+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Non mandau owners(that use thf on HNMs)

What dagger do you use?

Obviously Thf knife should be #1, but I'm 0/55ish on that, and lack the gil to buy one.

I'm thinking about getting a Blau again, but I rarely use my thf for anything outside of dynamis. I merit on my ninja.

How does Behemoth+1 or Harpe stack up against Blau(on HNM)?

I've been 75 thf for some time, but never really cared about maxing dmg, just a th whore usually.

plzzzzz halp

I'm only an observer, but I talk to a RL friend from my shell a lot about his thieving ways. Basically, you need to use a high damage weapon to break HNM defense. Blau is really good, as is Harpe. One of our THF has a Perseus Harpe, and he rips stuff up. Behemoth Knife is a cheaper alternative, at least on my server, but I'd call that the bare minimum. Anything under about 32 base damage is going to hit for 0's a lot. Thief Knife should be swapped in when the mob is under 10%, because until then it's not going to do nearly as much damage. You probably already know to go /WAR for maximum single-hand output. Other than that, just play it by ear.

you need to use a high damage weapon to break HNM defense
    Well no, a dagger with LOWER D but with +ATTACK on will hit harder, Blau with +18 attack would hit harder than a Jambiya+1 for example.

Yeah, I wasn't clear enough, Blau is definitely your best bet if you can get hold of one. The attack is unparalleled. However, you'll get the same sort of effect with slightly less consistency (and at a much lower price, at least on my server) with a Harpe. You just want to minimize the 0 hits because they inhibit your TP gain, and in my experience a high base damage weapon does that very well, especially with Berserk.

If you cant get a Mandau... P Harpe wins...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I'm using Blau Dolch most of the time.
    If you have more than one melee on the HNM, you might want to consider Adder Jambiya as well but the problems with that are 1) it's rare as hell and 2) I have no clue how often the effect procs on HNM since I have yet to get my hands on a Star Sapphire =.=

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

If you don't want to spring for a Blau - grab a Behemoth+1. Should serve you well in a situation where every point of attack will help you stay away from 0's.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

blau dolch is a great main hand, can offhand a sirocco... P harpe will do the trick...never really liked the behemoth line or misericorde.
    (and before some retard suggests it, OMGS BATARDEAU!@!!@!#)

adder jambiya is pretty much trash. Have the only one on my server, procs...decently on some mobs, not much on hnm, and you really cant even tell the difference when the evasion down is on.

tempted to sell it for retarded amounts since im sure some jp would want it ;p

Thf knife is a crappy dagger, if you're going to use it, its a swap in at 1-5% anyway damage wise its trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Slott
    blau dolch is a great main hand, can offhand a sirocco... P harpe will do the trick...never really liked the behemoth line or misericorde.

adder jambiya is pretty much trash. Have the only one on my server, procs...decently on some mobs, not much on hnm, and you really cant even tell the difference when the evasion down is on.

Thf knife is a crappy dagger, if you're going to use it, its a swap in at 1-5% anyway damage wise its trash.
    didn't know thiefs got put in the party before that ;3

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    Quote Originally Posted by Slott

didn't know thiefs got put in the party before that ;3
    Every 10(8/6) minutes for feint (lolMeleeing?) :wink:

I generally uses Behe, because I'm too poor for blau atm and Xolotl is still being a jerk.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Martial is a fine knife for HNM since mostly all you're using on HNM is Shark Bite for SCs. I haven't found an instance I haven't really been using that except trying to knock that 1% off Khimaira. And it's cheap and fast.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

mercurial kris thf/drk ftw.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Hm, still pretty split then haha.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, and yeah I usually go thf/drk.

I'll probably end up with the Behe +1 for now and camp Xolotol a bit.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

lol the drop rate of P harpe is insane, you'd get enough money to buy harpe by the time P harpe drop.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Yeah I actually bought a Harpe like 2 hours after I made that last post...

Still gonna camp Xolotol, but as anyone in my linkshell can probably tell you, I'm quite the unlucky person.

On a related note, whats the approximate drop rate on a weapon from requiem of sin?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

This is sidetracking the thread a bit but in merit pts, if you had a Harpe, Blau Dolch, Sorroco, what would be the best setup? I was under the impression that you wanted to have a high dmg dagger (Harpe) in your main hand and a low delay dagger in your off hand (BD).

When I talked to another THF in my linkshell they said that BD main hand was the way to go, so I wanted to get some take from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Secksi
    On a related note, whats the approximate drop rate on a weapon from requiem of sin?
    Approximately never. You'd have better luck making one out of Autumnstones than getting it to drop from the BC.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

harpe/blau or blau/sirocco... someone parsed it a while back and it was really close. Think Harpe/blau came out slightly ahead?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My favorite combo was blau/BK+1

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Secksi
    Hm, still pretty split then haha.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, and yeah I usually go thf/drk.

I'll probably end up with the Behe +1 for now and camp Xolotol a bit.
    i was kidding about the merc kris part