+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I have both, and been playing both eventually. till i started to use custom firmware and play PSX games on my PSP, never looked back at my DS again lol.

There are some cool games coming on the PSP like FF:tactics, FF7: crisis core, new castlevania, rachet and clank, and more. There are rumors that devil may cry might make it to PSP also.

Edit: forgot to mention that there is a perfect GBA emu on the PSP that was released few months ago. So yeah.... lol and they are working on a N64 emu lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I got a DS since launch, swapped it for a Lite when it came out, never regretted.

I bought a PSP since the announcement of Popstation, never regretted.

DS has fun games, PSP is a portable emulator.

And watching movies on DS makes you cry.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

They're both really worth it if you go the extra mile to hack them.

DS has quite a few good games, and if you get a flash cart you can just try different things out until you find something cool. Having a bunch of DS+GBA games in one cart is win too.

DS has a pretty good RPG selection, and the SNESFFAdvances are also total win.

PSP is also good, I don't own one yet, but having a portable psx emu is fucking win, even if the psp itself has mostly shitty games. (imo ._. not much on it really interests me)

If you're not going to hack them, DS will probably be overall better, but you'll have to be careful not to buy shitty games, cause there's a lot of trash out there too. -_- (hi2u lunar)

I never even looked twice at a PSP until just last month when 3.03OE was released, essentially firmware with a built in PS1 Emulator. As stated in a few other posts, i am loving my PSP now.

To give you an idea... here is what I am currently playing on it:

• Chili Con Carnage
    • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    • Winning Eleven: Pro Evo 2007
    • Loco Roco
    • Super Mario RPG
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Terranigma
    • Super Mario All Stars
    • Final Fantasy Tactics
    • Xenogears
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Vagrant Story

I have also modded a few things, here is my original XMB/Theme.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/PSPTheme.jpg

I have also changed it so that the Network Update now says "Reboot PSP" and instead of connecting to Wifi to search for Updates, it will power down the PSP.

Anyway, that is where i am at, and why i don't regret getting a PSP at all... but... i still may get a Onyx PSP as well. =)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I bought a PSP just for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, that game is just awesome. :D countless hours of gameplay online and offline

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

DS is fun when the top screen works.

DS by far... I think it sold the most in the industry in 2006 as far as consoles/hand helds goes. I beileve it sold about 10 million. I forget how many the PSP sold, but nowhere near that many.
    I had a psp for a short time and all it was was a dust collector.
    I go and get a DS and cannot put it down. The DS actually has new games come out for it, while all the PSP did was port PS2 games. There is really only 1 worthwhile release for it - MGS Portable Ops... while the DS has:
    NSMB, 2 brand new castlevanias (both awesome, especially Dawn of Sorrow), FF3, plus the entire GBA catalog which has countless good games.
    It really is a no brainer.

Woot Post Whore

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    NSMB, 2 brand new castlevanias (both awesome, especially Dawn of Sorrow), FF3, plus the entire GBA catalog which has countless good games.
    True, and i do realize this is apples and oranges... but there is a great GBA Emu for PSP. Like i said, apples and oranges, and truth be told... reading a bit about the DX Xtreme has me even more excited about purchasing a DS now >.>;

Plus doing that risks bricking your system.
    I didn't even mention the whole lolinnovation of the DS being the touch screen. Most games it is only gimmicky, but my little sister has Nintendogs, and just seeing that is cool.
    Go ahead and make 15 GTA3 ports on PSP, and try to play Call of Duty on it, I'll stick to all the great upcoming DS games.
    And to those who say FFT and Rondo of Blood, DS also has a new Dragon Quest game coming out.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

the DS is great for original games, the PSP is great for emulation, like everyone else said.
    that being said.. if you only wanna spend $250 and never spend any more again... get a DS.
    buy NDSL, then a flashcart/mem stick for $125.... download the games.. and you are good to go...

PSP: downgrade then upgrade to 3.10oe-a.. and you can play PSX games and other stuff. (make sure you get a good mem stick.)

That being said. if you have only $250 to spend, get a DS & flash cart. if you have $350+ to spend... get a PSP and big memory stick.

