+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level

lolcrawford (Official NBA Playoff Thread)

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... ?p=1881743

kinda ofn but this news excites me

i used to be a huge nba fan but the players' game slowly becoming the ref's game started to bug me more and more and now i hardly watch a game more than once a week

now crawford got what his bitchass deserved!!

might actually go watch the playoff now :D

Tonko

Yay for poetic justice. That guy has made too many off the wall calls for too long, practically flaunting his power. Glad to know they'll be held accountable.

A. Body
    BG Level

it's not just him though, nba officials have made nba basketball into a "soft sport" and the slightest physical contest could get the whistle

really hope this would be the start of something good, return it to the johnson/bird era where players can actually compete somewhat physically

Tonko

To be fair it's as much an issue of strategy & being dramatic about it on the part of the players. I always roll my eyes when someone gets a defensive shoulder and suddenly they fly backwards 5 feet and land on their ass with a pleading look to the ref.

Go go desperate for 4 points.

A. Body
    BG Level

not to mention jump shooters like kobe jumping into someone intentionally to get a call.... i mean what the hell is that!? kobe really is a great player and all but i really don't agree with that shit

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I miss jordan, he just flew wherever he needed to go

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

more signs that the apocolypse is coming. Golden State is making there first trip to the playoffs now in 13 years. Longest NBA drought is over.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I miss Magic. He'd actually pass the ball.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yeah i'm glad he's gone, and it'll probably be his last season as a ref.

in his meeting with one of the nba officials, he was defiant and basically said he wasn't wrong. also put down another senior ref (bavetta who also sucks ass) and cited many instances of dissent.

he didn't sound like he wanted to ref again for the league and i'm sure the commisioner didn't like all the things he was saying, so i can't imagine he'll be back.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    I miss jordan, he just flew wherever he needed to go
    I liked the part where he did even more unbelievable stuff than kobe or anyone else in the league does now... and his opponents didn't get called for a foul just for looking at him too hard.

not to mention jump shooters like kobe jumping into someone intentionally to get a call.... i mean what the hell is that!? kobe really is a great player and all but i really don't agree with that shit

The greats have always done this. Reggie Miller was notorious for this (even more blatant than kobe). If there was a player with in 4 ft of him he would take his jump shot jumping in w/e direction the defender was in flailing every part of his body possible lol.

I hated it then and I still hate it now. Slows the pace of the game down and makes it really boring.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

NBA is the worst professional league out there... well, besides the WNBA of course.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is it ok to say I think Tim Duncan is boring?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by GRT
    it's not just him though, nba officials have made nba basketball into a "soft sport" and the slightest physical contest could get the whistle
    To be fair, they were under pretty clear orders from Stern himself to do so, and not put up with player whining and tantrums over calls. The guy was an asshole over the situation but he'd practically been given license to from the league itself.

Given what your average pro athlete has to do to get suspended for even 3 games these days (sup bryant, artest, hardaway), a lapse in judgement and an egregious abuse of ref powers just doesn't seem to warrant getting him in effect fired from the league. Remove him from the playoffs and fine him sure, but don't bring down the entire hammer on him.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

How about redesigning the sport so that fouls aren't a benefit? I absolutely loathe the last 2 minutes of a basketball game because every team uses fouls as a beneficial strategy.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

ehh only thing I really really hate about the nba is the lack of consistency with the refs. When beating the shit out of people like shaq is a strategy and doesn't get foul's called,but yet you sneeze on someone else and get a foul, you sometimes have to wonder.

A. Body
    BG Level

isn't stern retiring after the season or something? maybe a new commissioner will set better officiating rules

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The NBA is nothing more then a joke. Collage ball is where it's at.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

stern's definitely not retiring. i think it's stu jackson who is stepping back to allow a new vice president.

and yeah time was about right for someone to exclaim how college > basketball.

I agree with about every negative point stated about why the NBA is so bad.

Some teams are very fun to watch however:

Bulls, Raptors, Warrios are all great teams to watch b/c they are very fast paced offenses.

I don't even think you can compare college basketball to the NBA. The NBA product is so inferior it isn't even close.