Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

MDB/-%MDMG Set {Help, Can I have it?}

I know it has been gone over in multiple other topics, But I need to know if my set will live up against Proto-Ultima. I can't find any solid numbers to how much CB does completely unbuffed, If it gets any kind of random damage boost from the constant double Light in the zone, or what -% and MDB you need to have to live through consistantly.

I currently on PLD/NIN will have -22% Magic Damage Taken, and +5MDB in gear. The WHM in the tank party has fully Merited ShellraV, and if not by him, I will allways have Shell IV up. I will have 1520HP or 1545HP (I have MP merit's and not the best +HP gear otherwise) depending on what food choice I decide on. I will also have a total of 70MND if this at all matters.

Basically this my question, Does anyone have enough experience with a setup similar to this to tell me if I will live through CB? I personally feel this is as good as my Magic Down set will get at the moment just because I don't have the gil to fund anything else into it.

Vygun

that should be good enough to survive it, but it will be close, so make sure your topped off. If you want to be really sure of yourself use carbonera.

I'm not sure exactly how to calculate the dmg on it, but assuming you don't go in on lightsday you should live if topped off.

dug up my old screenshot folder
    the two CB's i had in there were for 1631 and 1696
    that was with shell 5 and possibly light carol (or w/e the brd song that gives light resist is)

I remember a few 2k+ CB's when completely unbuffed

all those with 0 magic defense/resist setup, and before the rampart upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator
    dug up my old screenshot folder
    the two CB's i had in there were for 1631 and 1696
    that was with shell 5 and possibly light carol (or w/e the brd song that gives light resist is)

I remember a few 2k+ CB's when completely unbuffed

all those with 0 magic defense/resist setup, and before the rampart upgrade
    Well I know with rampart I will survive no problem, I don't know if we are going to be useing 2 PLD/NIN's tonight, or If I will be cotanking with ninja's with either /drk or /brd. My rampart is accually on a 4:10min timer, but In his final mode, He can fire off at least 2? if not 3 in that time period.

But if those numbers are correct, (the carol isn't really going to do anything, unless both of those you partially resisted which I doubt with 50 odd Light res), I should live through CB, with about 200? HP. That should be fine considering I have 30sec to get Full HP, and Will have shadows to live the aftermath.

Blackice

I'll show you my set sometime today if you want Akroma, lowest I took last wednesday was 975.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice
    I'll show you my set sometime today if you want Akroma, lowest I took last wednesday was 975.
    Sure, It could help :D 975 Is really low for you considering your galka and probably sit with at least 1700 in your magic down set =/

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

that should be good. im not a pld but thats better then some of the plds i have seen go in. just hope the whm keeps ur HP up before it goes off. also im not sure about pld food but maybe some hP food to throw in the mix

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was able to get my CBs to the 1100 range without my Resentment active (had forgotten to get signet before the fight) my LSs last run thru, and I don't think I had shell V either.

My biggest advice is DO NOT do the fight on Lightsday. Citadel Buster does between 400-500 more damage on Lightsday, which with your average magic damage set saccing some HP can be a death sentence.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Akroma_Seraph
    I can't find any solid numbers to how much CB does completely unbuffed
    I think it does 2400 base dmg. I don't know if it is subject to the double light weather bonus.

Shell 4 + 5 MDB + -12% magic dmg resulted in a 1688 CB.

2400/1.25 *.88 = 1689

pretty close, might have messed up the calculation, don't have a calculator handy.

Quote Originally Posted by shishio
    I think it does 2400 base dmg. I don't know if it is subject to the double light weather bonus.

Shell 4 + 5 MDB + -12% magic dmg resulted in a 1688 CB.

2400/1.25 *.88 = 1689

pretty close, might have messed up the calculation, don't have a calculator handy.
    I don't know where you got the terms you used but if you have 5 MDB and shell 4 and -12% from gear then it's something like

OldCB * 1/1.05 * 170/256 = NewCB or about 63% of your previous damage taken (1517 or thereabouts if the base is 2400).

Assuming that it is affected by weather bonus (which it likely is), which seems from anecdotal evidence to kick in about 1/3 of the time, so you have about a 44% chance it'll do 10% more than base damage, and an 11% chance that it'll do 25% more than base damage, and that's on non-lightsday, and assuming each weather condition can kick in individually with the same probability.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by shishio
    Since it's always double light in Temenos, i'd say that 2400 is the increased result when you dont resist, i took around that much one time without any buffs on and no gear on. Most of the time i take only 1600-1800 with Shell III on and i dont have the MDB/M. Damage gear, so either im resisting alot or sometimes the double light doesnt kick in.

I concur with the lightsday increasing damage like a motherfucker though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

One option would be avoiding citadel buster altogether. I've heard of some folks using the bard in their tank party to grab hate as soon as the countdown starts, then everyone else runs out of the AOE range. Hymnus > Mazurka > Mazurka > dead bard. Everyone run back in, and resume the fight...weakened bard is no big thing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was always under the impression that the original target of CB will remain the target, even though hate may shift during the countdown (resulting in someone other than the CB target getting drawn in).

One tactic is to, instead, have the BRD run in and get hate during the countdown so the tank can run away without getting drawn in. Then, CB will hit the tank in some far off corner, while everyone continues to safely pound on Ultima through CB without stopping or running away.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

CB will definatly change targets in the middle of countdown.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

CB can definitely change targets, it's an absolute bitch when it does.

Xavier

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../wtfultima.jpg
    As long as that doesn't happen, you'll survive easy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

The linkshell that I do limbus has a bard yank hate from whomever has it during the countdown allowing everyone else to run out of the room.

Last time I added it up, a hume, elvaan, or galka bard can live through CB, mostly thanks to Merman's gear.

Of course Merman's gear isn't really price efficient now thanks to the coral fragment nerf.