Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Earth Staff and Stoneskin     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level

Earth Staff and Stoneskin

Where does Earth Staff come into the Stoneskin equation? Does it come in at all? I already switch to it when I cast Stoneskin... am I wasting my time?

This is not advanced discussion, and depending on your job, you are better off using Kirin's Pole/Mythic Wand+1/Mistilteinn as MND has the greatest effect on Stoneskin. I believe BLM Stoneskin needs 115ish MND to cap, RDM needs 95ish assuming Enhancing Magic skill is capped.

Vobent

If you're going for ele staff, Water Staff would be best. (4mnd)

Banned.

BG Level

My bad, meant to post in the other section, can a mod move it?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

earth staff wont help your stoneskin until you get hit while wearing it, because im pretty sure if u get hit the -20% dmg checks before it deducts from the damage reduction your stoneskin provides? not 100% positive so correct me if im wrong.

i actually used to switch it in hopeing for a "bonus" of some sort (much like casting earth spells get a bonus when used with the earth/terra's staff) though ive actually been doing some research of my own and putting 1 and 1 together, and i personally have come to the conclusion that it doesnt give a bonus.

now, i have no hard proof of my own conclusion being tested and proven, much like parses that Rkenshin has done with sam/nin/drk or anyone else for that matter, but going back and looking at the equation to determain how much mnd (base + gear = total) one would need to cap the damage stoneskin will actually absorb with said mnd set up (for a 75 taru blm damage cap is 350, assuming no enhancing gear, enhancing is capped, and mnd at 114).

now, basicly for me in a simplified statement of the above, im going off of this equation:

* X = ([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND
    * F is the the amount of damage reduced.

* F = X (if X < 80)
    * F = X * 2 - 60 (if 80 <= X <= 130)
    * F = X * 3 - 190 (if X > 130)

* Caps at 350 damage.

Note, this is multiply not "to the power of."

now seeing as how im hume, my base mnd (/whm) is different from that of a taru, so id obviously need more +mnd from gear inorder to get closer to the total mnd cap for a maximum stoneskin absorbtion.

so, all that being stated, imo using a (HQ)water staff for the +mnd would probably come out over using an earth staff for the possible 10%(15%) bonus for matching spell and staff element.

i am curious though if the spell and staff element does have an effect on something like stoneskin, blink, aquaveil, etc. so testing could be inorder here :wink:

edit: clearity, forgot to specify something.
    also forgot, in way of a recommended staff for a mnd gear swap, id say Kirin's pole would probably be best bet (+10 mnd)

Unless they ninja-changed it in the last 2 years, earth staff doesn't effect stoneskin. I tested it out in fafnir camps, with the super consistant hurricane wing damage.

Banned.

BG Level

Well I guess I won't be doing that anymore! Thanks, I had a gut feeling I was doing something wrong.

Now I got to go and get Kirin's Pole. Up until now, I just ignored it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

i never thought it worked, but I never really cared.

if anyone actually wants to test, goto altepa (probably better if you're not a taru) and cast stoneskin with earth staff, then trigger 1000 needles, then do without

earth staff has no effect on the strength of stoneskin.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

It does nothing. Use Water/Neptune's Staff or Kirin's Pole.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Shoju
    now seeing as how im hume, my base mnd (/whm) is different from that of a taru, so id obviously need more +mnd from gear inorder to get closer to the total mnd cap for a maximum stoneskin absorbtion.
    I always thought Taru had low MND
    Maybe I'm just on drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoju
    I always thought Taru had low MND
    Maybe I'm just on drugs
    Taru has piss-poor MND.

LazyShell
    BG Level

i switch to it when i cast stoneskin! but only because i get enough mnd/enhancing in other slots to have it capped, thus only helps so i take less dmg while casting it. i also switch to af1 body (for rdm) for the -% spell interrupt!

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

Taru has low(est?) MND, along with the well known STR VIT and HP. BUT MY SPINNING SLASHES WILL BE UBER THANKS TO INT MOD THX SE

wooooooops, thats me thinking taru = mage, mage = int, mnd, chr, mp, taru mnd > hume for some retarded reason :X

correction noted!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais
    Taru has piss-poor MND.
    /emo ; ;

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Elemental staffs do not effect the potency, duration, caps or effectiveness of enhancing magic or bard song buffs.

That being said, you should be using MND to enhance your Stoneskin.

Sagacious Sundi

I thought Taru> (or =)Mithra in MND? Or maybe I'm remembering something from the Brady guide. >_>

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious Sundi
    I thought Taru> (or =)Mithra in MND? Or maybe I'm remembering something from the Brady guide. >_>
    Mithra MND is the same as or very similar to Taru MND, but there's enough gear out there for any job with the Enhancing skill to cap Stoneskin, so for that purpose it's pretty much irrelevant.