Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

A couple NPC/fellow questions

I was finally bored enough to get into this NPC thing. I've read the FFXIclopedia guide several times, but one thing still is not clear to me. Am I reading it wrong, or is it only possible to lock a maximum of 3 armor pieces? I know headwear is independent, but unless I'm totally missing something, the guide says it's only possible to lock 3 of the other 4 armor pieces. Someone please tell me I'm wrong?

Also, is it necessary to kill corresponding crystal mobs on top of being in the properly controlled zones for certain paths? The guide basically says "maybe." I've been doing it anyway, but would be nice to be able to kill more than one or two mob types if someone knows for sure.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

It used to be possible to lock all 4. Now you can only do 3. Mine still has all 4 locked though, heh.

As for crystals... I dunno. I did beastmen zones and didn't bother with crystals, and the armor progressed exactly according to the order. One thing to note though that the guide doesn't make clear: only one piece of armor actually progresses at a time. The other (non-locked) pieces change randomly. For example, if your NPC's hand armor is changing according to the order, the body might randomly switch between low-level stuff.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Lock the body, hands, and feet. Regarding the armour, once you select w/e attire you want, go kill in that specific area. You don't have to kill mobs that drop specifc crystals, however, the area you've chosen (for armour) to represent has to be dominant.

Heres my npc, miss her ;(

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4319/npcnr7.jpg

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I got my NPC to 65 and have done all the NPC quests/whatever. I can only lock 3 parts. I just let the boots cycle since I can barely see them under the Martial Slacks. I never heard of being able to lock all 4 parts before.

I found that killing the right crystal dropping mob worked almost 100% for me. Might have gone wrong 2 or 3 out of something like 30 tries for me. Curse my indecisiveness in fashion!
    Starter regions work great since they hardly change hands.
    Crabs/Pugils in East Sarutaba.
    Worms in Gustaburg
    Orc in Ghelsba Outpost.

I found this page very handy in choosing the armor if you cant remember exactly what every part looks like. I know a couple pics are missing but it's still handy.
    http://www.koolaid-ffxi.org/linkshell/space/NPC+Armor

While I haven't bothered to play with my NPC in ages (lvl63, but so boring if I can't level it in TOAU areas...), I had a question. I know you can put your NPC in pumpkin head/dream hat/robe, but can you put it in the bathing suit, or even the yukata?

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir
    I got my NPC to 65 and have done all the NPC quests/whatever. I can only lock 3 parts. I just let the boots cycle since I can barely see them under the Martial Slacks. I never heard of being able to lock all 4 parts before.
    It used to be four before they changed it.

I leave hands unlocked, since you can hardly see the gloves under the tunic's sleeves. Ever since he hit 65, I've done next to nothing with him.

http://www.hot-hot-hot-catlove.com/f...unnarFinal.jpg

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The best way I have found to get the gear you want for your NPC is to kill the mobs of that nation. You can even go to starter zone dungeons and mow them down by the score to speed up the process. Palborough Mines for Bastok, Ghelsba Outpost for San d'Oria, Giddeus for Windurst, and Oldton Movalpolos for beastmen. Since the starter zones are almost always controled by their respective nations (including the Moblins) you have a fairly good shot of progressing exactly the way you want.

And they really need to put some more options in the game for Fellows, like secondary armor (belts, capes, earrings, neck, rings) and some assaults and ENMs. I miss leveling with Zoldof. (I still need to get Zayag to 65, he is still level 60.) And give us the 4th armor lock. >_<

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by akarikamigishi
    While I haven't bothered to play with my NPC in ages (lvl63, but so boring if I can't level it in TOAU areas...), I had a question. I know you can put your NPC in pumpkin head/dream hat/robe, but can you put it in the bathing suit, or even the yukata?
    Not sure about those, but my friend called one with egg helm on the other day and it showed up wearing it, so I assume some other event items would work too.

Also, is it necessary to kill corresponding crystal mobs on top of being in the properly controlled zones for certain paths? The guide basically says "maybe." I've been doing it anyway, but would be nice to be able to kill more than one or two mob types if someone knows for sure.
    I always seem to have the best luck doing it that way. I tried bats or something in Mova and it kept resetting itself every few calls. ; ;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Malaquist
    I always seem to have the best luck doing it that way. I tried bats or something in Mova and it kept resetting itself every few calls. ; ;
    If you are going for the beastmen path, you need to avoid bats at all costs. Don't fight the BST mobs, just target goblins, moblins, and bugbears.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I levelled my NPC in Movalpolos a lot, so it progressed down the San d'Oria line (since Sandy always controlled Moval at the time). I stopped him at the Hara-Ate level since he had a Great Katana and I liked the look of it.

Lock the body, legs, and feet. The gloves are the least noticable piece. Half the time I call my NPC, he's wearing Hara-Ate body, legs, feet, a Green Beret, and... bronze mittens. But you don't really notice.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah I read about the previous locking system being all or nothing. That they would only let you lock 3 pieces individually is pretty baffling to me, but oh well :\ I Right now my NPC is level 50 with nobles (locked obviously)-- I guess I'll just pick some feet equips that cover the legs (taru) even though it's not really what I wanted. I should post the armor lock issue in the developer questions thread now that I think of it. There's no logical reason you should only get 3 locks-- hopefully they'll change this...

I still use mine when helping friends farm or kill NMs or whatever. It's basically free firepower or healing, the hard part is remembering my pearl...