BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mellee Corsair pre 70     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Mellee Corsair pre 70

I was wondering if anyone tried/parsed this before for TP gain (of course youd still Slug Shot). Cor has higher Dagger and I think higher sword then Gun but does it parse better? I understand with Mkris or Joy you get your WS spammage but I purely mean with normal weapons.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

non thf dagger dot sucks, unless you meet the specific condition of being a warrior with evisceration in a peircing zone with either a blau/joy or harpe/joy. Sword is ehhh , but I don't think you get vorpal blade, which is sword rampage, so I doubt it'd be as good, but it could probably compete somewhat if your winders are poopy.

If you're COR/RNG with a Joyeuse, it's usually worth shooting from point-blank range to squeeze in double attacks from the sword for TP/damage. Friend of mine did it and managed to get tp about as fast as the WAR/NIN there. It's nothing to write home about, though. I'd stay out of melee range unless you're fighting flying mobs.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i havnt really parsed it, but even after the ranger patch i still did fire off shots for TP gain, except this time i was in melee range, so i'd get a few extra hits in here and there.... i'd say you should melee in compliment of shots, and not just do 1 or the other

if you can get yourself a shark gun, basically coffinmaker -1, i think you'd do more damage over time than with a melee weapon alone..

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I noticed after lvl 60 I have sometimes a hard time landing slugshot... It bothers me alot. I have like +61 R.acc gear and still only hit 50% of my slug shots (sometimes even less). I am very confused. I use my WS at 150TP+ as another note I fight against IT mobs that have high def but not high eva when checking them without food + I use sushi. So how the fuck am I missing 50% of my slug shots?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i used to have that hit rate before the ranger patch, but now, i noticed my hit rate is much higher... no idea really why you're not landing stuff, ... are you really parsing 50% slugshots? or it jus seems like that... missing a few slugs in a row is really frustrating

on that note, has anyone ever tested the accuracy boost depending on tp? i would think 100 and 150% tp is the same, and you only gain an increase in accuracy when you hit the 200 / 300 mark, ... isnt that how TP multipliers work on other WS?
    i know i was always told by rangers i should WS at 150%, but that never made sense to me.
    now i just TP @ 100, im usually faily confident in my accuracy to do that, and dont worry about my misses so much

also... does anyone remember the old ranger nerf? didnt they do something based on level difference between you and the mob to have less acc/damage to begin with? i dunno if they re-adjusted that part or not in the earlier patch......

The TP modifier varies by TP, theres no tier as far as I know. The only reason why you see sites listing modifiers at 200% or 300% is because thats easier to test than the actual equation for the mod based on any tp.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was more meaning TP gain with weapons then Slug Shot, wafiks response about dagger/sword DoT was mainly what I was looking for considering I've never lvled a job that uses either mainly.
    I understand joytoy and will use that at 70 but thats why I put pre 70 on this thread.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Which affects slug shot accuracy more: The TP Bonus from Martial Gun or the R.Acc +9 from Coffinmaker?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Which affects slug shot accuracy more: The TP Bonus from Martial Gun or the R.Acc +9 from Coffinmaker?
    my guess is martial Gun +100 TP bonus > +9 R.Acc on slug shot. Seeing as how much slugs I miss lately ¬.¬

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I used Shark Gun all the way up until Martial, which is what I still use, and it was a noticable boost (in terms of Slug Shot accuracy). Of course, by that point I was already using my Joyeuse for TP gain, so the only things I used the Martial for were WSs and the occasional Barrage.

But yeah...I got pretty much all the racc possible, and I had a decent hit rate, but would still get angry sometimes. Definitely much smoother once I started using the Martial, and if it does miss (rarely), at least I only built up 100% TP instead of 120-150. Currently I feel like I have too much racc and could use ratk, though I think my sword acc would annoy me if I tried to use meat. Unfortunately, it's hard to beat even LS members into letting me merit on COR when I have BRD. My COR sees the most action in Salvage, and well...I don't exactly test gear there.

