+ Reply to Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness (Penny Arcade Game)

Uhh..

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4564 the PA Game's trailer recently (I guess) came out and I must say it looks awful. It's immediately reminded me of the shitty Family Guy game or something.

If they would have stuck with cel-shaded graphics (a la Sly Cooper) I think it'd atleast look better. And honestly, how much of a good story can a PA game actually have? Yes their comics can be hilarious, but their news updates and the like are just so mind bogglingly boring that I don't know if I would be able to sit through the dialogue in their game (let alone understand it...).

I think this is also a classic example of people QQing about games they wish they could have, getting the opportunity, then fucking it up. This game honestly looks like crap to me.

What do you guys think?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

So we released the very first trailer for our game last week. Everyone seems to dig the 2D intro and I think most of us can agree that the 3D stuff still has a ways to go. Originally we were just going to drop the 2D flash trailer. It’s a nice intro to the world. We see the “Startling Developments Detective Agency” and we get a feel for how Gabe and Tycho fit into the story. Tycho the learned world traveler reading at his desk with his Tommy gun resting in his lap. Gabe… punching something. We were worried though that people might think this was going to be a 2D game if that’s all they saw. So we decided at the last minute to attach some of the 3D work we’ve got. It’s extremely early and it’s missing some effects like cell shading and a few others.In retrospect we probably should have held of showing it but we were excited and we jumped the gun a bit. We still have a lot of work to do in order to really define the look of the game. If nothing else, the clockwork fruit fucker at the end seems to have struck the right note with most of you so I’m glad we included him in the trailer.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/03/19

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Are they using "source"?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Okay, granted they're fixing some graphics, that's a good thing! But the game itself doesn't seem that great. PA PC Shooter? I just don't understand how it will be good. (Even with the slick graphics that they're supposedly implementing)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I imagine it's a game for fans of the comic. I'm sure it'll be very funny, but the gameplay will probably not be anything to really talk about. They're selling it for only 20 bucks, so you get what you pay for. More tidbits from the news post if you're too lazy to go to the link yourself.

-The game will allow you to create your own custom penny arcade character. This character will join a party with Gabe and Tycho. So you play with PA characters instead of as them.

-The game is a RPG/Adventure. We’ve got no random battles but beyond that the combat takes inspiration from classic RPG's.

-There is no voice acting in the game. I’m not sure we could ever find voices that everyone would like and so we chose to go with text bubbles and character portraits instead.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    Okay, granted they're fixing some graphics, that's a good thing! But the game itself doesn't seem that great. PA PC Shooter? I just don't understand how it will be good. (Even with the slick graphics that they're supposedly implementing)
    Can you imagine a PA game as anything else really but a shooter? If they are using "source", I guess I'll have to break down and get steam. If it's anything like the source game "The Ship" I might be interested.

edit:

"-The game is a RPG/Adventure. We’ve got no random battles but beyond that the cobat takes inspiration from classic RPG's."

bleh...

Tycho looks like an angry muppet.

The 2D part was great though.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It's still real, real early in development. Everything is going to look shitty for a logn while because they've done next to no coding so far, only rough 3d modeling.

If I recall Gabe said you'll create a custom character, and you'll have Gabe and Tycho with you... and that the game will remind you of Kingdom Hearts. I'm guessing you play a custom-made "hero", and Gabe/Tycho/PA Cast play as computer-controlled party members.

It sounds like a good formula, hopefully it can be executed properly. Nevertheless, the game will sell like hotcakes anyway.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I still like the comic, but I'll admit that it got a little hit-or-miss a while back.