Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Harajnite - Manaclipper NM

I've begun doing research on Harajnite to eventually gather up some LS mates, fish up this NM and zerg it repeatedly until the Harajnite Shell drops for an Igqira Huaraches synth. I realize the boots are fairly worthless except for the dark magic skill (and yes the +emnity may negate that in certain situations) but I love rare/unique endgame gear. I've begun doing a little bit of research on my own and read through all the lolalla stories, so far this is what I've gathered, I'd appreciate any information anyone else has

1. Each trip to/from Purgonorgo Isle 6 earth minutes. Each trip to/from one of the tours is 9 earth minutes. (Not including CS's since cant do anything while in them)

2. He is fished up with any combination of rod/tackle by someone non-dependent on their fishing level (0 can fish it up). Alla story says he can be fished up every 30 minutes, however ive yet to fish him up.

3. Horrible regen when its in his shell (can no longer dispel this), nasty aoe poison, and does not hit hard. Must zerg with atleast half of an alliance before the boat docks and should quarter master drops.

4. Drop is not 100%

5. Cyclopean Conch is also fished up, much easier version, and many players get these 2 mobs mixed up.

Here's a few questions I'm hoping to find answers to:

1. Is there a certain fishing message that is always recieved when fishing him up? I remember reading awhile back that certain messages mean you have a monster on the line. If so all casts could be cancelled as soon as the message did not match this, saving a lot of time and allowing many more casts per trip. I fished up a bunch of bastore sardines, quus, kelp, and moorish idols, seemed like a waste of time.

2. Is any tackle better for catching him/monsters?

3. Any idea how often he is actually fished up, I went with 3 friends for about an hour and a half last night with no luck fishing him up even once.
    (Didnt expect to kill, just wanted to gather some information)

4. Estimated drop rate on the Harajnite shell?

5. When he is in his shell is he forced out through raw dmg or will he come out on a timer? I realize this is a zerg fest so this may be a pointless question, but if hypothetically he comes out of his shell regardless of dmg every 20 seconds for 10 seconds, I could have all blms cast spells at a certain time so they would all hit when he was out for maximum dmg.

Thanks in advance for any information

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Shen? (That WHM hauby NM) is a good mob to practice on if you really are unsure. Just store TP on the trash riding the boat with you.

When you fish, I know the easiest way to determine what is on the line is the music.

From my experience, anyone with any bait/line can randomly pull him up. The first time I saw him was during the first boat trip after the release of the content. Some random guy pulled him up and slaughtered a boat full of about 50 people. The shell seems to drop easily off him.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Re: Harajnite - Manaclipper NM

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh
    I've begun doing research on Harajnite to eventually gather up some LS mates, fish up this NM and zerg it repeatedly until the Harajnite Shell drops for an Igqira Huaraches synth. I realize the boots are fairly worthless except for the dark magic skill (and yes the +emnity may negate that in certain situations) but I love rare/unique endgame gear. I've begun doing a little bit of research on my own and read through all the lolalla stories, so far this is what I've gathered, I'd appreciate any information anyone else has

1. Each trip to/from Purgonorgo Isle 6 earth minutes. Each trip to/from one of the tours is 9 earth minutes. (Not including CS's since cant do anything while in them)

2. He is fished up with any combination of rod/tackle by someone non-dependent on their fishing level (0 can fish it up). Alla story says he can be fished up every 30 minutes, however ive yet to fish him up.

3. Horrible regen when its in his shell, nasty aoe poison, and does not hit hard. Must zerg with atleast half of an alliance before the boat docks and should quarter master drops.

4. Drop is not 100%

5. Cyclopean Conch is also fished up, much easier version, and many players get these 2 mobs mixed up.

Here's a few questions I'm hoping to find answers to:

1. Is there a certain fishing message that is always recieved when fishing him up? I remember reading awhile back that certain messages mean you have a monster on the line. If so all casts could be cancelled as soon as the message did not match this, saving a lot of time and allowing many more casts per trip. I fished up a bunch of bastore sardines, quus, kelp, and moorish idols, seemed like a waste of time.

