BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sony loves EU gamers <3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced a hardware revision for its Playstation 3 devices when they launch in Europe on March 23. The European version will have its PS2 chip removed, and software emulation will take over for most of the PS2 functionality. This means that very few PS2 discs will work with the new PS3.

"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," said a spokesperson from Sony. Currently the North American and Japanese models have the PS2 chip installed, which allows them to play 98 percent of old games.

"PS3 is first and foremost a system that excels in playing games specifically designed to exploit the power and potential of the PS3 system," said David Reeves, President of SCEE. "Games designed for PS3 offer incredible graphics quality, stunning gameplay and massively improved audio and video fidelity that is simply not achievable with PS and PS2 games. Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

"Sony is managing expectations by saying now that the new console will play fewer of the old games, and that's a good thing," said analyst Alex Kwiatowski at British market research group Vertical Market Technologies. "I'm as disappointed as the next game player about the reduced backward compatibility, but even the most nostalgic, misty-eyed gamers will have their steely hearts impressed by the new features that PS3 games provide."

Speculation is abound on whether or not this new version of PS3 will find its way to North America next. 1UP contacted Sony Computer Entertainment America for some answers. "We have no announcement regarding any hardware specification changes for PS3 in North America at this time," they were told by a company representative.

Sony will be offering regular downloadable firmware updates from the Playstation Network and via PS3 game discs as of March 23, launch day. However, European gamers will need to hang onto their PS2 systems if they want to continue playing their favorite PS2 games.

Gamers will be able to view a list of titles online that are compatible with the PS3, but the site will not go live until launch. No compatible titles have been announced so far, so it is uncertain what the actual number is. Check back with RPGamer for more information on this story as it becomes available.
    So in short, theyre taking out the PS2 support and still wont be cutting down on the price.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Why are they doing this again?

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

These lolSony posts never get old.

Being entirely serious btw. That grave they're digging for themselves is really deep now.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Seriously... good luck with your european launch, morons.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i found playing ps1 games on my ps2 was what was causing me to go through ps2's like a fat kid and donuts, so maybe this isnt so bad

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Don't worry betamax ftw... Oh wait!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

PS2 sucked at emulating... so did the PS3 until they fixed it, but playing a non-480p and non-widescreen PS2 game on a big screen HDTV kind of sucks.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I have a slew of PS1 games that ive played on my PS2, and it never had a problem. Apperintly the PS3 works somewhat well with emulation now after an upgrade or two, so really, wth is Sony thinking to take a sub 50$ (I hear its 30$) chip out of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    I have a slew of PS1 games that ive played on my PS2, and it never had a problem. Apperintly the PS3 works somewhat well with emulation now after an upgrade or two, so really, wth is Sony thinking to take a sub 50$ (I hear its 30$) chip out of the system.
    Keep selling PS2s to make up for the losses it takes on the PS3.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by RuBP
    Qft

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Quote Originally Posted by RuBP
    Qft
    I mean, not to be the sony basher here, but that would only work if they were selling very well already, when the sales, while 'decent', are really lacking for them to do that. They should be doing more to make them more appealing, not taking away to buy another product, even if it is another sony product.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

The ps3 will sell itself in a few months (or years) once the really good games start to come out. PS2 games are really nice atm.... they are finally reaching their peak atm.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

being able to read all the disc types that it does is what makes the ps2 go out of line and give disc read errors, maybe they're trying to make it last longer? i know my ps3 whenever i finally get one will only be running ps3 games(finally got a wii today and in such a great mood :D )

Bitch bitch bitch....

They are trying to sway developers to stop developing for PS2 and favor the PS3.

Everyone who owns a PS3 allready has a ps2 anyways.

You're lieing if you say you don't lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Is that why? Cause it doesn't happen with normal DVD drives when they read both disc types.

Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    being able to read all the disc types that it does is what makes the ps2 go out of line and give disc read errors, maybe they're trying to make it last longer? i know my ps3 whenever i finally get one will only be running ps3 games(finally got a wii today and in such a great mood :D )
    In such a great mood to play Zelda for the rest of your Wii gamer life.

Granted it is more than the PS3 has to offer at the moment, but that'll change soon.

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

that or they had one before they bought the ps3

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio
    Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    In such a great mood to play Zelda for the rest of your Wii gamer life.

Granted it is more than the PS3 has to offer at the moment, but that'll change soon.
    QFT, I haven't really bothered with the Wii since I finished Zelda (unless I have people over.)

I really hope some good stuff comes out soon because it's beginning to get a little frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Why are they doing this again?
    They cannot supply enough consoles for the demand they pray there is going to be so they figured the best way to rectify that was to make a half assed version and hope that only a fraction of the original I want a PS3 gang actually now want one.

In tomorrows news they are going to anounce they have removed the hard drive and replace it with a 32mb pen drive. this will save Sony £60 but they will only in actual fact knock a tenner of the RRP

And in the day after thats news they are in fact going to announce that they decided Blu Ray was not worth it so the put a 52 * Lite-on cd drive in there instead. :lol: This will knock £150 off the production cost but the price will increase by £30 because they had to employ 7000 more monkeys to replace the drives.

PS3 No thank you I will either buy a Wii. Xbox 360 or maybe even both for the cost of that heap of shite

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Is that why? Cause it doesn't happen with normal DVD drives when they read both disc types.
    I agree with Izembo.

Its partially to due to the fact of the errors he noted, and the fact there are 25 million PS2's out there, and only 1.5 million PS3's. They are trying stabilise the compatability and attract development I'm sure..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast