+ Reply to Thread
    Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Annoying problem when opening files.

First off, this only happens when I try to File -> Open something within a program (not just double-clicking on a file like the thread title suggests).

I try to File -> Open something and the program I'm trying to do it in freezes! Such programs include Daemon Tools, ConvertXToDVD, and VLC. Thing is, everything was hanky-dory a week ago. =( I've tried restarting and opening files with no other programs running and that didn't fix anything. Sometimes even when I'm browsing for the file (within the File -> Open window), the program freezes.

I'm ruling out re-downloading the program, because it has worked before, so it's not an installation issue.

Halp. =(

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sounds like your page file or master file table could be corrupted perhaps? Try defragmenting your HDD and then see if that helps.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Also could be the first signs of problems with your Hard drive. If SMART is enabled in your BIOS, you should be able to see any errors in the Event Viewer in W2k or XP.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro
    Sounds like your page file or master file table could be corrupted perhaps? Try defragmenting your HDD and then see if that helps.
    Yeah, I thought of defragmenting my HDD, and when I analyzed it, there's a HUGE chunk of red. Thing is, when I try to use the Windows Defragmenter it says it needs 15% HDD space to run, and I only have 13% free. So, I did some searching for some other defragmenters (since I heard the Windows one was pretty basic at best). I came across PerfectDisk and Diskeeper. I downloaded/installed PerfectDisk, and everytime it hits 100% on the analyze, it restarts my PC. So, I'm just now downloading Diskeeper and I'll see if that works.

I did a full system virus scan, and nothing came up. Did a full system spyware scan, came up with 21 tracking cookies, and those are now deleted (but I highly doubt they were the cause of this problem).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Diskeeper is good, stick with that one if you can.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro
    Diskeeper is good, stick with that one if you can.
    Yeah, it's probably the best around.

Also, 13% free space is essentially "full"...as you need lots of work room for temp files and the like. Once you get to like 30% free space, then it gets fragmented like whoa because it can't cache files out to move them around.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, Diskeeper seems to have cleared up some of the mess. Daemon now opens files (after a 5-10 second freeze), I haven't tried VLC, and ConvertXToDVD opens the first file, but crashes when I try to add a second.
    Under "File Structure" that big red section is still there, but under "File Performance" that red turns to blue. I guess it's good that they're performing correctly, but I'm bothered that they're still fragmented (I think?).

And as a bit of a side note: I never thought my HDD (320GB on the box, 298GB in the system) ever got to be as full as the program(s) were telling me... I keep good track of what I use and don't use, and delete old things promptly. Sure enough, as it was scanning, I saw a file that was 89GB. I was all !!!! so I went and found what it was and ironically, it was a movie file I created by joining two .avis and never bothered to compress it. I was going to delete it after I made it, but I guess I got sidetracked and forgot. =P Gone now though!

EDIT: After about an hour and a half of messing around, I've come to the conclusion that this has something to do with msyuv.dll. This crash/freezing occurs when I try to add video media to a media player (happened in VLC, Windows Media Player, and QuickTime, but not Winamp). I've replaced my old msyuv.dll with this one, and rebooted, but the problem still persists. I've also played around with some registry cleaners and fixed the junk they spat out at me... so, right now I'm out of ideas. Anyone? =( I really, really, REALLY do not want to reformat... I have a lot of shit on here. =(

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Going to sound stupid here, but did you try system restore? >.> sometimes the easy way works best I guess

Reformat. It's like skinny dipping in the rain. You're scared it'll be horrible, but once you go for it, it's incredibly liberating.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Alright, I'm going to try one more thing before I have to reformat (I'm that desperate). When using System Restore, does anything you've installed since that restore date get deleted? If so, it's not a big deal... I just want to make sure, though. Also, if I move the files I don't want to to be touched to My Documents, System Restore will not touch them right?

I'm going to restore to Feb8, which was the first restore date my PC made (was built in middle-late January), so hopefully this fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Reformat. It's like skinny dipping in the rain. You're scared it'll be horrible, but once you go for it, it's incredibly liberating.
    fucking taru, lol

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Documents /saved files are not removed. The entries in the registry are removed.. but the data is still there. Tis a handy last step before the big FFR (Full F*cking Reinstall)

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    Documents /saved files are not removed. The entries in the registry are removed.. but the data is still there. Tis a handy last step before the big FFR (Full F*cking Reinstall)
    Hmm, that didn't make much sense, heh. So for instance, if I install Program XYZ right now, then do a System Restore back to three days ago, the files of Program XYZ will still be in place, but it won't actually be installed?

Next time I should probably partition my HDD so I have all my system files on one partition, and other files (pretty much everything else) on the other. ><

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    Next time I should probably partition my HDD so I have all my system files on one partition, and other files (pretty much everything else) on the other. ><
    Yes, yes you should. Partitions are win.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

basically the actual data is on the drive... Windows just goes "lalalala I can't hear you" (end result: you'd have to reinstall the application to make the correct entries in the registry)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Plenty of programs don't even need registry entries to run so you might not even need to reinstall.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh, so for instance if I download a single random file (into a directory that isn't My Documents), it won't be deleted? It's just registry stuff? Werd.

I have to beat Hitman Blood Money before I do a restore because I'm afraid of losing my save game. >_>