+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Demonoid isn't as safe as I thought it would be.

I'm not going to go on and say you shouldn't do this and shouldn't do that and blah blah blah. I'm just going to put this up for you to read so you know. At 5am this morning I checked my email and had a forwarded letter from my dad that was from Comcast about a game I downloaded through Demonoid. It had this to say.

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Report Date Time: Mon. 5 Feb 2007 10:15:27 -0800

<Insert Fathers Full Name>
    <Insert Address>
    <Insert City, State and Zip>

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber

Comcast has Received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service) The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocal ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or email to:

Comcast Legal Response Center
    Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
    650 Centerton Road
    Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
    Phone: (856) 317-7272
    Fax: (856) 317-7319
    E-mail: mailto:[email protected]

For more information regarding Comcast's Copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Addeptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net

Sincerely,
    Comcast Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringment:

Title: Mega Man
    Infringement Source: BitTorrent
    Infringement Timestamp: 30 Jan 2007 15:18:42 GMT
    Infringement Last Documented: 30 Jan 2007 15:18:42 GMT
    Infringer Username:
    Infringing Filename: Megaman X
    Infringing Filesize: 1100393734
    Infringer IP Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Infringer DNS Name: c-xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.hsd1.wa.comcast.net
    Infringing URL: http://inferno.demonoid.com:3390/announce
    When you pirate you do expect this however it is sort of surprising from a tracker like demonoid. I have sent this to demonoid to warn them that one or more of their torrents are being watched since no tracker likes that. Anyway this is just to warn you about that torrent. It the torrent thats 3 games Magaman X4 - X6. . My dad took it much lighter this time he wasn't all like "OMG ERASE EVERYTHING YOU DOWNLOADED AND BLAH BLAH BLAH" so I was happy about that. But now since I know bittorrent is unsafe in general and some torrents are being watched I don't know what to switch to. Any suggestions?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

my internet was shut off recently from downloading World Trade Center... i dont remember if i got it from demonoid or torrentspy.. but all i DL now is legal stuff lol..

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cletis
    my internet was shut off recently from downloading World Trade Center... i dont remember if i got it from demonoid or torrentspy.. but all i DL now is legal stuff lol..
    Totally blows... Seems that all the gimp torrents I download (Last time it was Billy Madison) are the ones I get caught from.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Err, I dont think anyone thinks Demonoid is 'safer' than any other torrent site. Its just a website that you can d/l torrents from, its not responsible for youre security. So instead of saying Demonoid, you should say every torrent site.

ISPs rarely ever go after torrent sites, they go after users who dl/ul a lot. And since you said youve been warned before, youre even a more likely suspect. All they have to do is look at your traffic, see there is a lot of action going on, see what your dl'n and then looking at what and how.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Err, I dont think anyone thinks Demonoid is 'safer' than any other torrent site. Its just a website that you can d/l torrents from, its not responsible for youre security. So instead of saying Demonoid, you should say every torrent site.

ISPs rarely ever go after torrent sites, they go after users who dl/ul a lot. And since you said youve been warned before, youre even a more likely suspect. All they have to do is look at your traffic, see there is a lot of action going on, see what your dl'n and then looking at what and how.
    Yay I'm popular... Oh shi- thats not good! Yeah thats why I changed the title from "as you thought it would be" to "as I thought it would be" ! As I said I do expect this shit when I pirate stuff. Though it is sad that you have to sign up for this site and you can get banned from this site when its not as safe as any other site.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Heh, being secure is not the reason for private trackers, its to provide specialized content with a good community. The only reason you need to sign into the site is to d/l the torrents. Another reason is because theres always problems with leeches, everyone does it, they finish the dl and then they dont seed. With private trackers, your ul/dl is being watched, and if you dont keep up, youll be banned. Its for good measure and it makes everyone happy.

So, just with like anything on the internet, even MSs site, if data is going through your ISP, it can be monitored.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I think Comcast shouldn't be as tight assed... I mean aren't people from NJ always layed back or something (I know I'm gonna get it for saying that)? I mean come on Comcast come to the dark side we have cookies!

