+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Quote Originally Posted by Devek
    People always think whatever it is they happen to listen to that it is world known :/
    The band Shadowstalker named are relatively popular on the metal scene. the only one I didnt know was Dimmu Borgir, but I would probably not know everyone in a list of "10" popular NA metal band.

Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarius are also popular band. All those EU band mentioned did tour in NA, japan, EU, so they are still popular enough to have fan everywhere.

If by "popular", you mean stuff you hear about on MTV then it's true none of those (beside Iron maiden) are "popular", however, that's slightly biased imo.
    Iced Earth is an American band. You were saying?

It's totally and completely retarded to argue that EU music is better than US music just because of where it comes from. Are you fucking for real?

Why yes we are for real, thanks for understanding that. Now name some US bands that stand out currently, not awhile ago but right now.

Little tip from germany ;o

if you like "in extremo" or "subway to sally" and other bands in those music direction, you could also try "Schandmaul".

They are not very popular here, but a nice folk-rock band from germany, their songtexts are in german tho and its not realy hard rock, but still nice songs imo.

And the difference between US and EU bands imo is that in US more bands make music just to get popular and get money (not all, but more), while in smaller countries ppl dont realy think about the big money and just make music because they like it which results in the end in better music.

Quote Originally Posted by arlania
    Why yes we are for real, thanks for understanding that. Now name some US bands that stand out currently, not awhile ago but right now.
    If I can only list top sweedish metal bands that I will be unable to name any from the US out currently

Can I put Korn on a list of metal bands? What about murderdolls who originated from the US but mainly tours UK/JP venues and isn't popular in the US? What about mushroomhead? Why couldn't that be considered metal? Why not Marilyn Manson?

Metal is a pretty broad term so.. if I was careful enough in how I defined it I could make a case that all metal bands were from the US

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    Children of Bodom.. gawd. I saw them live and went deaf for 5 hours. :<
    so /jealous

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstalker
    List 10 world known metal bands from outside of the us period.
    Children of Bodom (Finland)
    Nightwish (Finland)
    Dragonforce (England)
    Opeth (Sweeden)
    Amon Amarth (Sweeden)
    Iron Maiden (England)
    Rhapsody of Fire (Italy)
    Arch Enemy (uh... Sweeden?)
    Dimmu Borgir (Norway)
    Cradle of Filth (England)

As far as I know, they're all pretty well-known.
    I'm listening to Nightwish right now. Personally I'd have to agree that music from other countries is far better than what comes out here in the U.S.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

every country puts out their fair share of shite, and music for the masses will reflect that. Theres just about the same amount of amazing acts in europe as opposed to here

I guess it just depends on the type of music.

The thing that stands out in my mind about European metal over American metal is that a lot of it generally has a more melodic/classical approach, (especially power metal bands like Nightwish, Epica, etc.) Probably because they push for music advocacy a bit more over there instead of finding ways to cut programs for the school track team.

It's not simply, "How fast can I play?" and, "Can I really put bass strings on my guitar so I can tune it down to Ab?"

I dunno, maybe I'm just hearing the really bad American metal, but it's always the same thing:

1) Terrible lead "vocalist." I don't want to call it a singer because it's mostly just growling and screaming and bleh.

2) Some guy, (whether he's a good drummer or not is irrelevant) who sounds like he's beating on a drumkit for the first time. Playing away at 160+bpm with double bass drum reminiscient of a machine gun, enough so to scare anyone with Post-traumatic stress syndrome if you turn it up loud enough, (trust me, I did it to a friend, it was fucking funny.)

3) A 2 note riff.

4) etc. etc.

Everyone's heard these shitty metal bands. Are they exclusive to the US? No, but a lot of them come from the US.

Anyway, back to my original point. i don't really like rap, but I have yet to hear any rap from another country that I think is better than US rap. The idea of someone in another country doing a country song kind of scares me.

It really just depends on the genre.

edit- I'll say for the record that I label things specifically as to what's metal and what's rock/alternative/etc. People disagree with me sometimes, but meh.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

It's totally and completely retarded to argue that EU music is better than US music just because of where it comes from. Are you fucking for real?
    Thought it was from England, but it doesnt change anything to my point.

Either way, it's not retarded to say music coming from a region is generally better than music comming from another region. There is trend in music, and if you are too dumb to understand it can create a difference between musical style, than you have serious problem.

