+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

If people agree classical music is "intelligent" music, they should agree metal also is. There isn't a big difference between both musically. Yeah, there is a singer, and distortion, but the complexity of the music is kinda similar

My definition of metal doesnt include the angstry garbage rap metal we often hear here tho, talking about european metal mostly >_>

I'll listen to anything that doesn't involve 4-5 minutes of the same fucking riff. I lean more towards instrumental metal though, those loooooooong 12 minute songs are <3.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

\m/

That is all

Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pre-Black Album Metallica = Metal (imo) though everyone has different views of what "Metal" actually is.

Also Metallica's S&M album sounded quite nice. You can't put orchestra to all types of music and have it sound that good. I personally believe it was because Metal is similar to Orchestra/Classical in its composition that it worked that well.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    I'll listen to anything that doesn't involve 4-5 minutes of the same fucking riff. I lean more towards instrumental metal though, those loooooooong 12 minute songs are <3.
    Crimson by Edge of Sanity

40 minute Death Metal song <3

love metal music here, but then again I love most types of music, especially big band and classical. The denser songs just give me more stuff to listen to.

Seems this kinda ties into the idea that most musicians can "hear" multiple parts of a song simultaneously, whereas the untrained ear has to pick out one part at a time

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arlania
    Quote Originally Posted by Obev
    There's plenty of mindless, brain-dead rock fans too... I'd be uneasy about drawing links between musical tastes and intelligence levels. The points about feelings of alienation and music as a release mechanism are valid, but in my opinion the truly intelligent don't listen to the kind of bogus angst-metal perpetuated by Slipknot.
    Slipknot is more "made up" metal. An American style that is utter garbage and made only to make a buck. Real metal, real rock, real music comes from other countries like Europe. Swedish, Finnish and German bands are downright amazing.
    GTFO, all those countries put out just as much bullshit music as the US. Have you ever been to Europe? lol

I would remind you that the entire thrash metal genre sprung up in the US, not to mention groove metal, a la Pantera, southern blues stoner metal, like Crowbar, and that whole grunge scene from the early 90s. Ever heard of Alice in Chains?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    There's plenty of mindless, brain-dead rock fans too... I'd be uneasy about drawing links between musical tastes and intelligence levels. The points about feelings of alienation and music as a release mechanism are valid, but in my opinion the truly intelligent don't listen to the kind of bogus angst-metal perpetuated by Slipknot.
    Slipknot is more "made up" metal. An American style that is utter garbage and made only to make a buck. Real metal, real rock, real music comes from other countries like Europe. Swedish, Finnish and German bands are downright amazing.
    GTFO, all those countries put out just as much bullshit music as the US. Have you ever been to Europe? lol

I would remind you that the entire thrash metal genre sprung up in the US, not to mention groove metal, a la Pantera, southern blues stoner metal, like Crowbar, and that whole grunge scene from the early 90s. Ever heard of Alice in Chains?
    And now look at the scene. US compared to Europe. Anytime a good band comes out in the US it is snatched up sooner or later and turned into a run of the mill money machine. Good metal doesnt sell in the US. R&B and crap sell here now. In Europe at least you have a very large range of bands with which to choose from.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Pick 10 random band no one know from USA, and pick 10 from those countries. You will see how wide is the gap between the music from here and those regions. Yes, there is good band here, and there is bad band over sea, but there is still a big difference.

List 10 world known metal bands from outside of the us period.

Quote Originally Posted by Devek
    Children of Bodom (Finland)
    Nightwish (Finland)
    Dragonforce (England)
    Opeth (Sweeden)
    Amon Amarth (Sweeden)
    Iron Maiden (England)
    Rhapsody of Fire (Italy)
    Arch Enemy (uh... Sweeden?)
    Dimmu Borgir (Norway)
    Cradle of Filth (England)

As far as I know, they're all pretty well-known.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstalker
    Nightwish (Finland)
    Dragonforce (England)
    Opeth (Sweeden)
    Amon Amarth (Sweeden)
    Iron Maiden (England)
    Rhapsody of Fire (Italy)
    Dimmu Borgir (Norway)

Das Ich is pretty well known. I know HIM is well known as well here now. Kamelot is from EU arnt they?

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstalker
    Nightwish (Finland)
    Dragonforce (England)
    Opeth (Sweeden)
    Amon Amarth (Sweeden)
    Iron Maiden (England)
    Rhapsody of Fire (Italy)
    Dimmu Borgir (Norway)

Das Ich is pretty well known. I know HIM is well known as well here now. Kamelot is from EU arnt they?
    Florida

People always think whatever it is they happen to listen to that it is world known :/

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

People always think whatever it is they happen to listen to that it is world known :/
    The band Shadowstalker named are relatively popular on the metal scene. the only one I didnt know was Dimmu Borgir, but I would probably not know everyone in a list of "10" popular NA metal band.

Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarius are also popular band. All those EU band mentioned did tour in NA, japan, EU, so they are still popular enough to have fan everywhere.

If by "popular", you mean stuff you hear about on MTV then it's true none of those (beside Iron maiden) are "popular", however, that's slightly biased imo.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia

If by "popular", you mean stuff you hear about on MTV then it's true none of those (beside Iron maiden) are "popular", however, that's slightly biased imo.

Does MTV even really play music anymore? All I see are crappy "real life dramas".

Also I know Tanzwut and Wumpscut are getting more popular in the US as well as VNV nation. All these bands tour the US every now and then.

might wanna add

Rammstein
    in Flamez
    kittie ( not sure where kittie are from ><)
    in extremo

Children of Bodom.. gawd. I saw them live and went deaf for 5 hours. :<

Old Merits
    BG Level

The band Shadowstalker named are relatively popular on the metal scene. the only one I didnt know was Dimmu Borgir, but I would probably not know everyone in a list of "10" popular NA metal band.

Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarius are also popular band. All those EU band mentioned did tour in NA, japan, EU, so they are still popular enough to have fan everywhere.

Iced Earth is an American band. You were saying?

It's totally and completely retarded to argue that EU music is better than US music just because of where it comes from. Are you fucking for real?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Iced Earth is an American band. You were saying?

It's totally and completely retarded to argue that EU music is better than US music just because of where it comes from. Are you fucking for real?
    It's not where it comes from but more or less the style.

There are very few to no Death and Black Metal bands worth their shit which originated in the US.