+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill Series     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Silent Hill Series

I never really got into this series of games, but I am wondering how they are. How do they stack up to other games in the survival horror genre like RE?
    I remember when SH 4 - "The Room" came out, it was a pretty big deal. Would I be completely lost to start with that one?

Lastly, how does the game compare to the movie?

i played the room, it was pretty cool for a while, but RE 4 was pretty damn kick ass, RE imo is probably the top of those games for sure, but SH when it was new was pretty cutting edge, the movie though, sucked major ass

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Silent Hill 1 and 2 are where it's at. The rest just arnt as good. The Silent Hill games dont really fall back on each other so starting at 3 or 4 doesnt truely matter but it helps to start at one and just get the feel of it. It's not a "omg something just popped out after you" type game like RE is. It's a "Creepy music and you hear shit scratching on the floor around you but you cant see it at all and mother fucker what are those things now?!" type game.

yeah, RE is a little different because you know its coming a lot of the time, SH, fuck lol those scratchy shaking screen all that shit, scary

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I liked SH waaay more than the RE series.

I liked Clock Tower better than both of those too.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

There is still some merit to playing SH 1, but you'll see some of the 'old problems' from the survival horror genre present in it in terms of puzzles difficulty 'where's the damn key!' and control. Still, for atmosphere and creepy lore at every turn the Silent Hill series has no equal. Plus the music OWNS for all four games, regardless of how good a game it is.

Silent Hill 2 is pretty much where the series peaked, IMO. They didn't change much in terms of combat for 3 and 4, just more of the creepy atmospheric mindfucks going on (especially in 4).

4 is probably the weakest of the series, 2 is a 'must buy' and if you liked 2 enough, get 3.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

SH 1 2 and 3 are pure sex...I don't really like to compare both RE and SH series...since they use different ways to portray the atmosphere of fear etc...but both are really good series.

RE and Silent Hill can't really be compared, as they try to scare you in different ways, RE goes for Shocking while SH goes for Disturbing.

You could start on SH4 and not be lost, that game is basically a sub-plot to the actual story. All the games are worth a play, but if you play 3, you should play 1 first.

The movie was a huge bastardization of the games. Visually, it was fantastic, but the damn writer said playing the games would ruin his creativity or some other garbage. The plot loosely followed the plot of the first game.

I could go on and on bitching about the movie, but get the games, they win.

I liked the movie, even if it combined elements from SH 1 and 2 they did it well, it wasn't a bastardization, because I can think of much, much worse. Anyway, movie is worth watching, because it IS good, although like many things it depends on taste (and some people are way to sensitive to the original material).

RE and SH don't compare much because RE pretty much is an on-going story and you somewhat know what to expect, it's way more action based and very loud in terms of gameplay, graphics and explosions (the capcom mantra of blowing up the building you just spent the last 10 hours in exists in almost every RE game).

SH is more of a mind fuck, you don't know what's there and how it's coming to get you, IF it ever gets you. SH 2 is the best, but 3 is pretty solid as well, 1 is pretty dated in terms of gameplay, I'm sure Gfaqs has a script you can read though.

SH movie was ok, nice 2 hours spent being in that world.

Thank god it wasn't made by Uwe Bowel, (yes I f'ed his name for a reason) then that would be a bastardization of a movie (House of the Dead, BloodRayne anyone?)

The SH series freaked me the f out, I bought SH2 played 15 minutes, scared the shit out of me, returned it. (No f'n joke)

SH was the first game where, I rather let someone else play, while I watched.

Creepy noises, the serene music that feels so gentle and eerie at the same f'n time.............. IT's A TRAP!!!!!! (Mind Fuck+1)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I remember jumping out of my seat literally back during the hospital level of SH1.

"Ok now I'm done exploring this whole hospital I can gtfo. *enter elevator* Wtf where did level 4 come from?"

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

I have almost all RE (not the online ver or the first person shooters) and SH games (don't have the room).

Resident Evil is more about the visceral, jolt-scares, and action oriented game. The player has usually a commando-type character with cool weaponry to kick ass.

Silent Hill messes with all of your senses. The whole atmosphere plays a major role too; additionally, it has some gruesome character designs. Plus your character doesn't have any combat training whatsoever... The premise is very interesting too ;o

Minor spoiler about the SH series:In the town, Silent Hill, all of your character's pain, human suffering... their own 'devils' are manifested. For one character the town may be littered with demons. On the other hand, the town also invokes the opposite, for instance: The town for a little girl, which wasn't exposed to negative vibes, and has happy thoughts the town may manifest itself and or w/e desires she might has. Example: cute cats or w/e, you get the point.

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it
    2 things:

1) For those who have seen the movie, why at the end when the mother and daughter return, are they still in the "foggy" version of the world (lack of a better term)? Even after they killed everyone or w/e. It was an interesting ending, but I did not understand it.

2) What is that Saturn game?

The reasoning for them still being in Dark SH can't be thoroughly explained until they finish the sequel, so the only thing that one could go by right now are assumptions. The only thing one could be sure of is they are not dead.

Though, I think the real reasoning for that was to have an excuse to lead up to the sequel. In SH2 the protagonist is looking for his wife, so, there you go.

I liked the movie, even if it combined elements from SH 1 and 2 they did it well, it wasn't a bastardization
    It was a complete bastardization after the first half of the movie. Up until the point Rose meets Dahlia, it was good, but after that.. any semblance to the original game was through the Gans' direction. Roger Avery remorselessly destroyed the plot because he didn't want to play the games.

Gans knew this, and I would like to think that's why he's being credited for having creative input on the sequel's plot, if he ends up not being able to direct it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

http://www.translatedmemories.com/

^
    Awesome site about Silent Hill.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    1) For those who have seen the movie, why at the end when the mother and daughter return, are they still in the "foggy" version of the world (lack of a better term)? Even after they killed everyone or w/e. It was an interesting ending, but I did not understand it.
    This is only my theory...so here it goes.

Remember when Rose and Alissa met and they had a conversation about how Alissa always wanted a loving mother that cares for her? The whole movie was just a test for Rose to see how much she would sacrifice for Alissa/Sharon. At the end Alissa found out how much Rose loved Sharon and she wants that. But she can't become one with Sharon anymore because Sharon already became one herself/separated into another entity therefore at the end Rose told Sharon not to open her eyes so Alissa won't able to get back into her. And...Sharon did...thats why Rose is still in that foggy world because Alissa wanted her to stay.

I was 12 when 1 came out, after I played it I couldnt get to sleep for a couple days. It litterally fucks with you. You think somethings there but when you go to check it out nothings there. Not to mention being chased by Pyramid Head in SH2 is the scariest fucking shit you will ever see.

The movie? I liked it, It had the same freaky feeling to it that the games did.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

i really enjoyed Silent Hill 2 so much so that i went back and played the first and have been a fan ever since. Like others have said its not really the same kind of experience as resident evil where you kinda know what you are getting into. In silent hill you're always like "wtf is gonna be in that building over there" i can appreciate that.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

LOL

I remember playing this game back in HS.

We were playing it at a party and one of the giirls knocked the cord half way through the game and reset it, and of course we had to start all over.

Awesome game for it's time.

I loved the movie for SH too. Thought they mixed it up I could see why the changed some of the things they did for it. And I actually like it more than most of the games-turned-movies.

For sure if you want to experience the hype you should start with the first game. THough I'm sure the graphics will feel outdated, but it'll probably still scare the shit out of you.

I still have to have people play the games for me while I watch as I have a tendancy to throw the controller at the TV screen when I play. :/