You can argue what is better or not, but the level of complexity and diversity in the melody of metal band can be easily compared, and in this case, EU win. Shadowstalker described it better above as to why most band here "suck"

Metal is a pretty broad term so.. if I was careful enough in how I defined it I could make a case that all metal bands were from the US
    It's true metal is broad, but the "first" few metal band were mostly from Europe (Led Zeppelin, Black sabbath, and band like Iron maiden later). Those band have much more in common with the metal from Europe than it has with the techno rap metal that is popular in North america

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arlania
    People always think whatever it is they happen to listen to that it is world known :/
    The band Shadowstalker named are relatively popular on the metal scene. the only one I didnt know was Dimmu Borgir, but I would probably not know everyone in a list of "10" popular NA metal band.

Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarius are also popular band. All those EU band mentioned did tour in NA, japan, EU, so they are still popular enough to have fan everywhere.

If by "popular", you mean stuff you hear about on MTV then it's true none of those (beside Iron maiden) are "popular", however, that's slightly biased imo.

Lamb of God, Dillenger Escape Plan, Black Label Society, System of a Down, Tool, you know what, fuck it, and fuck you. You're making a huge and false generalization, and I'm just here to call bullshit on it.

Don't parade out here your holier-than-thou Euro tastes and strut like some stuffed peacock all high on your oh so eclectic musical tastes, because the fact is that there's great music coming from everywhere, just as there's shit coming from everywhere, which is something that everyone with half a brain realizes.

I tend to notice it at work - the brighter kids listen to less "conventional" music, while the real bottom-enders listen to whatever they're told is trendy at the moment (mainly pathetic Chav-Pop)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Lamb of God, Dillenger Escape Plan, Black Label Society, System of a Down, Tool, you know what, fuck it, and fuck you. You're making a huge and false generalization, and I'm just here to call bullshit on it.

Don't parade out here your holier-than-thou Euro tastes and strut like some stuffed peacock all high on your oh so eclectic musical tastes, because the fact is that there's great music coming from everywhere, just as there's shit coming from everywhere, which is something that everyone with half a brain realizes.
    The members of System of a down are Armenian-Americans. They are however very talented as well as Tool. I would say that all heavy metal bands nowadays coming out of the US grew up listening to bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath as well as others. Yes there is good music coming from everywhere but you cant deny most of it comes out of Europe right now. Look at the way the US is set up. You think you can become a huge gig playing whatever you want? Sure you can pack in a bar maybe, but fact of the fucking matter is unless you get a label you are not going to see the light of day 90% of the time.

Americans dont want heavy metal, Americans want what is popular right now; Rap, R&B, Pop, and some half ass wannabies that play pretend rock and roll. Face it, in America rock is pretty much in a coma slipping off to death. Look at Europe now, they have a ton of great bands over there. You named 5 you saw fit to mention. I believe SS mentioned 10 and we added on more. I dont want to get into a battle of "omg name as many as you can" though so dont take it like that. Im just saying off the tops of our heads it seems we came up with a few more.

Ill stop before this becomes even more tl;dr;dc.

Ill toss out another band. Dreamevil, from Sweden. Amazing band that tours all over.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

If people agree classical music is "intelligent" music, they should agree metal also is. There isn't a big difference between both musically. Yeah, there is a singer, and distortion, but the complexity of the music is kinda similar

My definition of metal doesnt include the angstry garbage rap metal we often hear here tho, talking about european metal mostly >_>
    Staying away from the nation-bashing, because good shit can come from anywhere...

I agree Kaylia, it's the complexity of good metal that I like, along with it's length.

If you can make a metal song that is both 8-10 minutes and non-repetitive (unless the chorus completely kicks ass), but also changes gears several times, you have a winner.

Britney Spears
    The Beetles
    N'Sync
    Dir en Grey
    'Lil John

I like the article. Makes me feel like I'm smarter, just by default :D Yay for false self assurance :D

But as for the whole debate over different nations producing 'better' metal - I think it's rather silly. People have already said it, but it's true that different nations can produce their fair share of good music, as well as crap. It's just that since America is expected to produce the 'best', their music industry is quite naturally scrutinised more than other nations'. Bit narrow-minded to say that America produce crap and Europe tend to produce the best.

America have produced, in my mind, some of the very best bands in the world, and possibly of all time...

But in saying that, I feel some extremely influential bands have originated from Europe, too. Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles; to name a few.

Wtf would Lamb of God be under? Death metal? Their lead singer makes me wet. Such a skinny dude letting out those fucking deep noises is crazy.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

They are Metalcore, not death metal.

Too many metal sub-categories. -_-

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    so /jealous
    don't be, I saw them @ Wacken, horrible sound, crappy live band really.

Quote Originally Posted by Erza
    so /jealous
    You lucked out then. I've seen better for sure, but they were awesome when I saw 'em.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Erza
    so /jealous
    You lucked out then. I've seen better for sure, but they were awesome when I saw 'em.
    saw em twice, gay both times.