If you use azereus be sure to download the safepeer plugin, it works like that standalone program that blocks IPs but it works directly into azereus with a preloaded list that is updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    I think Comcast shouldn't be as tight assed... I mean aren't people from NJ always layed back or something (I know I'm gonna get it for saying that)? I mean come on Comcast come to the dark side we have cookies!
    Comcast is the shitty internet service everyone complains about, right? You'd think they'd let people get away with downloading illegal crap. I'm on Optimum Online (Cablevision) and I have yet to be kicked for downloading torrents.

I download a lot especially during daytime(work hrs.)/night(sleep hrs ;3)

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

never have a problem with this lol

<3 Speakeasy <3

as long as i dont spam, they dont give a damn

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Re: Demonoid isn't as safe as I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    When you pirate you do expect this however it is sort of surprising from a tracker like demonoid. I have sent this to demonoid to warn them that one or more of their torrents are being watched since no tracker likes that. Anyway this is just to warn you about that torrent. It the torrent thats 3 games Magaman X4 - X6. . My dad took it much lighter this time he wasn't all like "OMG ERASE EVERYTHING YOU DOWNLOADED AND BLAH BLAH BLAH" so I was happy about that. But now since I know bittorrent is unsafe in general and some torrents are being watched I don't know what to switch to. Any suggestions?
    <3 mexican isp

Groovebox

I miss the good ol' days of BBS pirating

usenet ftw

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Gotta love the fact I can just drop my IP with my router and create a new one, I do that every time I stop the torrents and let the information upload to demonoid... And besides, my cable company is most likely too dumb to realize this, since i've been downloading stuff like this for almost 5 years (since I got their service, that is) from IRC/torrent/whathaveyou, and I've never been contacted.

Bad luck IMO, but I doubt they can really pursue anything unless you're serving 500GB a month or some astronomical number like that, and downloading about the same.

Just be careful and lay low for a while.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Come to Canada, it's not illegal here. ^______________________________________________^

...yet. Going to go find some wood to knock on.

BG's Official Canucks Fan
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    Come to Canada, it's not illegal here. ^______________________________________________^

Sorry epical but Ive been warned by telus for doing the same thing as Ikith only I was warned for downloading Adobe Creative Suites 2. The ONLY difference is that telus said they won't give up my name to the company but suggested I stop downloading copyrighted material.

I've been warned twice in five years for downloading this stuff and everytime I get busted for doing it, it's because I was seeding the stuff for weeks on end.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Gotta love the fact I can just drop my IP with my router and create a new one, I do that every time I stop the torrents and let the information upload to demonoid... And besides, my cable company is most likely too dumb to realize this, since i've been downloading stuff like this for almost 5 years (since I got their service, that is) from IRC/torrent/whathaveyou, and I've never been contacted.

Bad luck IMO, but I doubt they can really pursue anything unless you're serving 500GB a month or some astronomical number like that, and downloading about the same.

Just be careful and lay low for a while.
    Doesnt matter if your IP changes, the ISP isnt that dumb. Aside, unless your paying for a static IP, your IP changes a lot. Your ISP is easily able to record what customer is leasing what IP, what IPs it has used, and total bandwidth. To use a lack of a better term.... you really are connected through a tube, anything going in and out of it can be monitored by your ISP.

I havent been caught yet either, and really the only way you can get caught is if you ul/dl an insane amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoronas

Sorry epical but Ive been warned by telus for doing the same thing as Ikith only I was warned for downloading Adobe Creative Suites 2. The ONLY difference is that telus said they won't give up my name to the company but suggested I stop downloading copyrighted material.

I've been warned twice in five years for downloading this stuff and everytime I get busted for doing it, it's because I was seeding the stuff for weeks on end.
    No epical is right its not illegal to download music/movies/games in Canada. It is, however, Illegal to upload stuff which is probably what you got warned for.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Thoronas

My first ISP was Shaw, then I moved to Telus, and now in the last three months I've moved back to Shaw, and at not ONE time through alllll those years of downloading have I been warned by my ISP (damnit I have to find more wood now). I don't know what to say. If you download off TPB trackers, or SuprNova, they're watched by ISPs because they're in the news. If you're smart and do your business through private trackers, you're safe as can be. Either way, being in Canada, we're far less "at risk" to be scrutinized by our ISPs. Just enjoy it. =P

BG's Official Canucks Fan
    BG Level

Hmmm perhaps I need to reread the warnings I got. Now that I think about it telus may have been warning me about possibly being sued as a private citizen. As for most of my (non-anime) torrents I get them from torrentspy or mininova.