+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

A question about applying for jobs.

Ok so I have applied everywhere in my area and I have had no response from anyone. I did it through their online application stuff because I don't want to pop into every store, restaurant, gas station, etc. They also don't give you a phone number to follow up with like I thought they would. I'm wondering if applying online or through a real application makes a difference or if it's just because I have a loser personality on their little personality test things. I'm a really nice guy and I love to learn and advance but another thing I think thats killing it is the fact that I need a flex able schedule because of college. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Going in person makes a huge difference

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Going in person and making a good first impression is obviously going to be better than filling out a piece of paper on the internet.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Since you already filled out an online app, the next best step would be to go in person and follow up about it.

EDIT: Depending on how desperate you are, you can check locate temp agencies too. When I first moved to WI I had to find a job ASAP so I got temp work for a couple months. One of the jobs turned into my current full-time job at an insurance company.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I've been going through the job search lately, myself. Put yourself together a resume (even if you just use the Word template), with a couple good references. And, like they said, go in places and ask to speak with someone like a manager. That's the approach that's gotten me the farthest. A lot of places will be hiring and not advertising the fact as well, so be sure to check everywhere you'd like to work (or everywhere you could stand to ).

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

Every job I've landed I was hired on the spot, I've never dropped off an application and then ended up with the job. Your results may vary.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Show up in person, and show up in a semi proffesional manner. I get about 2-3 applications a day, first impressions make a huge difference which pile we throw apps in. Then those who follow up make yet another big difference.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    I've been going through the job search lately, myself. Put yourself together a resume (even if you just use the Word template), with a couple good references. And, like they said, go in places and ask to speak with someone like a manager. That's the approach that's gotten me the farthest. A lot of places will be hiring and not advertising the fact as well, so be sure to check everywhere you'd like to work (or everywhere you could stand to ).
    The problem with a resume is I have no references if I do get a job this will be my first. I have been spoiled and I feel I am ready to get off my ass and work my hardest. The funny thing is when I ask for an application they say "We are relying on our online applications to hire right now" this either means A) They don't want to give me an application or B) Companies are starting to become less face to face about the application process. Anyway I thank you all for the suggestions and I will try some of them. !

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    The problem with a resume is I have no references if I do get a job this will be my first. I have been spoiled and I feel I am ready to get off my ass and work my hardest. The funny thing is when I ask for an application they say "We are relying on our online applications to hire right now" this either means A) They don't want to give me an application or B) Companies are starting to become less face to face about the application process. Anyway I thank you all for the suggestions and I will try some of them. !
    A personal friend will do as a reference (not your bro that you smoke pot with, but like someone your parents know and who knows you or at least has a good impression of you), or even a teacher/professor that you know fairly well.

I've gotten the 'apply online' line too, and that sucks, but what you can do is do the online shit, and then follow up at the actual place of business. That can put an image in their mind to attach to your app/resume, which mostly are pretty generic.

Just don't give up, and don't rule out working somewhere like Sears just because it's fucking lame. It's not like you'll be there forever. Often places like that are hiring constantly, it seems.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Also don't wait for them to call you. You should call them and ask if they need anymore information or anything else to help them make their decision. Don't call 5 times a day or anything like that, but maybe a week after you apply call them to let them know that you really are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel
    Every job I've landed I was hired on the spot, I've never dropped off an application and then ended up with the job. Your results may vary.
    How?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    How?
    I turned in applications at the job, but was always interviewed right after I turned in my app. and they always hired me on the spot.

Happened at McDonalds (lolIwas13), Gamestop, a pub, and another restaurant called Don Pablos.

Maybe cause I'm a girl? idk, I'm sure at more professional places they really take the app. into strong consideration.

LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW.

A lot of people that apply for those entry level retail/restaurant jobs are flakes. You gotta let them know that you are a motivated, responsible adult who really wants to work for them (or at least until you are hired.) :wink:

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Another reason I want a job is to get my mind off of things. When I'm bored I start thinking about stupid things that are going on in my life and it gets me down so I just want to be entertained and I have stopped playing World of Warcraft because its boring because I used to play alot. Anyway yeah thanks again for your help.

Edit1: This is why I am up at 2am in the morning. Its because I can't sleep because I'm depressed as hell.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Bebopaloo
    LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW.
    Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    How?
    Maybe cause I'm a girl?
    Very Fact.

Teamkiller of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

To quote a wise acquittance from the state...

It's not what you know, it's who you blow
    Seriousness aside, if you get a face to face interview, always ask for the persons card so you can follow up, then right after the interview or the next day, send them a thank you letter thanking them for the interview, and then squeeze in a little more info to "sell yourself" even more.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you are applying at a restaurant, go during an "off" time, i.e. after their lunch rush but before the dinner crowd.