To veer back on topic, I did stand in range sometimes and chip away at the mob a bit with my little pocketknife pre-70, but I fired pretty much as often as I could get away with, and that's where most of my TP gain came from. Someone on some forum did a calculation of the speed of building TP with dagger versus bullet spam, and I think it came out almost even? I'm not really sure. Bullet spam will certainly do more damage.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Damane
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    my guess is martial Gun +100 TP bonus > +9 R.Acc on slug shot. Seeing as how much slugs I miss lately ¬.¬
    i thought martial weapons were agreed upon sometime back they're +50% tp and not a straight +100 TP .. ie @ 100tp you're firing off as if you had 150, but at 200% tp you're firing off as if you had 300%

idk i stick to coffinmaker, never tested the martial gun, but im happy with the results i see from coffinmaker.. if someone can show me a parse with martial gun parsing higher accuracy/damage and then if i can find one for cheap, i'll think about getting it...

unfortunately i havnt been able to use my corsair since i got my joyeuse in an xp party because i'm always wanted on whm.. and i still have stuff to buy for other upcomming jobs, so its sorta been on the backburner lately =/

New Merits
    BG Level

I was wondering if anyone tried/parsed this before for TP gain (of course youd still Slug Shot). Cor has higher Dagger and I think higher sword then Gun but does it parse better? I understand with Mkris or Joy you get your WS spammage but I purely mean with normal weapons.
    COR has B- sword, B gun, and B+ dagger skill. Pre-70, you should be shooting full time unless you have a Mercurial Kris. Normal gun damage will outdo regular swords and daggers, and you'll be building TP at least as fast by shooting. I've never tried using Mercurial Kris, but I could see it being a viable option 55+. Slug Shot is by far our greatest source of damage, and while M.Kris will deal pitiful per-hit damage you'll almost certainly be building TP faster and firing off Slugs a lot more often with it. Post-70, Joytoy all the way, but that's pretty much a given.

I noticed after lvl 60 I have sometimes a hard time landing slugshot... It bothers me alot. I have like +61 R.acc gear and still only hit 50% of my slug shots (sometimes even less). I am very confused. I use my WS at 150TP+ as another note I fight against IT mobs that have high def but not high eva when checking them without food + I use sushi. So how the fuck am I missing 50% of my slug shots?
    Are you subbing /RNG and eating sushi? If you are and you're still missing 50% of your Slug Shots at 150%, the only answer is you're overhunting.

Yeah, I when I started using Martial Gun instead of Shark Gun (just 4 less r.acc than Coffinmaker), I saw a noticeable jump in my Slug Shot accuracy. The best part is I no longer have to second-guess myself when I fire off Slug at 100% TP. Before, when I'd fire at 100-120% and miss, I'd always wonder whether I would have hit if I had waited to get a little bit more TP. Martial Gun takes that uncertainty factor out of the equation and allows me to fire Slugs at 100% TP with complete confidence.

i thought martial weapons were agreed upon sometime back they're +50% tp and not a straight +100 TP .. ie @ 100tp you're firing off as if you had 150, but at 200% tp you're firing off as if you had 300%

idk i stick to coffinmaker, never tested the martial gun, but im happy with the results i see from coffinmaker.. if someone can show me a parse with martial gun parsing higher accuracy/damage and then if i can find one for cheap, i'll think about getting it...
    I'm pretty sure it's +100 TP on Martial weapons no matter what your starting TP is. Either way, Martial will give you the best r.acc for firing Slug Shot at 100% TP, although it's not the most damaging gun we have. Coffinmaker's still better for normal ranged attacks and Barrage, but since I TP with Joyeuse and only use gun for Slug Shot, I personally prefer Martial. Here's what I would think the breakdown is for the "best" endgame guns for COR:

Slug Shot: Martial Gun
    Shooting/Barrage: Coffinmaker
    Quick Draw damage: Corsair's Gun +1
    Pulling, QD accuracy: Peacemaker

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

im an old-school ranger, and imo meleeing has always been the way to go. for the amount of time it takes to pull out your gun, wait for it to finally shoot and make a cool sound... a mnk or war has had 2 attack rounds and has done more damage than you (considering double attacks and such). only way to catch up is to get a few quick hits in before your next shot. even if your dagger hits for crap, that TP you've gained will make you slug more often. im not a cor, but i'd use dagger until joyeuse and definitely melee range.