And if you cant decide, flip a coin.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

I never leave without my PSP since I upgraded it to play psx games. FF9 FF8 Xenogears.... theres always something to do while you are stuck in traffic ;x

<.< Probably not the safest thing lol. And again I stress, if you want to pay 250+ (system+mem card) to play 10 year old games, that alone says a lot about the system.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

<.< Probably not the safest thing lol. And again I stress, if you want to pay 250+ (system+mem card) to play 10 year old games, that alone says a lot about the system.
    So basically what you are saying is 10 year old games are no longer worth playing on a handheld? sorry but I havn't played any great games in a long time on a hand held and yes, I own a NDS too.

I am not saying at all that those games aren't worth playing on a handheld. I'm saying paying 250-300 to play 10 year old games on a handheld is assanine. It is cool if other good games come out for the system, and you can actually use it for what it was made for, AND in addition to that play old FF's, Xeno, etc. But paying that much to solely use it for that until whenever these games come out, retarded.
    Hell that is twice the price of the current PS2, and almost buys you a core 360, give me a break.

I think Po's underlying point is, the PSP is full of Ports and sub-par games. For the most part I agree with that 100%.

There are however games on either system (strictly speaking out of the box consoles no tinkering) that have my interest.

PSP
    ~ Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - The Zelda: TP of the PSP =P
    ~ Loco Roco - is just pure silly, good pick up and put down fun.
    ~ Chili Con Carnage - again... just silly fun.
    ~ Valhalla Knights - On the fence here, looks... interesting, but i am gonna wait on it.
    ~ The Warriors - Again, will have to check this out, but i am interested.
    ~ The GTAs - Deserve some playtime.
    ~ Ratchet & Clank - I have never been a fan of the series, but i hear great things.
    ~ Castlevania: Dracula X
    ~ FFVII: Crisis Core
    ~ And of course, port with shiny new CSs or not... FFTactics could have sold me alone.

DS
    ~ It is cute.
    ~ Hotel Dusk
    ~ Phoenix Wright
    ~ FFTA II
    ~ Lunar Knights
    ~ Spore DS
    ~ Animal Crossing?
    ~ The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    ~ Lost in Blue 1 & 2

So sure I am leaving out a lot of games (most likely from the DS side of things) but both do have some perks, it is just a matter of what you like and where you want to go with the system once it is in your hands.

i own a DS myself and am pretty happy with it, especially since i can affordably import games

OP mentioned Pokemon Diamond/Pearl which i myself am surprisingly also really looking forward to, anyone know somewhere where and when i could preorder a copy that ships to the UK? my usual source of imports doesn't have it available so i thought maybe somebody here may already have preordered

EDIT: one thing i've heard from other people who said they want to get a DS, say that most of the games are "kiddy games"

Point is, all that is fine, and it is an un-biased look at the whole argument, which I respect, but the only game worth playing on the PSP that is currently out is Portable Ops (in the grand scheme of things, maybe to you there is more).
    Both GTAs have been ported to PS2 (VCS coming in March), and the rest is just lulz.. to the general public, again currently out.
    DSL easily has 5-10 games anyone would want to play when you walk into a game store that would be fun for anyone in different genres.

DSL easily has 5-10 games anyone would want to play when you walk into a game store that would be fun for anyone in different genres.
    Which is why i will also be getting a Onyx DSL soon =)

Quote Originally Posted by Helpoemer
    anyone know somewhere where and when i could preorder a copy that ships to the UK? my usual source of imports doesn't have it available so i thought maybe somebody here may already have preordered
    Game UK?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I own both and I like the PSP more, just for the fact I can play all the PSX FFs on it.

But since I just got the DS, I'm trying to play through FF3... so they're both good heh... but like I said earlier, if you know what you're doing with the hacked homebrews, go with a PSP (if you like your PSX games that is... if you want original handheld titles, go with a DS because they got the obviously better selection of games.)

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    I own both and I like the PSP more, just for the fact I can play all the PSX FFs on it.
    Gogo 300 dollars for a portable PSX. Why dont you go on that guys blog who makes systems into portables and I bet he would make a PSX into a portable for cheaper than the PSP and all these memory sticks. Such a waste.
    If money matters to you OP, then get a DS. If you want to play original, good games, get a DS. If you want to spend 300 dollars on a portable playstation 1 emulator, get a PSP.
    This is retarded.