Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quick Question regarding Fafnir/Nidhogg

Does the +5% Magic Damage from Jelly Ring effect Fafnir/Nidhogg's breath attacks?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I'm not a tank, and I don't own a jelly ring, but I believe the answer is yes.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thank you kind sir, now I can finish my thread.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, I wouldn't be too sure. There are several armor pieces that have specific "Breath Damage Taken" reductions. (Crimson Scale Mail for example.) If it is listed separately from "Magic Damage Taken", I would imagine that it is a different type of damage.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Direct magic damage increase or reduction WILL affect breath attacks, but magic defense bonus won't.

I'd be interested in seeing data that supports that assertion.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    I'd be interested in seeing data that supports that assertion.
    Go test at mamool ja staging point with skoffins, pretty easy to see. Have 2+ people stand in front of the wyvern, one with MDB(easiest to see with a blu, MDB trait + saline coat is like 50 MDB, and it doesn't do jack), one without, than one with a jelly ring or magic -% gear and one without. If people are all standing right in front of the wyvern, the damage dealt to players before counting +/- % magic damage will be constant, barring an obvious resist of coarse.

Wyrm breaths may work work differently, but I very much doubt it, since all other breath attacks in the game work the same way, from crawlers, to raptors, to blue magic and even dragoon's wyverns.

I'm with the MDB part, if anything I doubt the magic damage +/-% part. Most of all though, I just assumed you had or could link data to backup what you said so emphatically and I was interested in seeing it out of a genuine interest in the subject. You can go to mamool ja staging point and eat radiant breath and post here, though.

Even if it does, it won't really matter unless you're not standing where you should be.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaire
    Even if it does, it won't really matter unless you're not standing where you should be.
    Except for people playing the Extreme Breath Challenge...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Dragonmaw

elison kills little babies

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaire
    Except for people playing the Extreme Breath Challenge...
    In which case you would want to wear this ring, in hopes that it would up the damage you take.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Actually, I think the answer might be no. The easiest way to test this out would be on Kirin though. His Heat Breath caps out at 500 iirc, and the damage is mostly a function of:
    - Angle of the breath
    - HP of the monster
    And then
    - Resists

It's been a while since Heat Breath has even hit me straight on, or since I've even been Ninja at Kirin, so I really don't remember if magic damage % gear affected breath or not. I think the answer is no, and I could get hit for 500 damage when wearing merman's rings. Therefore, Jelly Ring wouldn't increase breath damage.

Oh, but I am totally certain MDB does not affect breath attacks, Shell or no Shell makes no difference. Also should note that aerial attacks by Wyrms are /not/ breath attacks. They're pure magical damage.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sci
    Actually, I think the answer might be no. The easiest way to test this out would be on Kirin though. His Heat Breath caps out at 500 iirc, and the damage is mostly a function of:
    - Angle of the breath
    - HP of the monster
    And then
    - Resists

It's been a while since Heat Breath has even hit me straight on, or since I've even been Ninja at Kirin, so I really don't remember if magic damage % gear affected breath or not. I think the answer is no, and I could get hit for 500 damage when wearing merman's rings. Therefore, Jelly Ring wouldn't increase breath damage.

Oh, but I am totally certain MDB does not affect breath attacks, Shell or no Shell makes no difference. Also should note that aerial attacks by Wyrms are /not/ breath attacks. They're pure magical damage.
    Couldn't you test this out with a Blue Mage in Ballista since their breath attacks have standard formulum?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Sci
    It's been a while since Heat Breath has even hit me straight on, or since I've even been Ninja at Kirin, so I really don't remember if magic damage % gear affected breath or not. I think the answer is no, and I could get hit for 500 damage when wearing merman's rings.
    That might be because Kirin heat breath should be doing well over 500, but it is capped at 500 somehow, wyrms might work the same way. I will test to double check in ballista as blu next time I get the chance.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Kirin's heat breath does 5% more damage when wearing jelly ring. It always does 500 if you're standing directly in front of it so it's pretty easy to test.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Couldn't you test this out with a Blue Mage in Ballista since their breath attacks have standard formulum?
    Ballista has different damage rules at times, and adjusts for levels in various ways. So I usually just like to think of monsters that tests could easily be run on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nchabazam
    Kirin's heat breath does 5% more damage when wearing jelly ring. It always does 500 if you're standing directly in front of it so it's pretty easy to test.
    If that's the case, then I remembered incorrectly, and mag dmg % does affect breath attacks. Next time my LS does Kirin though, I'll try to remember to test it. Could be a couple of months though heh. I remember having a discussion with someone trying to convince me that aerial attacks by wyrms and Bahamut's giga/mega/tera flares were all breath attacks... And I had to point out the differences between magic attacks and breath attacks, and went and got proof better than. "Hay it comes out of there mouth so its a breath attack!"

At any rate, the only wyrm breath attack that matters much at all would be Vrtra's though. And that's because a lot of people kite it and it can position itself directly at the kiter so they take full damage.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Xfaustx
    elison kills little babies
    No, you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nchabazam
    I'll test this soon and post results.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Dragonmaw

do not.

your thread got locked pretty fast btw.

test it good and hard.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Xfaustx
    do not.

your thread got locked pretty fast btw.

test it good and hard.
    Yeah, tear ; ;. That Fafnir picture was so hardcore, though.