+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a new laptop     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I need a new laptop

The reasons I need one:
    I'm going to school in August. I need a laptop that's pretty lightweight and easy to carry around. I just need it for school stuff - no games or anything like that. Some room to carry music on it would be sweet but other than that, just school stuff - Microsoft office, wireless, etc.

What I already have:
    Now I already have a Dell Inspiron E1505, with a nice video card, plenty of hard drive space, big screen. This is my home computer - and why I don't really need a new laptop Problem is it is a big, heavy computer. It is only one year old - which means it's kinda greedy to buy a new laptop - but considering the fact I am taking out 60k a year in student loans, what's an extra grand or two, really?

What's important to me:
    I'm hoping to keep it cheap - because I am paying for it in the end - and I hope to do that by keeping it bare bones. But I do understand that lightweight systems are $$$$. I am more considered about the actually largeness of the system (height, length) than weight, though I don't want it to be heavy either.

So to sum it up:
    Size needs to be small
    Weight needs to be light
    Extra Hard drive space = optional
    Price needs to be cheap
    No need for anything other than something that can access wireless internet, run school applications.

Any suggestions?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

on average, dell laptops are notorious for shoddy components that fail after like 1.5-2.5 years. i would recommend ibm/lenovo thinkpad x-series if you want something small/light... it's gonna cost you a bit more but you're also more likely to have it last for 4 years.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

lol, Nice sig

My MBA program will last until May of 2009 - so I don't need this computer to last forever. In fact, it'll mean less wear and tear on my nice Inspiron so I will be able to use that one for a bit longer I'm guessing.

I'm not looking to get a nice computer, or spend a lot. I want a lightweight computer that's easy to carry around and can handle the rough handling for 2 years, while being able to meet my needs, which are pretty light.

Paying for brand names is not something I'm interested in. If Lenovo can get me a lightweight for cheap, then great.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

What do you consider cheap? I recently bought a X60s laptop for $1200ish with the cheapest HDD and RAM I could get then upgraded those from parts off newegg.

If price is that important, just buy from Dell when they have a sale/coupons type deal. Or check sites like fatwallet/slickdealz etc for cheap laptop deals that pop up from time to time.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I guess anywhere in the 1000-1500 range would be cool. It's hard to justify spending over that when I already have a laptop.

Is Dell the only one that'll be hitting in this range? What are the others going to be?

Personally when it comes to laptops, I've always like Fujitsu. They make super solid laptops with a lot of features and they're one of the few companys that don't offer many laptops with modular bays(I HATE laptops that you have to hotswap CD-Roms and Floppys, etc because they always break).

They also have a bunch that are within your price range.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecomme ... =Notebooks