+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vista Upgrade Question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Vista Upgrade Question

I am currently running XP Pro SP2 on my computer, and I'm going to upgrade to Vista within a month or two after running carefully over some new hardware upgrading.

My question is: if I buy "Home Premium Upgrade", can I also use it to install? I've had to wipe my comp at least 3 times since back when I installed XP, due to some issue or another, and I worry about hitting such a wall if I upgrade to Vista. The problem I worry about is if I need to perform an entirely clean install, will I need to install XP, then upgrade to vista all over again? Or can I just slap the Vista disc in and start from scratch with it? I really hope I can just clean install with Vista if anything goes awry.

u can install from startup ive done it and if your installing x64 u gatta install from start up anyway

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

i don't have vista myself (no plans to upgrade anytime soon) but i've read that if you get an upgrade version then you'll actually need to install xp first if you redo your system.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Actually you do not need to have XP.

You can install Vista upgrade as a clean install. But do not put in serial number when asked. It will install a base running version that will time out after 30 days. Once that versio install is complete you can do the Install again and when prompted put in the Serial Number. There was an Article in MaximumPC about this.

When You do the initial install make sure you select the Version you have a license for, otherwise this will not work.

ive neve had any probs with that promt did claen install on this comp when vista first came out using vista ultimate x64 and never had any probs ive reinstalled it a few times since and havent had any serial key probs either