2. Is any tackle better for catching him/monsters?

3. Any idea how often he is actually fished up, I went with 3 friends for about an hour and a half last night with no luck fishing him up even once.
    (Didnt expect to kill, just wanted to gather some information)

4. Estimated drop rate on the Harajnite shell?

5. When he is in his shell is he forced out through raw dmg or will he come out on a timer? I realize this is a zerg fest so this may be a pointless question, but if hypothetically he comes out of his shell regardless of dmg every 20 seconds for 10 seconds, I could have all blms cast spells at a certain time so they would all hit when he was out for maximum dmg.

Thanks in advance for any information
    The key is if you have melee, they should turn when he pops out of his shell, because a crit can make him go back in and it just fucks things up. But if you WS right as a nuke is about to land you can get him low really fast.

Only fought him twice with no drop either time, and this was like 2 years ago. Not sure if it was ninja fixed at all but I think he stayed in his shell for about 15 seconds each time.

If you have your ingame music on, you can tell when you've got a monster on the line because it plays a different version of the fishing music. Other than that, there's no legal way to tell which monster you have on your line.

I've fished him up on several occasions.. Always solo.. Could never get anyone to help out.. So I was working with trying to find patterns etc. to get it fished up.

Though I did get him out many times and got him down to 70% ish as a 75 BLM.. I obviously never killed him solo. But I never found anything conclusive about when he could be fished up vs. when he couldn't be etc. It seemed very random. I always used different bait and rods also. It was never really the same combination. It was just whatever I had on me.

I am curious as to others experience on this as well. I'd like to just get a pair for vanity if nothing else.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

great idea about the music, Ive had all ffxi music turned off for so long I forgot about that lol

My LS did this nm last week and I was lucky enough to have a drop and to have a new pair of shoes.

1 The message you get when fishing a monster of !!! is the only indication that you may get a monster or the NM

2 anything worked we were all using insect paste or whatever, bigger factor is to have enough people fishing, we had 10

3 with a bit short of a full alliance most of it fishing we managed to get him once every other trip it seemed

4 i believe by the end of the night he was fished up 13 or 14 times and we managed 2 shells

5 i was suprised that the difficulty of the nm isnit that bad, his aoe misses a lot but yes its a zerg plain and simple we would try and kill as fast as we could... i think the whole night only once did the boat dock before we killed it

I thought that if it says "Something caught the hook!!!" it is a monster and if it says "Something caught the hook!" it isn't?

Or is this just some huge coincidence?

Edit: And I'm just saying how to recognize that it's a monster on your line and not a normal fish; this obviously isn't going to tell you if it's the NM or not.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eckskalibur
    I've fished him up on several occasions.. Always solo.. Could never get anyone to help out..
    omg, ecks... shoulda asked me!!! fished and killed many times, with 3 blms, a whm, and 1 melee... never got drop... i do have a pair of the boots however... got a [fira] signed pair from a friend... afaik there are only 2-3 pair on bismarck.

Had him spawn twice on 1 boat before, that and him and the Conch NM on the boat at the same time.

4 no drop, 2 time outs

How much Hp would you guys guess that this NM has?

Would it be Possible for a Kraken Dark to fish it up and burn it down Solo/duo?

in my experience, you can generally tell to some degree the level of a mob on your rod by how hard they fight. now i can't find a level for either of these mobs, so if they're the same level or near it, you're out of luck. from what i've found the couple of times i screwed around with devil manta in kuftal, the crabs didn't fight half as hard as the manta. also, all mobs (at least at my lvl of 69+5. lvl 0 fishing may not behave quite the same) have a poison like effect on their stamina, just like items do. if i remember correctly, the devil manta's poison effect was far weaker than that of the crabs and other misc fodder down there. this may or may not hold true for distinguishing the NM from the cyclopean NM, but i'd feel pretty confident saying you should be able to distinguish it from a kraken or some other low lvl fished mob.

