Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evasion VS. Evasion Skill     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Evasion VS. Evasion Skill

Alright, evasion vs. evasion skill is something I've never totally understood and its hard to find any concrete information on so decided I come here and see if anyone on BG had anything.

From my own experience evasion skill has always been alot more noticable than simple evasion so I don't believe it works like weapon skill. (1 weapon skill = .9 accuracy which if same rule applied it would be 1 evasion skill = .9 evasion after 200 skill)

Has anyone ever seen any tests on this and have any concrete proof or formulas?

Only thing I've found is from Alla:
    It is somewhat understood that Evasion Skill > Evasion when you discuss which is better.

There is a reason for this.

The law of diminishing returns is applied by the game (it is believed) so that your +Evasion & -Evasion gear total is modified by your AGI and +AGI/-AGI gear and food.

So essentially, if you have +19 Evasion gear you may actually get +17 evasion or +22 evasion (ACTUAL) based upon your total agility. Evasion SKILL modifying equipment does not filter through this process, therefore you can wear Evasion SKILL equipment without having to also use slots for AGI bonus gear so as to not lose your bonus to evasion.

To put it simply: EVASION SKILL > EVASION

If anybody is interested in the formula, here it is:

(NATURAL AGILITY+AGILITY BONUS)*.05 = AGIMODIFIER
    SQRT(EVASION BONUS) * AGIMODIFIER = TRUE EVA BONUS
    NATURAL EVASION + TRUE EVA BONUS + EVASION SKILL BONUSES = ACTUAL EVASION

In before 'lolevasion' and 'get a haste build'

My nin is only 61 so I'm capped at 8% haste and earring choices is kinda "meh". Melody Earring +1s provide +12 evasion skill which by that formula is equal to about 25 evasion which is a nice boost.

Also, even if it doesn't really peak your interest, its nice to know how these stats work does it not?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

From my experience, what you quoted is about correct. I personally feel like I get more benefit out of Evasion + AGI than Evasion Skill; Evasion Skill gear is hard to come by and typically takes up slots I like to have other things in. You can stack on plenty of Evasion + AGI with just SH + S. Kote.

Oh I'm not claiming it's not nice to know how these things work, but just anticipating the posts to come. The "agi modifies your evasion" thing sounds a lot like claims that "dex is the cup and acc is the water" or whatnot. I'd not trust that, but maybe it's just an anti-allakhazam bias on my part. That thread on maat's cap/crit cap/whatever makes me wonder if there might have been a kernel of truth in that theory all along.

It is however safe to say that evasion skill is better than evasion, but with how random the game can be on things like this creating a real formula seems not only impossible but kind of pointless. I think Byakko's missed my white mage more often than exp monsters missed my ninja.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

I believe it's "pique" not "peak."

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu
    From my experience, what you quoted is about correct. I personally feel like I get more benefit out of Evasion + AGI than Evasion Skill; Evasion Skill gear is hard to come by and typically takes up slots I like to have other things in. You can stack on plenty of Evasion + AGI with just SH + S. Kote.
    Long time no see boss D:

Retired my ass >_>

IMO

Evasion skill increase the cap at which you can evade.
    Evasion+ helps you get to that cap.

I think of it like a STR\Attack relationship.

Old Merits
    BG Level

that's a mute point

Quote Originally Posted by aru
    that's a mute point
    dude ur a fucking mute point

I thought is was a moo point? It's like a cows opinion.... its moo.

EDIT: Ding Puppetmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Obev
    The "agi modifies your evasion" thing sounds a lot like claims that "dex is the cup and acc is the water" or whatnot. I'd not trust that, but maybe it's just an anti-allakhazam bias on my part. That thread on maat's cap/crit cap/whatever makes me wonder if there might have been a kernel of truth in that theory all along.
    AGI definitely modifies evasion.
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2...evasionii2.jpg

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tieffy Wieffy
    FFXIV Server
    Gungnir
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Mathaios
    I thought is was a moo point? It's like a cows opinion.... its moo.

EDIT: Ding Puppetmaster.
    Friends quote ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    The "agi modifies your evasion" thing sounds a lot like claims that "dex is the cup and acc is the water" or whatnot. I'd not trust that, but maybe it's just an anti-allakhazam bias on my part. That thread on maat's cap/crit cap/whatever makes me wonder if there might have been a kernel of truth in that theory all along.
    AGI definitely modifies evasion.
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2...evasionii2.jpg
    I meant on players. Like the 10 eva on your scorpion harness is less if you don't have the AGI to back it up, or some bullshit like that.

I meant on players. Like the 10 eva on your scorpion harness is less if you don't have the AGI to back it up, or some bullshit like that.
    Ah, I see. Well, I assume the relationship between AGI and Evasion is similar if not identical between players and monsters, but the equations in the allakhazam post do look like a bunch of made-up crap to me, too. I'd be willing to bet it's 2 AGI >> 1 Evasion same as all the other melee stats, and it wouldn't take much testing to verify that if that's in fact the case.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I don't really get where you are going. Quite a few people have researched Evasion and noticed that AGI modifies Evasion. You don't have any research on it and are just writing it off as bullshit because...?

NIN already have naturally high AGI. I don't believe that Evasion if half as good as Evasion Skill without lots of AGI gear, maybe a little bit less, but it's easier to find Evasion gear.

I think that it boils down to, either build Evasion Skill or Evasion + AGI. Just don't do something stupid like AGI only.