Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Random Question Thread

I don't know about you guys, but there's alot of stuff I've wanted to ask and with this forum I hope we can answer these.

FFXI Wiki can sometimes be wrong, but Blade: Ku is STR_10 and DEX_10 right? The whole random mod thing was disproven?

How do modifiers on BLU spells work? Like Bludgeon is apparently CHR_30 would it be better to stack STR or CHR for it? Does STR affect physical Blue Magic the same way it effects physical WS? Does attack factor into Blue Magic at all?

Errant Body or Igqira Weskit for Aspir? Does it even matter? What is Aspir's formula anyway?

Elemental Seal stack w/ Magical Blue Magic? (wtf lol that sounds bad)

Is Conserve MP really a 25% base activation rate? Does this hold true even when you're /BLM? Does being main job BLM increase the amount of MP conserved? Do items that enhance Conserve MP effect just the activation rate or MP conserved?

Re: Random Question Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    Errant Body or Igqira Weskit for Aspir? Does it even matter? What is Aspir's formula anyway?
    Errant Body, MAB does nothing for aspir. But it doesn't much matter, and Aspir's formula is basically (some value between 0 and 120) * staff bonus * day/weather bonus

Yes, and yes there's no way to say 'magical blue mage magic' without sounding dumb

Tonko

How do modifiers on BLU spells work? Like Bludgeon is apparently CHR_30 would it be better to stack STR or CHR for it? Does STR affect physical Blue Magic the same way it effects physical WS? Does attack factor into Blue Magic at all?
    Attack means nothing for BLU Magic (so far that is. Defence modifies Cannonball, so maybe Attack modifies one weird spell no one uses.)

Bludgeon seems to gain equal damage from equal amounts of CHR or STR. Hard to test because it's a multi hit spell, and SA Bludgeon never seems to do consistant damage on Lv 1 Bunnehs (yes I know only the first hit lands)

When in doubt, stack STR, unless is lowers a modifier for the spell. I get better damage from Custom M Gloves vs. Pallas's for Sickle Slash with a Dex_50 modifier.

Elemental Seal stack w/ Magical Blue Magic?
    Yeah it does, Elemental Seal + Bad Breath is quite fun.

Nashira Manteel. Stack as much dark skill as you can for drain and aspir, it's the only thing that seems to affect it. Plus the haste can't hurt either.

Is Conserve MP really a 25% base activation rate? Does this hold true even when you're /BLM? Does being main job BLM increase the amount of MP conserved? Do items that enhance Conserve MP effect just the activation rate or MP conserved?
    Based on no actual formal testing, just my experiences from playing BLM for 3 years: 25% activation rate is way high. Formal test results I've seen are in the 10% range, and while it does seem to kick in reasonably often as BLM main, it's certainly not 1/4. Being BLM main does increase the number of Conserve MP traits, which then increases how much you save. Stacking Conserve MP items (relic shoes, magnetic earring) does not seem to help activation rate, only amount saved. When thundaga 3 goes off for 100ish mp or less it's a beautiful thing, but not anything you can rely upon.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I wear whatever body piece I happen to be in until I get Nashira Manteel. I haven't noticed any significant differences, but I also haven't done any serious testing. Usually I'm casting Aspir in Igqira, errant pretty often, and very rarely in Sorcerer's Coat. With AF2 gloves / torque / Diabolos's Pole / AF1 pants / Nashira turban for acc & haste my Dynamis Aspirs tend to fall in the 90-150 range.

Regarding the BLU question, attack does not affect spells at all, and I am 90% sure that mods are not taken into account unless you use Chain Affinity. Reason for my thinking is that even if you use CA with 0 TP, you will do a lot more damage than without CA. Since you won't get a TP mod, something else has to be boosting your damage.

I believe this is explained by the secondary attributes being doubled during Chain Affinity, if I read VZX's info correctly.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko
    Attack means nothing for BLU Magic (so far that is. Defence modifies Cannonball, so maybe Attack modifies one weird spell no one uses.)

