+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of Spiders     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level

Fear of Spiders

How the hell do you get rid of the fear of spiders? I don't know if I'm quite arachnaphobic, although I would say I do have an unreal fear of spiders, i.e. pictures of spiders terrify the bejezus out of me even though I know full well they present no real danger (e.g. can't pop out of the picture).

I just got up from my bed, looked at my bedpost, and saw this disgusting pitch-black spider with neon green eyes the side of my big toe's thumbnail.

I've always feared spiders, with exception to the daddy long legs. I just find them utterly gross, and nothing is more embarressing than looking like a little girl whenever a spider is present (usually to a much less extent if its possible to take 50 folds of napkin and smother it, pick it up all the while yelling "ew ew ew" and running at a pace that would shatter the 4-minute mile).

So, what are some ways to reasonably get rid of this fear? Putting myself in a bucket of spiders would not work, and undoubtedly give me a heart attack.

EDIT: For the love of whatever you believe in, don't post any pictures of spiders.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well it seems phobias are a behavioral problem... Anxiety attacks you can't really control... I would suggest counseling or drugs :D

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Watch that film, Arachnophobia (I think I spelt it right). That might do the trick =p

Plenty of spiders in that ...

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionX
    Watch that film, Arachnophobia (I think I spelt it right). That might do the trick =p

Plenty of spiders in that ...
    Not an option. I'd shit myself during the film previews.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

go for hypno

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

From my psychology book:

"Behavior Therapies:

Assume disorders reflect learning of maladaptive responses (such as maladaptive fear responses, or phobias) or failure to acquire adaptive responses (such as social skills.)

Behavior therapy is directive and uses fear-reduction methods (including systematic desensitization) to overcome phobias such as fear of flying, averse conditioning (to help clients discontinue bad habits), operant conditioning procedures (e.g., social skills training) and self control methods."

Unfortunately, exposure to spiders is a good way to desensitize yourself to them. I've always been afraid of some bugs, mostly those daddy long legs and the mosquito-looking things with long ass legs.
    What helped me was forced exposure. My apartment in Japan was in a pretty rural area surrounded by rice fields. Frogs and bugs became an everyday thing when Spring and Summer rolled around. One awful night, I found myself locked in mortal combat with an especially huge spider. It was bigger than my entire hand and was all hairy and crap.
    After experiences like that, the minor encounters I face back home are like nothing.

Compared to some of the stuff you'll see in Australia though, we're both a couple of pussies.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy
    Unfortunately, exposure to spiders is a good way to desensitize yourself to them. I've always been afraid of some bugs, mostly those daddy long legs and the mosquito-looking things with long ass legs.
    What helped me was forced exposure. My apartment in Japan was in a pretty rural area surrounded by rice fields. Frogs and bugs became an everyday thing when Spring and Summer rolled around. One awful night, I found myself locked in mortal combat with an especially huge spider. It was bigger than my entire hand and was all hairy and crap.
    After experiences like that, the minor encounters I face back home are like nothing.

Compared to some of the stuff you'll see in Australia though, we're both a couple of pussies.
    Literally, spiders like dinner plates, saw them on my trip when I was like 6, that's why I'm afraid of spiders now T_T

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy
    Which is why I'll stay away from Australia. If I want to go down under, I'll image.google.com kangaroos and koalas, and then watch Finding Nemo.

Seriously though, I don't want to at all even look at spiders. Here's what's interesting though. I think they're supremely interesting -- they way they shot web, etc., and I think they're one of nature's most useful, productive, and fascinating creatures. It's just...they're so fucking gross, even thinking about them disturbs me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You could start by logically breaking it down.

Ridill
    BG Level

find a jumping spider to play with

they won't bite, but they'll like attach a web to your hand and hang down and shit, you can get em to do all sortsa cool stuff and they're completely harmless

edit: and they're tiny, i.e. not scary

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    You could start by logically breaking it down.
    Well, I've had bad experiences with spiders. We used to have wolf-spiders outside of my house, like within 100-meters. I stumbled upon one that had flattened my football when I was like, 10. It is possible that the ball fell on a spike and the thing just went and sat on it, but from the looks of it, I thought he popped it. And this thing was absolutely nasty.

Another time, I went into my basement and saw a spider at least 6-inches in diameter (with legs).

I don't know why, I just can't handle being in the vicinity of spiders. What's weird, is that I don't remember being scared of spiders when I was really young, and it's only been within the past 10 (+-2) years or so that I've really become terrified by them.

Now I don't think it's quite arachnaphobia because I'm speaking of them right now. Maybe it's just the visualization of? Does something along those lines have any merit within the field of psychology?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Just do what I do. Have your mom kill it. lol, jk I kill em but they still freak me out. especially when they squish when i kill em. :/

Haaaate spiders At this one house I roomed in we had to deal with wolf spiders, the only spider I know of that actually will charge human beings and attempt to bite you. Like if you saw one, and crouched down to look at it, the thing would come skittering at you aiming to get a chunk of your leg with its fangs.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr
    Seriously though, I don't want to at all even look at spiders.
    I am disappointed in you bg. I thought someone would have posted a picture of a spider by now. lol

In all honest though yeah, i have a slight phobia of them too, i get a shiver when seeing them on Tv or Pictures. When they come into my room i hate it too, they always seem to come right by my freeking head. I just get a book and crush them though, but i still hate the thought of them being in my room when i am asleep. lol

E. Body
    BG Level

On a much lighter note, while burning the midnight oil working on a Simone De Beauvoir paper, listening to the wind seep through my windows, my bunnies are growing crazy. You heard it here first if the weather tomorrow in the DC-Metropolitan area is absolutely insane.

Rabbits > Spiders.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1...43f6a0dzq9.jpg

WUTS THE TIME CLOCKSPIDR

Get a pet Tarantula, the ones that you keep in those small fish tanks and you feed it a dead mouse once a week. It'll help and it's very safe, they wont climb out of their tanks unless you let them (as in, put a way for them to do it or keep the lid loose).

Spiders aren't very scary, if you go near one, 99 times out of 100 it'll start running. The bigger the spider is the less harmful it generally is. If you're in america then you don't have much to worry about, spiders can't kill you there within hours like the red backs can in AU

E. Body
    BG Level

Good thing you've mercied me, and good thing I mentioned "no pictures of spiders please." Although that's pretty much ass-up, face-down'ing the purpose of the post.

Anyway, is there some other method outside of actually having some form of contact with spiders?

PS: I hate you both. And you have redback spiders in the AU? Well, we have a president that ships off our high schoolers to Iraq. Said president would also break his brain trying to pronounce "anemone."

poking fun at bush never gets old

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

didnt read any of the other posts, but in my psych class our professor showed us a video of a woman that WAS arachnaphobic. She lived her life in fear of spiders, everyday, it was simply sad. She wanted to get rid of it, and in order to do so she had to be near them, see them, and eventually touch one. It took her a while but by being around them she eventually got over her fear, and believe me she had a serious condition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast