+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Back pain (For no apperent reason)

So just recently (about 2-3 hours ago) I started having these pains in my back. They aren't on and off pains they are continuous pains in one spot (Right around my right shoulder maybe an inch from the back of my neck and a half inch right). I haven't lifted anything heavy or anything like that however I did have sex about 2 hours before the pains started (May be some relevant data). At this point I have taken 2 tylenol PM and I'm about to lay down. Any other suggestions on how to stop this back pain before I go?

Thanks Guys,
    Ikith

Ridill
    BG Level

uh... try a massage from whoever you had sex with?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    uh... try a massage from whoever you had sex with?
    Really wish I could but I can't because I had to leave her house . I don't know whats going on but I asked my sister to massage my back and it didn't help at all. I have never had this kind of pain in my back ever!

May have just turned the wrong way to fast and pulled a muscle or something, most likely will be gone in a day or two. Happened to me before and it hurts like a bitch for a while.

Heating pad will help, or ICY/HOT

Most like you pulled a muscle, in a sudden motion while sleeping in bed or looking/moving to quickly making the muscle get jittered.

If it feels like a charlie horse type pain but minimal quality it will go away in a few days, but if it keeps bothering you for more than a week, maybe a pinched nerve, go see doctor

Relic Horn
    BG Level

If it feels like a growing pain (that annoying, throbbing feel) and it continues for the next few days I'd go see a doctor. Had what I thought were growing pains in my right leg for a long ass time and ended up with spinal fusion surgery because of pinched spinal cord. Don't know if it could/would/can be the same feeling near your shoulder, but don't wait around for it to go away for too long.

Sounds like a pain I use to get. I'd guess you may have slept wrong or pulled a muscle, and it hurts like hell. What others have said, yeah, get a pad and just deal with it. It'll last 3-5 days or so, but if it persists, see a doctor.

How old are you?

Caffeine, Nicotine, and being Dehydration will cause you back pain as you get older.

http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs ... ackex.html are some basic back exercises you can do that will strengthen your back as a whole and prevent injury and relieve pain.

You're not 16 forever.. gotta start taking care of your shit and the sooner the better

If it gets worse, see a chiropractic or if you want go see one anyway. They are usually pretty cheap and totally worth it. It is kind of weird having a man lay his hands all over you at first.. but after awhile you start to like what he can do for you more than what any girl can do for you

Use Aleve, it's the shit on back pain.

If it continues, see a doctor if you have health insurance...but I would warn against back surgery...it's one of the least effective surgeries in terms of sucess rates and often times you will have to go back under the knife 2 or 3 times.

Definately start doing back exercises, especially if you have a family history of back problems. I've got a blown out disk already (24 years old ><), but I rarely if ever have pain because I do my back exercises every night.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Kidney stone >_>?

Re: Back pain (For no apperent reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    So just recently (about 2-3 hours ago) I started having these pains in my back. They aren't on and off pains they are continuous pains in one spot (Right around my right shoulder maybe an inch from the back of my neck and a half inch right). I haven't lifted anything heavy or anything like that however I did have sex about 2 hours before the pains started (May be some relevant data). At this point I have taken 2 tylenol PM and I'm about to lay down. Any other suggestions on how to stop this back pain before I go?

Thanks Guys,
    Ikith
    Take whatever medical advice you get from a message board with a grain of salt. However good people's intentions may be, there's no way for anyone (even a doctor) to tell what's going on with your back just based on what you can tell them over the internet. If the pain is due to something benign, like a pulled muscle, it should feel better with some ibuprofen (or Tylenol, although ibuprofen is usually more effective against joint and muscle pain) and a warm compress over the area where you have the pain. If this doesn't help, or if the pain is severe, or if it persists for more than a few days, the pain you're feeling could potentially be something more serious, and you should go see a doctor. And please see a medical doctor (MD or DO) and not a chiropractor (DC). There's little science in chiropractic, and you want to see someone who can figure out what's causing the problem and not just give you an expensive back massage.

Hope you feel better.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Try using that Head-on stuff on your back. Or I think they have stuff for your other body pains too now.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Joran
    Try using that Head-on stuff on your back. Or I think they have stuff for your other body pains too now.
    ACTIVE ON: APPLY DIRECTLY WHERE IT HURTS

Chiropractics may or may not be "scientific", yet everyone I know who has seen one usually comes back with good results and spends less than $1000.

Everyone I know that goes to the hospital comes back with pills and removed discs and movement lost for life and spends much more than $1000

Of course your mileage may very depending on how competent your chiropractic is.. mine actually went to medical school and has a ph.d and all that jibba jabba and uses the same x-rays and techniques to diagnose problems that hospitals do.

I was one of those.. felt fine after a car accident but a year later I woke up with lots of pain and couldn't even turn my head. He is pretty cool and honest with me.. He told me he could relieve my pain but without significant life style changes I might end up in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Devek
    Chiropractics may or may not be "scientific", yet everyone I know who has seen one usually comes back with good results and spends less than $1000.

Everyone I know that goes to the hospital comes back with pills and removed discs and movement lost for life and spends much more than $1000

Of course your mileage may very depending on how competent your chiropractic is.. mine actually went to medical school and has a ph.d and all that jibba jabba and uses the same x-rays and techniques to diagnose problems that hospitals do.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. People who wind up admitted to a hospital are sicker than those who just walk in to a doctor's office, so of course there's a higher degree of morbidity associated with hospitalized patients versus outpatients in any kind of office setting.

I'm glad you and some people you know have had good experiences with chiropractors, but the plural of anecdote is not data. I could tell you stories too, of people with neck pain who went to see a chiropractor instead of a medical doctor and wound up with significant injuries or paralysis because they were mismanaged by the chiropractor.

I'm not trying to argue that all chiropractors are quacks. The problem is that there is a great degree of variability among them, and it's hard to know what you're going to get. For example, did you know that a bachelor's degree is not a requirement for admission to 18 out of the 19 chiropractic schools in the US? Compare this to medical school, which requires a bachelor's, 4 years of medical school, and 3 or more years of postgraduate training.

There are some people who feel better after seeing a chiropractor, but these people might also benefit from simple physical therapy without all the subluxation mumbo-jumbo too. And however much benefit from chiropractic these people might receive, they should first be evaluated by a medical doctor, someone who is trained and licensed to make medical diagnoses, to make sure they do not have a serious medical problem. There's no way to tell over the internet what the nature of Ikith's problem is. He deserves an evaluation by someone qualified and licensed to make that determination, and the way to be sure he's evaluated properly is for him to go see a medical doctor.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Your problem does sound like a pinched nerve. I get them sometimes, I just wake up and have a rotten day where I can't stand up straight for the first half.

Use a heating pad, Icy/Hot, tiger balm, any kind of muscle relaxant or pain reliever or heating thing.

Old Merits
    BG Level

WALK IT OFF, SON.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    Kidney stone >_>?
    How in the fuck did you come up with Kidney Stones?

Seriously I hope you do not go into the medical field, I wouldn't want to be a patient of your that thinks a Kidney stone can reach the fucking shoulder

Seriously Kidney Stone is the 4th worst pain a man will ever face

I passed 2 little ones (I'm only fucking 26) that shit felt like pushing a boulder thru a mouse hole

The 3 more worse are

3. The Long ass Q-Tip the medical professional use, that they push into your pee hole
    2. Burning your penis (including the sack)
    1. Chopping your penis (including the sack)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I... was... joking.. wow.