BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Accuracy at High Levels

This question is coming from somebody that knows very little about melee mechanics, but I'm hoping someone can give me an answer.

Lots of people talk about reaching the accuracy cap of 95%, particularly in the case of multi-hit weaponskills (Rampage being the big one), because of how low a probability it is that all hits actually connect.

Take any random Level 80 mob without any special "Evasion Bonus" or "THF-type" traits. Assuming a player's total accuracy is equal to their Combat Skill (adjusted for the 200+ levels) + DEX/2 + Job Trait bonuses + bonuses from gear...

How much accuracy would that player need to reach the accuracy cap on said Level 80 monster?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Furthermore, would I be correct in assuming that, if my parse is showing a 95% accuracy on melee hits, my Rampages will have a 0.95^6 = 73.5% chance of hitting all 6 hits (not counting double attacks)? Or will the accuracy for each individual hit of a Rampage be less than my chance to land a normal melee hit?

Accuracy total from gear/food/songs/merits to hit the cap?

I'm just doing some quick math off my head so I might be a little off, but I'm relatively sure it's around 90-130 to hit the accuracy cap at most exp camps. This number has a pretty wide range because it takes a lot more acc on something like Mamools/Skoffins vs Puks/Colibri. However, keep in mind that while fighting Puks and even Skoffins you'll never parse at the cap even though you could be capped, just because of Flashga/Wind Wall.

The cap can be hit easily usually with around 30 to 70 acc from gear/merits/whatever along with Sushi (not including merits).

Otherwise you won't normally come close to hitting it if you're using meat without accuracy JAs and/or merits, a lot of acc from gear, and Madrigal. I TP in about +87 total on SAM without food/songs and I'll still fall a little short of the cap normally at most camps, by anywhere from 15% to 5%.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was looking for a total number that included your base accuracy as well; not just the excess stuff from food, gear, etc. But that's enough for me to work with.

Without going into specifics, let's just say I'm going to be using a multi-hit weaponskill against a Level 80 mob using a B+ weapon, and I want the damn thing to hurt because I don't think I'm ever going get a chance to attempt something so insane ever again.

*cough*

Thank you.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Mire mobs are roughly level 80, though I think most are generall 77-79. 285 dagger + 85dex + 43acc is 93% acc. So I'd say roughly 45-50acc on a "normal" level 80 mob.

Since you asked for total, lets go with 0.9acc for 200+ skills.

200 skill = 200
    85 x 0.9 = 76.5 so 76
    85 / 2 = 42.5 so 42
    Total = 318 with 45-50 in gear, 363-368 total accuracy.

But before obsessing over that last few % of accuracy, you'll do better working on attack. Especially since you sound like a white mage, you lack attack, big time.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    Mire mobs are roughly level 80, though I think most are generall 77-79. 285 dagger + 85dex + 43acc is 93% acc. So I'd say roughly 45-50acc on a "normal" level 80 mob.

Since you asked for total, lets go with 0.9acc for 200+ skills.

200 skill = 200
    85 x 0.9 = 76.5 so 76
    85 / 2 = 42.5 so 42
    Total = 318 with 45-50 in gear, 363-368 total accuracy.

But before obsessing over that last few % of accuracy, you'll do better working on attack. Especially since you sound like a white mage, you lack attack, big time.
    Yea, you got me.

The Attack is going to be provided by Double Minuet and Berserk/Warcry, so I'm not worried so much about that. The issue is just getting Accuracy up to par. No Club merits, so I'm at 280.4 Accuracy before gear and food. Sole Sushi +1, obviously, which I've had sitting on a mule for a year after a lucky synth streak.

I'm using Somepage to dig up the stuff that's actually feasible for me, and I'm getting roughly 70 Accuracy available from gear; give or take about 6 as you add and take away NQ/HQ pieces and whatnot.

Here's the definite stuff:
    Optical Hat
    Reverend Mail
    Sniper's Ring x 2
    Life Belt
    Chivalrous Chain

That's 45 accuracy from gear. No Peacock Amulet/Charm or equivalent, which is a bummer.