what was said above is also true. there are 2 kinds of fish, small fish and large fish. small fish will have a catchy, tropical music (same music as heard when walking your chicken) and will have 1 exclamation mark at the end of the hook message. large fish have a more ominous sounding music and 3 exclamation marks at the end. all items excluding the arrowwood log (i think) are classified as small items, and all mobs and the log are large. if you pick a bait that doesn't catch any fish there, pitch anything with a small message as it's either a kelp, jelly, or if there are any there, i forget, an item. aim for the large fish type hooks that fight aggressively.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Eander
    I thought that if it says "Something caught the hook!!!" it is a monster and if it says "Something caught the hook!" it isn't?

Edit: And I'm just saying how to recognize that it's a monster on your line and not a normal fish; this obviously isn't going to tell you if it's the NM or not.
    Big fish will also give 3 exclamation marks, but an experienced fisher can tell the difference between mobs and big fish by the fishing instinct message (e.g. "You have a terrible feeling about this one!!!" means it's a fish. Makes sense huh? XD).

What you can also do is just watch the stamina bar for a couple of seconds after getting !!!, if it goes down without you doing anything then it's a mob.

Higher level mobs are harder to reel in, but apart from that there's no way to tell exactly what mob you have on the line.

The best thing to do when targetting mobs is to use a bait that won't attract any of the fish in the area. Fly lure or little worms should work on the manaclipper, and press escape to cancel anything that isn't !!!.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Frodorn
    How much Hp would you guys guess that this NM has?

Would it be Possible for a Kraken Dark to fish it up and burn it down Solo/duo?
    Yes Fro get a KC and I'm sure you can duo it

GL on the KC though :wink:

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Taj
    If you have your ingame music on, you can tell when you've got a monster on the line because it plays a different version of the fishing music. Other than that, there's no legal way to tell which monster you have on your line.

Acutally, it's not a "monster" by that music just a !!! fish, which depending on bait used could just be something like a gugru tuna or something.

It is VERY easy to tell the difference between a !!! fish and a !!! monster just by rod action and stamina depletion. If the rod is moving quickly side to side and stamina is hard to deplete then it's a fish. If it moves relatively little, and stamina goes down without much struggle then it is a monster. THere is (in my experience) no way to tell the difference between which monster by rod/stamina action.

I think you could just go look here http://www.finalfishing.com/Database.aspx for info on what bait can be used there that won't get any !!! hits from fish or items or anything. Obviously wasted casts are just going to give you less time to kill the mob should you fish it up. However in my experience I found that once you hit the area of the ride that allows you to pull it up (when the tourguide on the boat says something about big monsters or something) you usually get it right away or you don't get it at all. I never got the HQ mob, just the smaller one unfortunately[/url]

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You can't kraken it efficiently... when it's in shell it has damage taken-%, so Bloodweapon is pretti worthless. You'd have to Souleater and have someone spamming you with heals.. (and even then it's like hitting aspi in his shell :/)

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

That's correct.

!!! also means like a log or a legendary fish (i think? been a loooong damn time since i played and fished up titanticanuses)

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer

That's correct.

!!! also means like a log or a legendary fish (i think? been a loooong damn time since i played and fished up titanticanuses)
    You can also listen to the message. If its like "this fish is super easy to get!" its most likely a monster. And stuff like "You wont fish this up in a million fucking years, loser" is a normal fish.

One thing i did notice when fishing myself on our trip for it, of the 2 NM that i caught even though the usual easy stanima when catching a monster it was harder. So what happened to me was either i got the NM or a Gugru Tuna. I was using my Composite Rod with a Minnow. Probably not something to count on but just what happened to me.

WarkeDChocobo
    BG Level

With the kraken dark idea, does anyone know what the %- damage is when it is in its shell?