for one thing, any amount of tp from melee attacks > none, with multi-hit weapons being first choice. its very simple--you can WS more often. make note of your KC ranger or soboro sam/rng. now, those guys dont usually shoot for tp, understandably since they will most likely get more from KC or getting 15tp per hit on soboro >.> (my sam is 68 atm) also keeping in mind that they get hasted more often than a cor or rng would.

but.. rng or cor meleeing between shots is enough to improve tp gain to where its making up for the damage penalty of not using the "sweetspot" (gun being shorter distance than bow anyway)

im confident that if you parsed 2 equally equipped cors in the same pt one meleeing and other shooting from optimal ranged distance, that the melee cor would parse way higher.

also, isnt it easier to deliver your melee rolls while meleeing? you could run back for a mage roll and slug from there no? again im not a cor, but hopefully my input is vaulable.

(quick note: as rng, i really prefer xbow or bow over gun while xping.)

New Merits
    BG Level

SS/SW, last time I bothered looking, was something along the lines of -20 0 +20 (or -20 -10 0, I can't remember specifics) for the racc tiers with tp. I dont understand the large jump people claim with using martial over a coffinmaker unless you're trying to shoot standing with the rangers and are /nin. Parse it if possible, I know I will when I get there, but the marginal racc bonus between a coffinmaker and a martial shouldn't be a difference maker. A lot of CORs say this, so I'm not trying to discount it, especially if it lets me eventually eat meat, but its usually "eyeball" remarks and I haven't seen a coffinmaker/martial parse. As previously stated, properly geared CORs having trouble landing slugs are typically overhunting or trying to shoot from d20.

OT, dagger merits + spamming bullets at melee range pre-70 has provided the best results for me (with a sam in the pt its a slug shot every ~25s if the pt can handle it), and I'll parse this against the joytoy @70, but I'm not expecting much of a difference other than maintaining WS output while saving some bullets. Sword merits would possibly shift this, as well as a few other gear choices, but my dagger merits won't ever be touched and I don't care about bullet costs. I personally stand in melee range to deliver rolls and for the occasional dagger strike in-between actions/running back from mage rolls, otherwise its bullet spam so the mainhand weapon is mostly irrlevant for my current playstyle.

Shots are typically over 100 each (if the job could use Silver Bullets I'd spam those), with anywhere from ~15-20 tp per depending on setup (Sam roll on a good number is f'ing hilarious), with the random dagger strikes doing 4.x-8. I never understood why people try to justify ways to not spam bullets with this job, and while a joyeuse may make it bearable in terms of tp gain, there's no way the dmg output will be the same unless you're consistantly missing shots and/or have maxed sword merits. Its still rare to find a smart COR, at least on Asura (I know of maybe 5), so I've just been parsing and swapping as I go.

A COR/BRD/Healer backline is so busted I'm honestly surprised more people arent playing the job. 75% of the pts I get are usually met with "Oooooh a COR, never xp'd with one of those" or the typical "Wow, I liek yur hat, whut doez a COR do?"

-Vyzrael (Asura)

New Merits
    BG Level

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that a COR shouldn't melee at all pre-70, just that their main focus should still be spamming bullets. Sneaking in a couple dagger swings in between shots is obviously better than not having a weapon drawn at all.

In merit parties, I find shooting for TP to be less efficient than TP'ing with Joyeuse in most cases. With the speed that mobs die, it's very easy for one to go from 30% to 0% life before we can squeeze a shot off with our high delay guns. Whenever a mob dies and we're in mid-shot, we've effectively wasted those last couple seconds. Also, by meleeing for TP we generally get a lot more benefit from our own rolls than when we shoot. With Haste gear, Haste spell, Fighter's Roll, and a Joyeuse, a COR can get to 100% TP much faster than they can by shooting.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

i like xping fast, especially as the maat's cap gets closer for me (only BST52 NIN40 BRD8 and PLD8 below 66) so when i build a pt, first thing i do is look for brd and nin-- however if there's no brd i dont mind getting a cor instead for low-mid levels xp since their melee rolls are pretty dramatic + their damage makes a great bonus and mobs die faster.

to me, COR is a front-line DD with fairly consistent buffs, truely unique. MP-brd is certainly still support king, but cant DD like cor.