurik's theory was once you kill the specific NM, Nantina (Charm breath) for example, the boss doesn't have this ability at will, but will now have to build TP to use it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I have never seen charmga happen after killing Nan'tina. If you have, then what wafik said.

We've cleared 2 or 3 times 1 time never killing Nantina, other time Nantina did not get off charm AoE. CC didn't get charm off either time. So yea, doesn't have to use it to be locked. We usually double up RDM/DRK for chain stun, with sleep TP, Icarus Wings and SV minuets, CC goes down in like 20 seconds.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ibi Risasi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Done Valkurm 4 (I think) times.

Killed Nantina every time, never had charm go off.

Never had CC use charmga. Although she has found other highly entertaining ways to decimate us before.

Aurik's theory does sound highly plausible though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

My dynamis LS wiped the first 3 times to CC after killing Fairy Ring and Goobbue. After that, every attempt on the CC was a win. He never used Charm or Breath in 5 or 6 consecutive battles.

Did they listen to us and fix the zone?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    We've cleared 2 or 3 times 1 time never killing Nantina, other time Nantina did not get off charm AoE. CC didn't get charm off either time. So yea, doesn't have to use it to be locked. We usually double up RDM/DRK for chain stun, with sleep TP, Icarus Wings and SV minuets, CC goes down in like 20 seconds.
    Solo or teamed up with Bloodstone? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by TB
    My dynamis LS wiped the first 3 times to CC after killing Fairy Ring and Goobbue. After that, every attempt on the CC was a win. He never used Charm or Breath in 5 or 6 consecutive battles.

Did they listen to us and fix the zone?
    The zone hasn't changed since it was implemented, afaik. See the above discussion for thoughts on why you are (not) experiencing whatever.

The thing about hate and melee range feels right to me, but it's not something I've bothered to experiment with.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i havnt done this in a long time so havnt been able to try my idea, so im wondering if someone can provide insight (done this zone 2times and 1/2 both times killing fairy ring and the goobue)

has anyone tried just going straight for CC and ignoring fairy ring/ goobue ... it seems like its all luck based regardless (or we just dont properly understand the mechanics) but if you're gonna chainspell stun anyways and hope it doesnt get off charm... why waste half the run to not even guarantee a win?
    seems like its better off trying to win , and use the rest of the time to farm -1 armor

or am i totally missing something obvious like CC wont pop until those NM's are killed >_>

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Even CS Stunning CC is going to get off instant use TP moves. And they will be significantly worse if you don't kill Nantina/Fairy Ring.

In theory you could bum rush him with CS Stun & hope for the best but it's running decently more risk than if you kill the 2 NM's first.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

After others' responces, Garret, just seems like we had pure bad luck.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kooldac
    Welcome to CoP, where luck trumps skill!™

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Also check out RoZ, where the quality of your bot trumps luck and skill!™

Quote Originally Posted by Hiruke
    Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Solo or teamed up with Bloodstone? Just curious.
    Shogun + Bloodstone do pretty much all Dynamis together nowadays. If it were solo we'd be lucky to get 25 :/

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

We never kill any of the NM's.. Just kill all the cactuars, hippos, manticores and head straight for the boss. If we lose, at least we usually have 3-4 drops to show for the run. Win at that point seems to be about 50/50, depending on what TP moves CC gets off and how much damage we have. We used to do the traditional way, but ended up losing sometimes and having nothing to show for the run, which was really annoying.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Sykes
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Also check out RoZ, where the quality of your bot trumps luck and skill!™
    Hark! ...The clash of two epic titans! Who will prevail and rule the universe with an iron subligar?!

I've always wanted to use "Hark!" in a sentence.