Obviously, this stuff isn't an exact science, but I'm still looking for the input to anyone who's willing to chime in with something, as long as it's not "get a real melee" or whatever because that's not an option for this. But aside from the stuff that's listed above, how much more Accuracy do you think I need to come up with before I can start pumping stuff like STR?

I wouldn't ever pump str, tbh.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    That's a viable answer, too.

Aren't you the guy that came up with the "Asuran Fists is modified by Accuracy" joke?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rentwokay
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    That's a viable answer, too.

Aren't you the guy that came up with the "Asuran Fists is modified by Accuracy" joke?
    Yeah, he said it, but it's true.

If you're really serious about making a DD build, the best thing you can do is upgrade that skill 8 times with merits, since each extra level of skill gives you both attack and (0.92) accuracy.

Using Eaglestrike's 365 acc ballpark target, divide by 1.15 to see how much acc you need before sushi to hit that number: 318. So, assuming our numbers are right, that means if you want to hit around 90% you should have 38 acc in gear (over your 280 presumed raw acc).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not really about making a DD build. This is just a one-time thing.

But thank you all for your explanations. I think I have enough now to figure things out.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I figured the polite thing to do would be to post a follow-up.

This is the gear I ultimately decided on:

Main: Brass Jadagna
    Sub: Tariqah
    Ammo: Tiphia Sting
    Head: Optical Hat
    Neck: Chivalrous Chain
    Ear: Minuet Earring
    Ear: Intruder Earring
    Body: Reverend Mail
    Hands: Healer's Mitts
    Ring: Sniper's Ring
    Ring: Woodsman's Ring
    Back: Miraculous Cape
    Waist: Potent Belt
    Legs: Prince's Slops
    Feet: Creek M Clomps

Other gear choices I wanted to include were, semi-obviously, Peacock Charm, Aiming Bracelets, Bellicose Mantle, and Tabin Boots +1. Peacock Charm was prohibitively expensive on such short notice. Aiming Bracelets didn't seem to be worth the ATK loss, as Eaglestrike mentioned. Tabin Boots +1 and Bellicose Mantle were out of stock.

I suppose it would have probably helped if I mentioned what was fighting, but I didn't want to be laughed out the door before it happened.

Here are the results, as frustrating as they may be:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/493/hexa1om6.jpg
    300% TP, 4/6 hits (11% return), Soul Voice + Double Minuet, Berserk, Warcry, Sole Sushi +1

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/7868/hexa2af7.jpg
    144% TP, 6/6 hits (13% return), no Minuet, Berserk, no Warcry, Sole Sushi +1, Bio III effect, Blinded effect, accidentally swapped Yigit Turban in for Optical Hat

Go fucking figure.

Party setup used my old CoP static, though 4/6 of those members now have new jobs leveled: MNK WHM/WAR BLM BLM RDM/DRK BRD

The plan was to Soul Voice Minuet, Chainspell Stun, Light skillchain with 300% TP and Magic Burst, use Icarus Wing, and repeat the skillchain/burst again. The one of the BLMs has THF leveled, but we'd lose one of the bursts and I'd end up being dead weight in the back, so I leveled a /WAR sub, and the THF came as a BLM.

There's nothing really wrong with the plan, and as long as all six hits didn't miss, the Light skillchain would have still gone off, but I'm pissed off that I produced comparable numbers unbuffed and debuffed to when I'm primed.

In the end, the MNK missed closing the chain with Dragon Kick, and Chainspell Stun got resisted just long enough for Nightmare to poke through and have half of the party fall into the spider pit. MNK switched to NIN, I switched to casting gear, we ended up winning the second attempt, and I can finally level SMN.

And they all lived happily ever after.

yes, you'll get random numbers like that with a multi-hit ws regardless. With Rampage I've had unlucky ones where I hit for ~200 damage, and I've had some around 1200. just depends on luck for any individual ws. If you can, take a look at average tp return, if it looks low, add more acc during ws.