Bludgeon seems to gain equal damage from equal amounts of CHR or STR. Hard to test because it's a multi hit spell, and SA Bludgeon never seems to do consistant damage on Lv 1 Bunnehs (yes I know only the first hit lands)

When in doubt, stack STR, unless is lowers a modifier for the spell. I get better damage from Custom M Gloves vs. Pallas's for Sickle Slash with a Dex_50 modifier.
    To break it down, just write fSTR / fSTR2 as secondary modifier term
    fSTR = STR_16.66...% ~ STR_25%
    fSTR2 = STR_33.33...% ~ STR_50%

Then write your secondary modifier multiplied by level correction. For example :
    CHR_30% at 75 is equal to 0.83*CHR_30% = CHR_24.9%

You can easily compare them in term of one measurement for base damage, but not the +1 attack bonus given by every 2 STR

so basically the base damage increase by using CHR in high level is comparable and more stable to fSTR. But you get 1 attack for every 2 STR
    (well of course, in blue magic, physical attack doesn't affect your damage)

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

If I equip a weapon with accuracy in my sub hand does the accuracy carry over to my mainhand weapon?

Does it work the other way around? (With the accuracy bonus in the main hand)

Is this true for critical hit rate+% weapons?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If I equip a weapon with accuracy in my sub hand does the accuracy carry over to my mainhand weapon?

Does it work the other way around? (With the accuracy bonus in the main hand)
    uhh.... yes. Why do you doubt it's not ?

Is this true for critical hit rate+% weapons?
    I think there just has been recent hot debate on blu forum whether dissector affects critical of blu spells or not... and then leading to whether crit+ of dissector affect the other hand weapon (the answer is not)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

You'll have to forgive me, I've never leveled a melee job past 40 before so I'm not sure how most stuff works and I would like to make sure of everything D:

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I only have 1 job at 75 and the second highest, subjob, being at 37 D:

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I only have two and they're both mages
    Only recently got my second too cause Sonomaa threatened to ban me from the forums if I didnt get 75BLM before the new year

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You'll have to forgive me, I've never leveled a melee job past 40 before so I'm not sure how most stuff works and I would like to make sure of everything D:
    What are you talking about? RDM is a melee job.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, since this is a random question thread, maybe I can join in? D:

As far as modifiers go, would Shura Haidate or Byakko's Haidate be better for Blade: Jin?

(I don't have the Shura to test, and I don't want to waste time/gil if I don't have to.)

Byakkos.

15 DEX is three times the STR on Shura, and unlike other secondary modifiers, DEX on blade jin actually helps out with damage quite a bit. STR may be used more in the whole formula, (3 times? depending if you matched mobs vit yet?), but from what I've seen and parsed between the two (I have both), Byakko's was much better and consistent. Acc on them is basically the same, so thats a moot point.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Errant body for Aspir unless you have the option of anything with Dark Magic Skill+ in which case use that.

No idea on the BLU stuff.

On the Conserve MP, there are so many supporters of it and think its a good trait however math continuously puts them down. I will tell you right now that Conserve MP is a largely useless trait that if you upgrade it will make Jesus drown a puppy. Now that that is said, here's a link to possibly the longest and most drawn-out n00by conversation ever on the Conserve MP trait. I took a strong stand on it and they thought they'd omgkarmabomb but who cares... just look at some of the supporters vs all the guys with math and you'll see why.

Alla Convo

*Edit* I'll add the basics of Conserve MP.

There is a 25% (about) chance that it will proc.

Should it proc, you then have a chance at it shaving off either 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 of the MP cost.

Note that in all the literally thousands of tests done the overal MP was approx 6% in a standard weskit unless you really agree with these people in saying that AFv2 Feet are better for use in a lot of situations than Yigit. In 23,000 MP in one test, he saved a total of 1532 MP. The funny thing is everyone looked at that and saw "omg I saved 6% and 1500 MP?!?!".

They don't notice the "23,000 total" added on there meaning even if you are a taru and merited MP to lv 8 you still used around 23 entire MP bars for an average savings of 15MP per entire bar (meaning you got 15MP more than the guy next to you yet you both have to now rest to full since your MP is down around 30 and 40, gg). Can it proc more? yeah you can get lucky but there's a post I made in that 3 page long dunce-thread that links every test I could find, which totalled literally hundreds of thousands of MP used and thousands upon thousands of casts and the savings are so small its pathetic.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

whats IBTL mean <.<, i saw random question and i thought i should post here :3

In before the lock

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I don't know about you guys, but there's alot of stuff I've wanted to ask and with this forum I hope we can answer these.

FFXI Wiki can sometimes be wrong, but Blade: Ku is STR_10 and DEX_10 right? The whole random mod thing was disproven?

That one been bugging me for a long time. >.>

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 147 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast