+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows Vista & FFXI     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Windows Vista & FFXI

Long story short, my HD crashed and I decided to upgrade OS's, after following the guide at the windower forums I managed to get it working and my FPS is normal, but it seems very sluggish in moving around, if that makes any sense. NVIDIA 6X00, Vista says the drivers are up to date, but they're dated to August of '06 so I dunno if thats correct. Anyone who plays FFXI on Vista able to offer insight? 3.20 GHz Pentium D, if that helps.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

NVIDIA has openly admited they were wrong and there are still alot of issues with their Vista drivers, granted it may not be what is causing your problems, just thought you would like to know.

they have a DL that in 1 file has the vista drivers for everything i dled and installed last night and works fine iam using 7950 atm

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.65.html

Release Highlights:

* WHQL Certified driver for GeForce 8800, GeForce 7 series, and GeForce 6 series GPUs
    * Beta driver for NVIDIA SLI™ support for GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS GPUs
    * This driver supports the following features:
    o Single GPU support
    + DirectX 9 support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
    + DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
    + OpenGL support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
    o NVIDIA SLI support
    + DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
    + OpenGL support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
    o PureVideo HD technology
    * DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver
    * If you would like to be notified of upcoming drivers for Windows Vista, please subscribe to the newsletter
    * Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, and known compatibility issues

Release Notes - 100.65

Even current Nvidia drivers have big time problems. Every release gets better but we are still several off from good drivers imo.

http://www.guru3d.com Normally has the latest drivers you can find, but you sometimes have to try a few releases before you get one that does what you want. Mind you these are not "official" nvidia releases.

I went and bought a 7950 GT today, I wanted an upgrade for quite some time and I finally caved in and bought one, as well as a 22" widescreen samsung, playing FFXI in 1680x1050 owns. anyway, I have 28+ FPS in almost every situation, but its still sluggish..I was informed that they will be adding driver support for Vista tomorrow during the update, or something to that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I went and bought a 7950 GT today, I wanted an upgrade for quite some time and I finally caved in and bought one, as well as a 22" widescreen samsung, playing FFXI in 1680x1050 owns. anyway, I have 28+ FPS in almost every situation, but its still sluggish..I was informed that they will be adding driver support for Vista tomorrow during the update, or something to that effect?
    I doubt FFXI support will fix all the driver issues Nvidia has because I see problems with other games on a regular basis.

We can always hope though. I cant really 2box well in Vista either (I have dual 22"s). I get really bad graphics glitches in both windows when I dualbox that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeal
    I doubt FFXI support will fix all the driver issues Nvidia has because I see problems with other games on a regular basis.

We can always hope though. I cant really 2box well in Vista either (I have dual 22"s). I get really bad graphics glitches in both windows when I dualbox that way.
    i can dual box fine with FFXI set to max on both

just tested out the new drivers had little better preformance on FFXI(better then i got on XP oddly enough dual boxed in besiged with np)

ran fear on medium(ganna test it on high and max after my new ram comes in a day or 2) pretty smooth compaired 100.65 drivers loading was rather slow first time i loaded up first lvl but afer that it loaded up quick and smooth from lvl to lvl

these new drivers best so far any luck they will have fully compatable drivers out soon

I get flashing textures on certain armors, such as PLD AF2 body, and Fafnir's neck, if that makes any sense, it could be that I'm playing in 1680x1050 and using edited registry to make my background resolution match that. Or it could be the drivers, NVIDIA 7950GT using those drivers you posted, but it was doing it with the others also. Although if I pan the camera it seems to stop, or move to another place, its still antagonizing. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait it out for fully compatible drivers and then see?

I get flashing textures on certain armors, such as PLD AF2 body, and Fafnir's neck, if that makes any sense, it could be that I'm playing in 1680x1050 and using edited registry to make my background resolution match that. Or it could be the drivers, NVIDIA 7950GT using those drivers you posted, but it was doing it with the others also. Although if I pan the camera it seems to stop, or move to another place, its still antagonizing. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait it out for fully compatible drivers and then see?
    that was happaning to me for a while on both comps with diff graphic cards 1 is ati orther is the 7950 both i get the problem think its from the backround rez i have mine set higher then my forground rez lol

befor i started doin that i dident have the problem