BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Toshi Prower
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Midlevel Paladin Gear

so the story is, a friend of mine is trying to make a static pt and i'm going to join them as paladin. My Paladin's 60, and last time i touched it was when Phalanx rings were uber for pld to wear. Im sure we've learned a lot in that time so now i am confused as to what to wear particuarly in my earring, back and ring slots.

I figured could do full af or perhaps af + haubergeon.. I have a parade gorget which i think i would wear full time. Swift belt for waist.. So rings.. go acc rings to keep DoT up or mp rings (although im a hume with 4 mp merits) or even VIT rings? Very confused on what would be best for exp. Earrings i could go antivenom/insomnia, or insomnia/hospitaler... what would be better? And back armor... I wasnt sure if i should go with Knightley Mantle or Amemet+1.. (at 61)

Tell me BG how would you equip your Paladin at level 60 in todays fast-chaining-ToAU world?

Go woodsman rings, hauby, get yourself a good sword and do some damage.

Grab a Size 3 Shield and all the shield Skill gear you can get your Hands on, Then Go for DoT with Acc and Att gear, in slots were you cant really pick up much Acc or Att look into Emn

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Size 3 shield is the only thing you really need for dedicated damage mitigation in XP, especially at 60.

Gear like a DD, you'll still take plenty little damage and won't be dead weight in a good party.

If it makes you happy, schlep along the full AF and defense gobbeltygook for those crappy parties where you need all the help you can get staying alive, otherwise dump the lolVIT/lolDEF mindset and DD it up.

You have an A+ weapon and access to Vorpal Blade. You're going to be subbing WAR. You might not be outparsing WARs or anything, but you won't take that much more damage than a full-out defensive PLD, you'll hold more hate, and you'll help your party chain faster.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

eat tacos and go all acc + attack. you'll take less damage than full vit/def AF plds in the long run because speeding up kills far outweighs taking 2-3 less damage per hit.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Toshi Prower
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

ok this is the info i was looking for... thanks everyone.. :D And yea, having played NIN and constantly parse near the top, i was afraid of having to play a defensive pld... but ToAU mobs seem so squisy, i can go hauby, woodsmans, amemet, with a strong mainhand sword and do pretty decent. Also <3 sanction refresh!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by jerkbox
    eat tacos and go all acc + attack. you'll take less damage than full vit/def AF plds in the long run because speeding up kills far outweighs taking 2-3 less damage per hit.
    And take that a step further by skipping the tacos for XP parties.

Meat is nice if you have 85% or higher accuracy. Eat cheap Meat Kabobs if fighting Colibri. Otherwise, go with Sushi.

Another good trick is to pop Berserk before WS, WS, take enough damage for a Cure IV, pop Sentinel, Cure IV, and leave it up until it wears off. You can even click Defender on after Sentinel wears and click it off before your next WS, only canceling Berserk at that point.

Tell me I'm not the only one that read Medieval Paladin Gear.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

i read it that way too >.>

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Re: Midlevel Paladin Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiko
    . Earrings i could go antivenom/insomnia, or insomnia/hospitaler... what would be better? And back armor... I wasnt sure if i should go with Knightley Mantle or Amemet+1.. (at 61)
    Missed this on first reply.

I'd suggest going Buckler/Assault Earring for TP gain. Macro in a 2nd ATK earring for WS, and swap out Assault for Hospitaler for more efficient cures.

For back, there's 2 choices- High Breath Mantle (Enmity+5) or Amemet +1. Knightly Mantle is trash.

use Hauby and full AF,

earings:
    buckler/drone

Rings:
    jelly/woodsman

waist:
    Life belt

Back:
    High Breath Mantle (carry 2 of these or bring amemet +1 along in case you die before timer on high breath cools down)

For neck slot, personaly i would use something besides parade gorget. Grab something from the AH that gives you acc. PCC is prefered but were all not rich/lucky. Save Parade Gorget for your resting macro or just swap it in between fights.

On food, your screwing up if your not using tacos on IT mobs. Otherwise Bream Sushi (Dex, Vit, 16% acc) is cheap and effective on VT or lower mobs. Just carry both, thats what i did.

oh, forgot to mention:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Bibiki_Seashell

fairly new piece of gear u might not know about.